Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is the story of this building at 2nd and Forest in Midtown?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=De...49.28,,0,-4.45

I've gone past this building so many times, and each time I wonder why it hasn't been redeveloped. It is in a solid area with a strong rental market near Wayne State. It is also very beautiful. It looks like the building was the victim of a fire, but why hasn't anyone taken the effort to rebuild it? Anyone recall what it was like prior to its current state, who owns it, and if there are any plans for restoration?

lilpup Guest

It's called the Forest Arms and was occupied when it burned about three years ago. The last I heard the UCCA was still working on financing for repairs.

There's a DY Hall of Fame thread about it - http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/127226.html
    Last edited by lilpup; May-18-11 at 09:48 PM.

While I agree that it's a nice looking building, I can't imagine the damage that is inside. Notice the complete lack of a roof.

They finished putting a new roof on it last spring. They also fixed alot of the masonry that had been damaged on the outside of the building. The windows appear sealed. Local gossip says the owner is still try to secure financing to finish it.

I could have sworn I saw a sign that said it was opening in the near future. That used to be the old location for People's Records, no?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    It's called the Forest Arms and was occupied when it burned about three years ago. The last I heard the UCCA was still working on financing for repairs.

There's a DY Hall of Fame thread about it - http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/127226.html
    The reconstruction of the Forest Arms Apts. had been stopped since Spring of 2009 due to financial red tape and poor City of Detroit building code bureacracy of RED TAPE! Until I see some construction workers resuming the project. The Forest Arms Apts. will be just another Midtown eyesore for years to come.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

The Union Apts on Cass and W. Warren Ave. will be finished in August and its almost full and will be ready for new tenants to enjoy every expensive luxury border dorm-like living.