Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default RIP Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Used to see him at the old WGPR studio tapings of Big Time Wrestling back in the mid 70's. Back then he was just average size and not using steroids. Always one of my favorites with his climbing on the ropes and flying elbow to the head suplex move. Fun stuff.

You know I wonder how many years of life was cut off by guys using steroids back in there 20's, 30's and 40's. I wonder if his heart attack was related to his steroid usage back when he was younger and building his career.

Not just early on in his career. He was taking steroids for decades. Its just part of what they do to fit that larger than life image they're trying to project. Part of the responsibility obviously lies on the shoulders of the athletes. The other part should be bourne by the wrestling organizations. They are well aware of what their employees are doing. The steroids, the addictions to pain killers [[many of the top guys perform 300+ days / year) I'm surprised other than that one halfhearted shot at Vince McMahon that this recieves so little attention. The list of these athletes who have died young is seemingly endless.

All that being said, Macho Man was a great entertainer and wrestler. I have countless great memories of watching his matches over the years as I grew up.
    Blessings to his family, and may he RIP.

Macho Man was awesome. I had the privelage of meeting him a few times. Great guy outside the ring, he was a class act. I know he and Hulk Hogan had some differences at the end there, and they never did make up with each other, that I know of.

But I thought Mach was a decent guy, May he RIP.