Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dan Gilbert Propositions Channel 95.5 to Move to Detroit

Apparently, Channel 95.5 Mojo in the Morning interviewed Dan Gilbert today about the Cav's draft pick, but the conversation quickly turned to Gilbert questioning why Channel 95.5 was not in the "real" Detroit. For those of you who don't know, 95.5 broadcasts from Farmington Hills. Gilbert told Mojo that he expected a call after the interview and that he would set them up with windowed studio downtown. From what I was told, it sounded like a challenge had been issued. Gilbert was serious. And, I like it.

I doubt he was serious, unless he's just that woefully ignorant.

Maybe he should redirect that question to the management at Clear Channel, they're the ones who consolidated all of their stations into that quaint office park in Farmington Hills, including several stations that had broadcasted from downtown forever.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-18-11 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I doubt he was serious, unless he's just that woefully ignorant.

Maybe he should redirect that question to the management at Clear Channel, they're the ones who consolidated all of their stations into that quaint office park in Farmington Hills, including several stations that had broadcasted from downtown forever.
    Well, I didn't hear the interview personally, I was told what was said second-hand. But, I doubt Gilbert was actually trying to "make a deal" on the radio, but rather issue some public scorn for Channel 95.5 calling themselves "Detroit's Hit Music Radio Station" and not actually being in Detroit. He may have also wanted to get his message out that downtown Detroit is making a comeback. I think Detroit's business leaders should be following his lead, putting more pressure on their peers to do business in Detroit.
    Last edited by BrushStart; May-18-11 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Well, I didn't hear the interview personally, I was told what was said second-hand. But, Gilbert might not have been actually trying to "make a deal" on the radio, but rather issue some public scolding for Channel 95.5 calling themselves "Detroit's Hit Music Radio Station" and not actually being in Detroit. He may have also wanted to get his message out that downtown Detroit is making a comeback. I think Detroit's business leaders should be following his lead, putting more pressure on their peers to do business in Detroit.
    Well the FCC's regulations forces a media outlet to be licensed to their market's city center, no matter where they're actually located in the market. That probably has a lot to do with their slogan, as having "Detroit" in the slogan versus "SE Michigan" or "Oakland County" and being associate with a big city helps you stand out more.

As for Clear Channel, that's a brand new facility. I doubt that they look forward to moving back downtown anytime soon. But I don't think Gilbert's scolding was fair in this case, because the folks at 9.55 no longer have control of where their studios are located.

That is pretty badass. Gilbert has some serious flaws, but that sonuvabitch loves Detroit and I love that.

When are the Cavs moving downtown?

A week or so ago in a TV Dan Gilbert was asked about the sale of the Pistons. He replied that there is no professional basketball in Detroit. That Auburn Hills is not Detroit. He also pointed out that there are only 2 major sport franchises that are not in urban environments: The Sacramento Kings basketball team which have been threatening to leave Sacramento, and the Pistons. He made it very clear that stadia should be in the core cities. I love it.

He should have bought the Pistons and sold the Cavs.

Apparently Gilbert is unaware of the concept of metropolitan areas and regional identification.

And maybe that "badass" Gilbert should move out his home in the dreaded Oakland County. Move to D and raise your family there if you're so anti-suburb.

Yeah, he probably should!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Apparently Gilbert is unaware of the concept of metropolitan areas and regional identification.

And maybe that "badass" Gilbert should move out his home in the dreaded Oakland County. Move to D and raise your family there if you're so anti-suburb.
    I think he has plans to. I'm pretty sure he bought one of the 4,000 sq. ft. penthouses in Broderick Tower pre-construction.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    He should have bought the Pistons and sold the Cavs.
    I was just thinking "can we swap?"

Quote Originally Posted by tompage View Post
    A week or so ago in a TV Dan Gilbert was asked about the sale of the Pistons. He replied that there is no professional basketball in Detroit. That Auburn Hills is not Detroit. He also pointed out that there are only 2 major sport franchises that are not in urban environments: The Sacramento Kings basketball team which have been threatening to leave Sacramento, and the Pistons. He made it very clear that stadia should be in the core cities. I love it.
    Even the Kings play in Sacramento. The Pistons is the only NBA franchise that does not play in a facility located in the city for which the team is named.

If you think the Pistons are in a better location in Auburn Hills than downtown we completely disagree. Taking out the whole Detroit-booster part of it, it's so much better for fans if the team was downtown [[better location for Detroit residents, downriver, western suburbs, etc.).

bartock Guest

I think he has plans to. I'm pretty sure he bought one of the 4,000 sq. ft. penthouses in Broderick Tower pre-construction.
    Wow that will really make him a "real" Detroiter then. Sounds like he's already scorning anything and everything that isn't in the "real" Detroit. He's gonna fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by tompage View Post
    He replied that there is no professional basketball in Detroit. That Auburn Hills is not Detroit. He also pointed out that there are only 2 major sport franchises that are not in urban environments.
    I would think most sport franchises aren't in urban environments. I don't know which two he's talking about, but he's dead wrong.

In the NFL, certainly, most stadia are outside of city centers.

In the MLB, it's a mix, and depends on definition of "urban" or "city".

MLS is overwhelmingly suburban.

NBA and NHL are mostly urban, but plenty of exceptions.

Just looked it up for fun-

By my count, 13 of 32 NFL teams play in or relatively near a region's central business district.

bartock Guest

Gilbert isn't the only one.

I still can't figure out what makes one a "real" Detroiter. There are many Detroit-centric people on this board, but it's like some are 1/3 through their lives, signed the lease on their loft last year and now act as though the "Motor City" is in their blood because they see homeless people more often, live near skyscrapers, and occassionally hear or pretend to hear gun shots. Funny, for 25 years of living 10 miles outside of city limits and support local sports teams and regional identity, it didn't matter. But now, among maybe 15% of the region that actually lives in city limits, suburban boys and girls become Detroit snobs. I'd like to know how long you have to live in Detroit, and during what part of life, in order to "qualify" as a Detroiter? It's all horsey urine.

Heck some teams don't even play in the same state that their named for. NY's Giants and Jets

LOL at MLS being included as a major sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    http://www.scoresreport.com/2010/04/...n-nba-and-nhl/

The major media coverage isn't there, but the fanbase is. Check out the league attendance averages.

Well, I didn't hear the interview personally, I was told what was said second-hand. But, I doubt Gilbert was actually trying to "make a deal" on the radio, but rather issue some public scorn for Channel 95.5 calling themselves "Detroit's Hit Music Radio Station" and not actually being in Detroit. He may have also wanted to get his message out that downtown Detroit is making a comeback. I think Detroit's business leaders should be following his lead, putting more pressure on their peers to do business in Detroit.

Does Gilbert read or post on DYes?

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    http://www.scoresreport.com/2010/04/...n-nba-and-nhl/

The major media coverage isn't there, but the fanbase is. Check out the league attendance averages.
    That average would go down significantly if MLS had anywhere near the number of franchises as the other professional leagues.

I think he's talking about just basketball teams. In one interview I saw, he mentioned that it was just Detroit and Sacramento that have suburban basketball stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    MLS has higher attendance and much higher TV ratings than NHL, so it should definitely be included.

And, unlike NHL, MLS is national in scope. Almost no one cares about NHL in 90% of the country.

I think we have a bit of a skewed perspective here in Detroit. We're Hockeytown, and don't have an MLS team, so we may not care, but nationally, the situation is usually reversed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast