Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State Wide Police Stings

May 20, 2009

How to avoid state seat belt crackdown

BY MATT HELMS
    FREE PRESS DRIVING COLUMNIST
    Police statewide are cracking down on unbuckled motorists through May 31, but they're giving plenty of warning and ways to avoid the blitz.
    The Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning said the aim is not to raise money but rather awareness, which is why it publicizes crackdown sites ahead of time.

You can find times and locations at www.michigan.gov/ohsp.
    • SPREADSHEET: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/May_mobilization_sorted_all_4-27_278343_7.xls">Seat belt enforcement by county [[.xls file)
    These spots are on the schedule just for today:
    Wayne County: Be warned about police in Detroit on 7 Mile from Van Dyke to Gratiot starting at 7 a.m.; in Livonia at Middlebelt and Joy at 11 a.m.; in Trenton at Van Horn and Fort at 11 a.m., and in Dearborn Heights at Van Born and Beech-Daly at 4 p.m.
    Oakland County: Watch out for sheriff's deputies at Lapeer and Clarkston roads in Orion Township starting at 9 a.m.; police in Waterford at Dixie Highway and Walton at 1 p.m.; in Novi at Taft and 10 Mile at 3 p.m., and in West Bloomfield on Orchard Lake at Maple at 4 p.m.
    Macomb County: Look for police in Sterling Heights on Schoenherr between 19 Mile and Hall starting at 8 a.m.; in St. Clair Shores at 13 Mile and Harper at noon, and in Clinton Township on Groesbeck and Center Line at southbound Van Dyke and 11 Mile at 4 p.m. And that's just a selection of what's in store for today. All southeast Michigan counties are among the 55 statewide in the crackdown involving 300 police agencies that began Monday. The Click It or Ticket campaign is paid through $765,000 in federal funds dedicated to traffic safety enforcement efforts. Contact MATT HELMS: driving@freepress.com.

Of course, the best and safest thing to do is just to, WEAR YOUR SEATBELT.

What a joke. Nothing but a big moneygrab.

Maybe they should send a couple officers out to the MCS and write a few blight tickets. I'm sure the owner can afford to pay.

seems like the man is trying to screw us more and more these days.

Who doesn't wear a seatbelt these days? Let me guess, you're going to roll your car and you want to be thrown clear in case the car bursts into flames? People should get a ticket for not having a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblu View Post
    What a joke. Nothing but a big moneygrab.

Maybe they should send a couple officers out to the MCS and write a few blight tickets. I'm sure the owner can afford to pay.
    Amen brother, nothing but another money grab.

Blarf Guest

If you're an adult, you shouldn't have to wear a seatbelt if you don't want to. We don't need the government making rules to "protect us".

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Who doesn't wear a seatbelt these days? Let me guess, you're going to roll your car and you want to be thrown clear in case the car bursts into flames? People should get a ticket for not having a clue.
    No freakin way should the state mandate seatbelt usage, want to get thrown from the vehicle and splattered on the sidewalk or the road that's your business.The state doesn't give a shit, they just want to generate revenue.

Eastpointe police have been busy on 8 mile td, all day. Watch Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    If you're an adult, you shouldn't have to wear a seatbelt if you don't want to. We don't need the government making rules to "protect us".
    Let's look at this from another point of view. Say you crashed into another car and the driver was not wearing their seatbelt, and was thrown through the windshield and died. You would live with the guilt of causing a death for the rest of your life.

Now, say the driver was wearing a seatbelt. More than likely, you both live another day, although you'll probably get a ticket for the accident.

Another thing to consider is that part of why we all pay high auto insurance rates, is because of the huge costs for injuries received in crashes. By wearing your belt, more often than not, your injuries are less severe. Can you imagine how high rates would be if not for seat belts?

I always hear people complaining how its an intrusion of their freedoms, but last I checked, we have speed limits for our protection as well. Driving is a privilege, not a right. To be able to drive, one must follow the rules, or suffer the consequences.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I always hear people complaining how its an intrusion of their freedoms, but last I checked, we have speed limits for our protection as well. Driving is a privilege, not a right. To be able to drive, one must follow the rules, or suffer the consequences.
    Someone speeding is a danger to themselves and other people. Not wearing a seatbelt is a risk only to the person not wearing it so your comparison is invalid.

I'm sure my principles are for sale, but not for $65. I'd just pay the ticket. I'm convinced that when they do the seatbelt usage surveys, they do it during this period, after weeks of ads and hype. Of course there's going to be a high usage rate.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Someone speeding is a danger to themselves and other people. Not wearing a seatbelt is a risk only to the person not wearing it so your comparison is invalid.
    What about my stated case where a person would live with the guilt of killing someone? All it could take is a simple distraction that causes a crash and then you'd be responsible for a death.

That makes the risk dangerous to both parties, so it is quite a valid comparison.

And plus, what a bad example your showing to your kids for not caring about your life. It's a seatbelt people, if you don't like it, take the bus or walk. Stop bitching about it and put it on. Not putting it [[ohhh, it takes 3 seconds!), is suicide and idiotic.

When the seat belt deal came into efect,I wore mine, Still do, Yet about six months later I bought a car that was pre 66 and didn't need them. A buddy of mine brought up the fact , "What good does this seat belt do when you head will smash into the metal dash?" Of the last 2 tix my "Grandpa" has got they were both seatbelt related. A man of his size would be lucky to get te belt around him.

Without a seatbelt, the risk of spinal injury is greatly increased during airbag deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    No freakin way should the state mandate seatbelt usage, want to get thrown from the vehicle and splattered on the sidewalk or the road that's your business.The state doesn't give a shit, they just want to generate revenue.

guess what? higher death and disability rates from accidents raises EVERYONE'S insurance rates, so yes, it is everyone's business. Driving is a privelege, not a right, and part of that is you have to follow the rules

Whining about seat belt laws is SO 1980's.

Since seatbelt laws make us all so much safer, why haven't we seen decreases in our insurance rates?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    Since seatbelt laws make us all so much safer, why haven't we seen decreases in our insurance rates?

What doesn't kill you, makes you broker.

I wear mine, I don't want to be one of those "should have, too lates." I have kids to set an example for, and I want them to wear theirs, both now and when they're older. Anything that can possible save me from major injury or death as a result of a crash is ok by me

My '08 Ford Escape has chimes that ring if your seat belt is not on when you start the car. About six chimes, and it stops for maybe 20 seconds. Then it does the same thing. On the third time, the chimes bong at a double rate, as though the car is pissed off at you. Pretty impossible to not use your seat belts in that car.

No prob, I swear by them, anyway. Although I confess I resisted them somewhat when they first came out 35 years back.

DRIVING IS A RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    guess what? higher death and disability rates from accidents raises EVERYONE'S insurance rates, so yes, it is everyone's business. Driving is a privelege, not a right, and part of that is you have to follow the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    My '08 Ford Escape has chimes that ring if your seat belt is not on when you start the car. About six chimes, and it stops for maybe 20 seconds. Then it does the same thing. On the third time, the chimes bong at a double rate, as though the car is pissed off at you. Pretty impossible to not use your seat belts in that car.

No prob, I swear by them, anyway. Although I confess I resisted them somewhat when they first came out 35 years back.
    I wrote the software that does that about 10 years ago when I worked at Visteon. The Escape was the first vehicle to get it. It's in all of Ford's vehicles now. There is a way to disable it. It can be disabled for just the current key on cycle or you can permanently disable it. [[The directions to disable it are in the manual. Permanently disabling it involves latching and unlatching the seat belt a bunch of times with a specific combination of key cycles.)

It's nice to be able to point to something and say I made that. [[Even if it has to be one of the most annoying features ever put on a car.)
    Last edited by ndavies; May-21-09 at 11:58 AM.

My only concern about these stings:

Do the officers assigned to these stings respond to calls in the area or are we taking officers away from other policing work to do this. I prefer officers to be in the neighborhoods repsonding to calls or making their presence known in the community as opposed to looking for people not wearing their seat belts.

I suppose the revenue that is brought in offsets the cost of having other officers on patrol but I hope these men and women can respond to things of a higher priority if need be.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    What about my stated case where a person would live with the guilt of killing someone? All it could take is a simple distraction that causes a crash and then you'd be responsible for a death.

That makes the risk dangerous to both parties, so it is quite a valid comparison.
    Why would you feel guilty because someone didn't wear a seatbelt? It's not your fault they didn't wear one. If you feel guilty, that's your problem. Seek professional help.

It's a seatbelt people, if you don't like it, take the bus or walk. Stop bitching about it and put it on. Not putting it [[ohhh, it takes 3 seconds!), is suicide and idiotic.
    No, I won't put it on. What are you going to do about it? Maybe it is suicide and idiotic but that's my decision to make, not yours. If I get a ticket then I'll pay it because that's the law right now.

While I agree that as a whole, seatbelts help more than they hurt, there are instances where they can hinder. If you get in an accident and your seatbelt is damaged while you're wearing it, you could be trapped if your car catches on fire. I believe I should be the one to decide my safety within my car and if the airbag is sufficient protection. $65 isn't enough to make me change my mind.

I don't go around preaching to people why you shouldn't wear a seatbelt so how about returning the favor and stop telling me why I should.

One of the best ways to reduce healthcare costs nationwide would be to have full participation of people on the road wearing seatbelts. The thousands of accidents and necessary medical/emergency attention added by the lack of a seatbelt equates to billions of dollars a year. In the end, these costs are funded by taxpayers, so you bet the government has a right to enforce seatbelt laws. Wear your fucking seatbelt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast