Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Well, this is sobering news....

GOP Cut Crucial Weather Satellite Overhaul in 2011

Cut spending...
    Cut taxes....

GOP, a recepe for disaster. Return to the dark ages.

Be like the tea baggers, when it thunders that means that God is bowling! No need for a fancy schmancy weather satellite!

Whitehouse, How does the E.U.'s weather satellite technology and coverage compare with the US's present and now cancelled improved weather satellite coverage? Do both systems provide worldwide coverage, coverage for only their respective land masses, or do the US and the EU provide weather satellite coverage for each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Tick tock, tick tock...........
    Yes. Yes. Yes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tick tock, tick tock...........
    First of all... Whitehouse lives in the Netherlands.... but you wouldn't know that since you're a newbie... the 6 hour difference would mean an answer either late at night [[if he reads DYES in the AM in the Netherlands)... or a reply sometime tomorrow in the AM or PM.

And why is it that I'm seeing your post count at "0"??

I was just reading up on tornadoes [[it's never been a topic of discussion with German relatives)... and I just read that in Germany [[not the rest of Europe)... they get an F-5 [[strongest) tornado about once every 150 years. An F-4 tornado happens there about once every 40-50 years.

Although Europe does get tornadoes every year... the USA has cornered the world market when it comes to them... at about 1,400 per year [[although only about half that are destructive).

According to this scientific article Europe does NOT get hurricanes....
    http://www.mpimet.mpg.de/en/news/pre...in-europe.html

Interesting....

Dunno - and don't care.
    Don't you have to report your post count so you can get paid ?

According to this scientific article Europe does NOT get hurricanes....
    Well, not like we do, but they do get our remnants. I can remember several hitting the British Isles and a couple hitting Spain, Portugal and France. They may not be officially in the records though and I don't know if they did any damage other than flooding.

US Weather satellites are geostationary and do not observe Europe or other continents.

MeteoSat satellites are operated by EUMETSAT [[a cooperative effort of 26 European countries) and do not observe North America. They do however observe the Atlantic Ocean and are used by weather personnel over here to monitor Hurricanes.

I'm not really into propaganda, so based on the URL of the OP's link, I didn't even click on it.

This article tells the story as a delay partially caused by funding cuts and partially by some misunderstandings, but that it will ultimately go ahead in the next year or two:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...-satellite-gap

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Don't you have to report your post count so you can get paid ?
    Don't tell him that... then we have to divvy up the money pool even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Well, not like we do, but they do get our remnants. I can remember several hitting the British Isles and a couple hitting Spain, Portugal and France. They may not be officially in the records though and I don't know if they did any damage other than flooding.

US Weather satellites are geostationary and do not observe Europe or other continents
    Thanks for that last tidbit Meddle... those satellites have enough work just watching over the USA.

Here's an interesting map of the major cyclone [[hurricane/typhoon) areas of the earth....
    http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/F1.html