Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bartock Guest

Default Vandalism at Southfield Ballfield

The field is used by special needs children. Note the name, sorry to hear about this, Vic.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011052...text|FRONTPAGE
    Last edited by bartock; May-23-11 at 12:09 PM. Reason: horrific grammar.

Why are people upset?

The field was unappealing, the graffitti just spruced it up.
    Besides graffittis is similar to primitive cave painting.

"Graffiti is the least of Detroit's [Southfield's] problems."

Probably some CCS student just doing an art project. If we can't appreciate it we're just too square.

It's hard not to be touched when you watch the videos of the kids playing baseball. I remember reading about this years ago and meant to go and watch a game, but never got around to it. I'm going to make a point of seeing a game this year.

http://www.michiganmiracle.org/

When the ghetto comes to Southfield, then comes its stuff!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

L.B. Patterson is not worried about it until it reaches West Bloomfield, TWP.

I miss you so, Neda.

If we all chip in a few bucks, they can get it fixed. Donation page:

http://www.michiganmiracle.org/donate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Probably some CCS student just doing an art project. If we can't appreciate it we're just too square.
    That's about as responsible as me proclaiming "I saw Det ard out there spray painting the shit outta the place and shouting racial epitaphs".

Not unless you've even got a smidgen of proof on the perps, don't even go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    If we all chip in a few bucks, they can get it fixed. Donation page:

http://www.michiganmiracle.org/donate.html
    Great place to go with donations. It's for a great cause.

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Why are people upset?

The field was unappealing, the graffitti just spruced it up.
    Besides graffittis is similar to primitive cave painting.

"Graffiti is the least of Detroit's [Southfield's] problems."
    Seriously get out of the pool now........

-Signed everybody

detroitjim Guest

Wah wah wah!

How the eff does graffiti make the field unusable?

Quit whining and just play baseball.

Incredible to think that those challenged folks will have their world STOPPED because the field that

they play on, is not perfect.

Nothing like teaching them that if a single hair is out of place, they should quit and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Wah wah wah!

Because it says "Fuck you bitch". I can see why they might not want kids to see that every time they go up to bat.

Wah wah wah!

Quit whining and just play baseball.

Incredible to think that those challenged folks will have their world STOPPED because the field that

they play on, is not perfect.

Nothing like teaching them that if a single hair is out of place, they should quit and give up.
    Harsh, but I do question paying $60,000 to fix this problem. Why not just patch it? Find some creative person to come up with a design or even use a team/league logo to cover it up.

In this tough economy many people have to cut back on the money they give to charities so there's only so much to draw from. Also if some other punks spray paint it the future will another $60,000 be needed?
    Last edited by rjk; May-23-11 at 06:12 PM.

Harsh, but I do question paying $60,000 to fix this problem. Why not just patch it? Find some creative person to come up with a design or even use a team/league logo to cover it up?

They discuss why it is hard to fix on the website. Click on the podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    They discuss why it is hard to fix on the website. Click on the podcast.
    The only thing they mentioned on the most recent podcast is that it wouldn't be visually appealing.
    IMO that's just a whole lot of money to make it look perfect. As I mentioned in my earlier post, how do you prevent this from happening again in the future?

The owner of the company that made the surface we play on said that any solvent or abrasive strong enough to remove the graffiti would destroy the rubberized surface. We can't paint over it, because there would probably "ghosting" of the graffiti through the paint. Additionally, it would hamper the drainage system of the field and cause problems during freeze/thaw cycles. And we don't wan't our kids to have to see "Fuck Southfilield" [[sic) and "7-Mile Bitch" every time they come to play ball. Yes, it matters, as it should.

The short-term fix is to cut out the area with the offending words and flow in a replacement patch, which would cost about $7,000. This is only a Band-Aid on the problem. First, it creates new seams in the surface that might cause some of our players to trip; the smooth, rubber surface is essential for safety reasons. It also will look bad. That matters a great deal to us. Our field has been a jewel in Southfield; people have come from other cities and, seeing what we have done, wanted to replicate what we have. The first field in Canada -- in Amhurstberg -- was a direct result of city officials visiting us and wanting what we have for their own.

The best solution is to replace the entire red/brown part of the field. That will cost about $60,000. We couldn't do it until next year. We don't have the money, and it would take a week or more to do everything that needs to be done. We don't want to delay the season; we have decided that come hell or high water, we will begin playing as scheduled on June 4 at 11 a.m.

I've spent 8 years volunteering at the Miracle League of Michigan. None of us has ever been paid for what we do. Sometimes you do it just because it is important. When I went to the field on Sunday and saw what happened, I wanted to vomit. I couldn't have felt worse if it happened at my own home. Our kids can't fight back -- we have to dight for them.

Channel 4:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/27997801/index.html

Channel 2:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110523-wpms

Channel 7:
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/Copy_...lized_75518609

Please help us if you can.
    Last edited by Vic_doucette; May-23-11 at 07:18 PM. Reason: new material

From The Miracle League of Michigan's Facebook page [[please "like" us if you're into that sort of thing):

I'm pleased to report that as a direct result of the media effort to raise funds to fix our surface have been successful. The media coverage today set the bar high and viewers and readers responded in a very kind way. We have raised enough for a patch or similar fix. Thank you to all who cared and donated. Updates on the progress will be available on our podcast and Facebook.

I only had a few dollars to donate, but it appears the repair funds have been raised.
    Last edited by majohnson; May-23-11 at 08:19 PM.

Vic, I'm glad it all ended well, but I'm sorry you and your kids had to endure this.

detroitjim Guest

I didn't say leave the vulgarities intact!

Paint over it with a $5 can of spray and donate the excess contributions to another worthy cause.

Oh wait...... it has to be PERFECT!

NONSENSE

7 grand to fix it Riigghht

60 grand?????

You must have learned your craft from Kwhammy.

owner of the company said
    Last edited by detroitjim; May-23-11 at 09:13 PM.

Vic, so glad you guys raised the funds. Hope you and the kids have a great season.

I didn't say leave the vulgarities intact!

Paint over it with a $5 can of spray and donate the excess contributions to another worthy cause.

Oh wait...... it has to be PERFECT!

NONSENSE

7 grand to fix it Riigghht

60 grand?????

You must have learned your craft from Kwhammy.
    What's up with this guy with the bug up his _ss??

if detroitjim truthfully stands behind what he is typing and not just being a firestarter you can see how the city has become the way that it is. one person with a mentality like that can really do some harm to a community.

nice job on raising the funds to fix this. really it is such a tragedy that this had to happen.

Thanks to those who donated and/or responded with kindness. We appreciate your support.

We have set up a PayPal account for those wanting to donate additional funds. Though the link isn't working right now, I expect it will be fixed soon. You can access it, as well as our podcasts, at http://michiganmiracle.org/donate.html.

And to reiterate: The league starts its eighth season June 4 at 11 a.m. None of us have ever been paid -- unless you count the Diet Pepsi i drink while I'm announcing the games. [[Confession -- I've also been known to have the occasional hot dog.)

The city of Southfield leases us the land underneath our facility for a nominal fee each year. Beyond that, there is no city involvement and no taxpayer funding. The facility cost about $500,000 to build, including about $160,000 for the special rubberized surface that the vandals damaged. If we need to buy something or fix something, we have to depend on individual and/or corporate donations.

It costs $55 to register a player for the season. That barely covers the cost of a jersey, a cap, insurance and the cost of the end-of-the-year party. If we raised the price, many of our families might have to drop out of the program. Having a special-needs kid can be very expensive, and insurance never covers all the costs.

We have a concession stand where we sell food and pretty much anything that we can put a "Miracle League of Michigan" logo on. We make some money on that each week, but it isn't very much.

If you want more information, send an e-mail to MiracleLeague@gmail.com.

Vic- we all applaud you for all that you do because it's ultimately for the kids. No one should ever doubt the good work that you do.

Now for all the nay sayers out there that think it's too expensive or outrageous to "fix" the field- just walk away. Don't donate. Find your own charity to toss your own cash into. Or better yet, your time. If you find that somehow helping this group of fine people out is somehow morally reprehensible, walk away. Rather than judge these people for their wanting to repair the field, where's the outcry about these dumbasses that spray painted that crap on the field to begin with?

That kind of stuff should be unacceptable. To claim it was an art student's "project" or to call this blatant vandalism a way to spruce it up just validates these punks. I doubt if any of you would like it if it happened to your personal property- so don't condone it or accept it.

And now rjk does have a point- how do we prevent this from happening again? Unlike detroitjim's ass buggery- rjk does bring up a good point as to safe guarding this field. As far as any additional funds gained from this repair- I say roll it back in- it's not like The Miracle League of Michigan isn't a worthy cause.

To claim it was an art student's "project" or to call this blatant vandalism a way to spruce it up just validates these punks
    Those were sarcastic references to previous threads on graffiti.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast