Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New restaurant opening in Harmonie Park...

I drove through Harmonie Park today and noticed a lot of construction going on next to Detroit Fish Market. It looks like a new restaurant is going in. They already have a sign up, I believe the name starts with "G." Anyone have any info on this development?

Hopefully the food and service is better than DFM.....

I don't know where this "Harmonie Park " is. Is that near Paradise Valley?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Harmonie Park is now known as Paradise Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Smartass.

I remember when the Penobscot Building name was discarded for a bank name. Try as they might - it didn't work.

i hope Harmonie Park survives.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I remember when the Penobscot Building name was discarded for a bank name. Try as they might - it didn't work.

I have a feeling it will.... BTW isn't the triagular park still called that?

The U Detroit Cafe opened just south of the Detroit Seafood Market a few weeks ago. But I noticed some activity at the building next to that this morning when I walked by. They looked like movie crews. It's the same storefront they blew up a few weeks ago for a movie. My guess is they came back to do some more shooting.

Sorry to disappoint, BrushStart, but I walked by again on the way home, and indeed they are putting up the same storefront they blew up a few weeks ago. The name is GastroCule, or something like that. There's a lot of activity inside, what with carpenters, painters, and important people pointing their fingers at this, and then at that. I just hope if they blow it up again, they have better security. I darn near walked into the shot when it went kaflooey before. Everybody seemed so interested in the filming, nobody noticed this guy who wanted to cut through on his way to work. Fortunately, the sign on the storefront also caught my attention, and as I was wondering who might be moving in, I paused a moment to notice all the tents and film gear, not to mention the firefighters standing by. All right Mr. De Mille, I'm ready for my close-up.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

I wonder if anyone felt this much empathy when I75 begun the destruction of PV and Comerica Park and Ford Field fnished what was left of it?

Hippocrasy at its finest....
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; May-23-11 at 05:23 PM. Reason: capitalization

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, BrushStart, but I walked by again on the way home, and indeed they are putting up the same storefront they blew up a few weeks ago. The name is GastroCule, or something like that. There's a lot of activity inside, what with carpenters, painters, and important people pointing their fingers at this, and then at that. I just hope if they blow it up again, they have better security. I darn near walked into the shot when it went kaflooey before. Everybody seemed so interested in the filming, nobody noticed this guy who wanted to cut through on his way to work. Fortunately, the sign on the storefront also caught my attention, and as I was wondering who might be moving in, I paused a moment to notice all the tents and film gear, not to mention the firefighters standing by. All right Mr. De Mille, I'm ready for my close-up.
    That makes sense... Oh well. Anyways, I didn't even know about U Detroit Cafe, so thanks for pointing that out. It looks pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I wonder if anyone felt this much empathy when I75 begun the destruction of PV and Comerica Park and Ford Field fnished what was left of it?

For reel...

I just wish Hunter House would come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post

I dont know what hippos have to do with anything but how is randomly renaming another part of the city that already had a distinct identity, had its own energy, and then brooming out the neighborhood businesses in favor of the "right kind" of business owner, any better? or is this just "eye for an eye" territory now? BTW, how is Frank Taylor's place doing these days?
    Last edited by bailey; May-25-11 at 03:22 PM.

Darn it, not *this* again...

I'm just glad to see another empty storefront filled. Will be looking forward to the opening!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Darn it, not *this* again...

I'm just glad to see another empty storefront filled. Will be looking forward to the opening!
    agreed English.....
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; May-25-11 at 09:35 PM.

Is this Paradise Valley near Africantown?

Went into the uDetroit Cafe tonight, finally.

Great concept, and pretty decent application of it.

The crowd was decidedly the Detroit I care to be a part of...there was no distinction of race, religion, creed, orientation, musical genre...everyone fit. From the young hip-hop/rap artist and his 'my generation' producer...to Satori Circus in his full white-powdered glory...to a few young bands...to the staff of WHFR radio...to a couple dedicated to Medical Marijuana...to a few of the movers and shakers of the music industry, uDetroit Cafe had such a marvelous diversity that it seemed anyone and everyone will be comfortable.

This surely will get me downtown more often...even their Guinness was reasonably priced.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; August-26-11 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Went into the uDetroit Cafe tonight, finally.

Great concept, and pretty decent application of it.

The crowd was decidedly the Detroit I care to be a part of...there was no distinction of race, religion, creed, orientation, musical genre...everyone fit. From the young hip-hop/rap artist and his 'my generation' producer...to Satori Circus in his full white-powdered glory...to a few young bands...to the staff of WHFR radio...to a couple dedicated to Medical Marijuana...to a few of the movers and shakers of the music industry, uDetroit Cafe had such a marvelous diversity that it seemed anyone and everyone will be comfortable.

This surely will get me downtown more often...even their Guinness was reasonably priced.

Cheers!
    Cool stuff happens there. Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Is this Paradise Valley near Africantown?
    Adjacent to that and German Village, and down the street from Urban Renewal Plaisance

COLORS of Detroit is supposed to open in Harmonie Park on Sept. 11th. It's a restaurant that sources all of its ingredients locally and trains food service workers to make more livable wages in the restaurant industry. COLORS got its start in NYC helping displaced food service workers after the 9/11 attacks on the WTC.

Here is a link to the uDetroit Cafe website...I'm going to start a thread on this place specifically, with the name in the title...so others can keep up with it if they desire.

http://udetroit.com/home.php

Cheers!

As an ethnic German that was in the Harmonie Club while it was still operating... I do have mixed feelings about the name change of the area. However, I'm not getting indignant, because sometimes name changes just don't stick.... some do.... some don't....

Case in point.... how's the "Necklace District" doing?

And when was the last time you were on the James O'Hara Freeway.... or [[and I'm not trying to be disrespectful)... Rosa Parks Freeway??

Midtown is slowly killing off the name Cass Corridor.... Amen...

And Kennedy Square is gone... but Campus Martius came out of hiatus after nearly 1/2 century of near total disuse...

Besides a People Mover announcement... the name "Bricktown" has never really gotten too far.... thanks to some very large parking structures taking up half the district...

So.... names are funny things... sometimes people will be set in their ways.... others go with the flow... some names are commonly used... others rarely used...

Think about that next time your driving over the Douglas MacArthur Bridge...
    Last edited by Gistok; August-26-11 at 10:28 PM.

I liked Detroit's original name:Fort Ponchartrain du Detroit ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast