Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    agrahlma Guest

Default Broadway and Gratiot

Does anyone have intel on this building on the corner of Gratiot and Broadway? Over the past two weeks my wife and I have noticed several guys in suits taking tours of the building - on more than one occasion. Then tonight we saw several men moving things out of the building into moving triucks. I asked if the building was sold, but none of them knew.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...263.74,,0,4.47

It is the Cary Building. Is or maybe was owned by Boydel Development.

Keep us apprised of the going on's

Is this business still there? Might explain the suits.

Your #1 Metro Detroit Medical Marijuana Dispensary
    $15 Grams while they last!!

We're located right in the Heart of Downtown Detroit in the Cary Building at:

225 Gratiot Detroit 48226

We are just blocks away from Greektown and other major attractions.

Why drive all the way to Ann Arbor, or use an unreliable delivery service, when Green Alternatives is just a short drive away?

A couple of failed restaurants had made an attempt of operate out of that building. The building has great potential

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is this business still there? Might explain the suits.

Your #1 Metro Detroit Medical Marijuana Dispensary
    $15 Grams while they last!!

We're located right in the Heart of Downtown Detroit in the Cary Building at:

225 Gratiot Detroit 48226

We are just blocks away from Greektown and other major attractions.

Why drive all the way to Ann Arbor, or use an unreliable delivery service, when Green Alternatives is just a short drive away?
    Yep - that place is still there. The suits were walking through the ground level - where the restaurant would have likely been.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Yep - that place is still there. The suits were walking through the ground level - where the restaurant would have likely been.
    There was a little restaurant/deli place on the ground floor of that building for about 5 minutes last fall.

agrahlma Guest

The ground floor space has been cleaned-out and the windows are now covered from the inside. Looks like they are starting to do some work in there.

I saw a semi backing up into the alley behind it last week.

I was watching the building on my satellite and saw a black cat walk past the front door maybe the reason for the bad luck? I will check tomorrow when I re-task.

I've been to several great parties in this building. Are people still residing in the lofts?

agrahlma Guest

Yes, there are people living on the 4th floor. I see people going in and out all the time.

agrahlma Guest

I went home for lunch today and I noticed a couple of things going on here. First, the medical marijuana shop was packing-up boxes and loading them into a car - looks like they’re on their way out. Next I noticed that the 1st floor space on the corner of Gratiot and Broadway now has some interior walls framed-out. I’m very curious to see who/what moves into the first floor.

I've never seen these lofts advertised anywhere. Must be passed on by Secret Squirrel word of mouth.

agrahlma Guest

I noticed a building permit attached to the first floor store front. The applicant’s name is Daniel Robin [[Flint, MI), and the purpose of the build-out is a physical therapy location. So I looked-up Daniel Robin and this is what I found

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...daniel_ro.html

Oh man that's a real charming story about those two idiots....

agrahlma Guest

And in a completely unrelated story from Queens, NY...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7424614
    Last edited by agrahlma; November-06-11 at 09:26 AM.

Well, that looks suspicious.

LOL, if your picture in the news story is a mug shot, then it's pretty obvious what's going to happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    I noticed a building permit attached to the first floor store front. The applicant’s name is Daniel Robin [[Flint, MI), and the purpose of the build-out is a physical therapy location. So I looked-up Daniel Robin and this is what I found

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...daniel_ro.html
    Seriously, the name Giacalone didn't ring any warning bells? [[Not to mention the robbery, larceny, and illegal gambling convictions). Just sayin...

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Seriously, the name Giacalone didn't ring any warning bells? [[Not to mention the robbery, larceny, and illegal gambling convictions). Just sayin...
    I didn’t think I needed to go there, but OK fine -- him too.

Occurrence Guest

Hey, the mob still does exist.

Put a coffee shop on that site instead. It could cater to those attending events at the Oprea House, Ymca theatre the tigers and lions games as well as those who work in the surrounding area. It would be big enough to accomdate

The Carey Building is owned by Dennis Kefallinos so I wouldn't get my hopes up for a high quality development any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The Carey Building is owned by Dennis Kefallinos so I wouldn't get my hopes up for a high quality development any time soon.
    The owners of some of these buildings downtown are part of the reason why Detroit's downtown hasnt thrived in years. The owner of the Carey building had leased that space out to any poor excuse of a proprietor who doesn't know a damn thing about running a restaurant or a business. It would had been nice if a place such as 1515 Broadway[[without the theatre) could had opened a coffee/sandwich shop in that spot. Many people feel that the corner is too busy with car traffic. I don't think so. I think that the location is great especially with that mezzanine above the ground floor. The owner had given two failed restaurant a chance; why not give a coffee shop a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The owners of some of these buildings downtown are part of the reason why Detroit's downtown hasnt thrived in years. The owner of the Carey building had leased that space out to any poor excuse of a proprietor who doesn't know a damn thing about running a restaurant or a business. It would had been nice if a place such as 1515 Broadway[[without the theatre) could had opened a coffee/sandwich shop in that spot. Many people feel that the corner is too busy with car traffic. I don't think so. I think that the location is great especially with that mezzanine above the ground floor. The owner had given two failed restaurant a chance; why not give a coffee shop a chance.
    It just needs the right sort of restaurant, although I agree with you that the owner is a problem. You see, the restaurants that tried opening there were mediocre delis, nothing special [[and there have been a string of failures in this category downtown including the ice cream shop/deli on Monroe, the two failures this Broadway/Gratiot spot, and a failed place on E Grand River next to Al's Paradise Cafe). We need something unique. There are no Indian restaurants anywhere in Detroit [[not including Hamtramck), the one Ethiopian place that exists [[in Eastern Market) is mediocre and they don't even cook the food on-site, but rather drive it in from Southfield [[yuck!). Not to say we don't need more deli places, we need more of everything [[specifically more deli places like Russell Street or Mudgies). But we need more unique places, food Detroit doesn't offer [[yet).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast