Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Parents of the Year Nominees jailed after attack on DPS Principal, staff, students

2 parents arrested after allegedly beating Detroit school principal, teachers, students
    3:28 PM, May. 20, 2011

Two parents were arrested today for allegedly beating up several students, teachers and the principal at a Detroit school, a school district official confirmed.

The mother and father of a student at Parker Elementary on the city’s west side arrived at the school today to follow up on an alleged fight involving their child, according to Jennifer Mrozowski, a spokeswoman for Detroit Public Schools.

“The parents grew upset, the situation escalated and the parents allegedly assaulted the principal, teachers and some students,” she said.

The mother and father were arrested on disorderly charges and an investigation is continuing. No serious physical injuries were reported.

“While this case is being investigated, DPS wants to make clear that we will bring down the full force of the law against anyone who comes into our schools, disrupts teaching and learning and threatens or harms our students or staff,” Mrozowski said.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011052...text|FRONTPAGE

Not shocked.

Buy American Guest

Typical of parents not taking responsibility for their children and blaming others.

Where is it reported that they are "Parents of the Year Nominees"? Is this just a made up embellishment to stir up interest? If they are POTYN can they accept their award while incarcerated? Would it be a Detroit first? It's a really good headline though if it's true.

DetroitPole Guest

Shoot the landlord, beat up the principal. Sadly, as long as people like this make up a significant number of Detroiters, Detroit can never come back.

I understand drastic action from people who have nothing to lose, but these individuals all apparently have quite a bit to lose. So I'm not sure why they lack the qualities that make us human. Adults solving minor life issues with savage violence? It would be funny if not so tragic. You can't make this up. And what is the hope for people like this? Just hope you're not the next person to shoot them a "dirty look" or have a disagreement with them and lose your life over it or get beat down? It's enough to make this dyed-in-the-wool liberal want to start packing heat, in case any folks of such caliber want to pick a fight.

Is this just a made up embellishment to stir up interest?
    More like tongue-in-cheek. Something like the Darwin Awards.

This kind of thing really burns me, it makes me feel moreso than ever that the major problem with education is not the teachers or the board or the administrators but its the parents.
    Remember the incident in River Rouge late last year where the father went to shake the teachers hand then punched him. Put the teacher in the hospital.

This sends a terrible message to the children, they think that everytime theres a disagreement with a school official they can get there parent to come up to school to curse and punch out teachers, administrators etc.

These parents are excusing their childs bad behavior, so the child thinks why should I stop. In the case of a real disagreement between the school and the child the parent needs to talk it out, and the child needs to see the two sides discuss the issue and come to some sort of compromise or agreement so that they understand thats how you resolve an issue.

I really hope they come down with the full weight of the law with that parent.

What's lacking in this story is any reporting on what allegedly upset the parents. I'm not trying to justify their behavior if it is as it is reported. But the reader doesn't know that. You're reading the DPS version of events with no effort to report on the parent's version. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    What's lacking in this story is any reporting on what allegedly upset the parents. I'm not trying to justify their behavior if it is as it is reported. But the reader doesn't know that. You're reading the DPS version of events with no effort to report on the parent's version. Just saying.
    Thats true, but in a school situation I don't care what upset the parents you don't handle the situation in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Shoot the landlord, beat up the principal. Sadly, as long as people like this make up a significant number of Detroiters, Detroit can never come back.
    True. Very sad as well.

I understand drastic action from people who have nothing to lose, but these individuals all apparently have quite a bit to lose. So I'm not sure why they lack the qualities that make us human. Adults solving minor life issues with savage violence? It would be funny if not so tragic. You can't make this up. And what is the hope for people like this? Just hope you're not the next person to shoot them a "dirty look" or have a disagreement with them and lose your life over it or get beat down? It's enough to make this dyed-in-the-wool liberal want to start packing heat, in case any folks of such caliber want to pick a fight.
    I am with you, but disagree with the bolded. These parents are still human. They may be amoral, lack character, or even be downright evil, but we shouldn't kick them out of the species simply because we dislike their actions. Doing so stops us from examining our own selves/beliefs/lives honestly.

I saw the story on the news yesterday. What a shame!

What kind of upset could possibly justify a physical attack? Whatever upset them, there is no excuse for their behavior. They were there to discuss a fight involving their child. Given their behavior, I see little hope of the child ever learning to resolve things without fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    More like tongue-in-cheek. Something like the Darwin Awards.
    So the part of the thread title... "PARENTS OF THE YEAR NOMINEES" .... was just your spin on "sleazy journalism"... blog style....

Nice!

It's fun throwing fuel onto the fire....

The next in-service will feature self-defense techniques.

I don't hope-I avoid at this point. 'Hope' isn't enough! Violent, edgy people are going about operating from the 'wish' perspective! Indeed WISHING someone 'would' say or do something so they can GO OFF with justification!

That observed fact being understood, I deal from the position of preparedness and care.

As things get more angst with people exhibiting less self control, I'm more apt to keep my passer-by comments or even facial gestures to myself.

Some ACTUALLY take 'sport' in the opportunity to apply a 'beat down' for a [[perceived) slight.

Regarding gun ownership: NO you do not have to be a card carrying 'NRA member' to consider this option. All legal gun owners are not repubs, tea party folks or conservative.

More citizens locally have simple decided beyond prescribe politic behavior-alignments to have the means to preserve their lives should they have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    ...Just hope you're not the next person to shoot them a "dirty look" or have a disagreement with them and lose your life over it or get beat down? It's enough to make this dyed-in-the-wool liberal want to start packing heat, in case any folks of such caliber want to pick a fight.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-22-11 at 08:01 AM.

What a bunch of losers. And its too bad people like this procreate.

Not surprised
    That mentality has sunk Detroit.

In all fairness to Detroit this type of unexceptable behavior is happening country wide ,when I was growing up teachers were respected even revered for the job that they did and if you laxed on that aspect there was always that paddle with the holes drilled in it.

I hope that the school stands behind its claim to not tolerate this in anyway and back the teachers fully,a lot of other school systems are starting to hold the parents accountable legally but I think that it is not going to effect some no matter what you do.

The Parents of the Year thing was funny, come on people, lighten up.

Since we all were not tossed into a firey pit yesterday during the End of Days, I guess this pair of parents weren't signs from Ghozer. Too bad

Some comments from the girls father.
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ool-in-detroit

Now if only we could find a way to get the parents to rush to school for parent teacher conferences we'll be all set.

The TV news piece was disturbing, probably being "disrespected" like they've done a damn thing to do deserve respect anyway.

Probably sucked for the parents to lose pay leaving work early to check on the children......
    Oh and thank god for cellphones, if Americans had any brains they would use cell phone scramblers in half of places. Nah, signs will keep folks from talking on the phone at school, court and work.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    The TV news piece was disturbing, probably being "disrespected" like they've done a damn thing to do deserve respect anyway.

Probably sucked for the parents to lose pay leaving work early to check on the children......
    Oh and thank god for cellphones, if Americans had any brains they would use cell phone scramblers in half of places. Nah, signs will keep folks from talking on the phone at school, court and work.
    I think you've hit on a fundamental problem in Detroit - TV "News". They are in the business to exaggerate and make every event appear worse than it really is. [[even the weather). I have a theory that every station has a secret Special Ops Department that is for use when there's no news. I think [[tongue in cheek) when news is scarce they can send out an operative from this dept. to discreetly light fires or shoot a place up so that so that 1) they have something to report, and 2) they are first on the scene. It's only a theory, but the repetativeness of such occurrences in Detroit are suspicious.

NO, that's not happening. These kinds of parents are too busy for that nonsense !
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    ...Now if only we could find a way to get the parents to rush to school for parent teacher conferences we'll be all set.

"Don't you know who the f$&@ I am!"

Welcome to MY world. Cell phone scramblers should certainly be used in schools. The kids cause nothing but havoc with them, calling their people to the school for petty stuff. I really don't understand why families would get involved in drama at school, anyway [[they don't protect their child, they come to cause trouble). If I would have called my mother because someone was picking on me in school, she'd have laughed and told me to shrug it off [[I"m not talking serious bullying). If I called her to the school because a teacher had somehow treated me "poorly", she would have whooped my ass when I got home for being stupid. Had she texted me when I was in school and I texted back during class, she would have whooped my ass for not using class time appropriately. She would have done this, repeatedly, as a test. When I was in school, the school had total authority over me [[in my parents' eyes). What happened at school was never enough...I got it when I got home, too, for making my parents look bad. They never questioned the school, whatever happened was ALWAYS my fault. I never got into any trouble at school...ever. I knew what the rules were in my house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast