Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mitch Albom/Frank Beckmann debate Michigan Film Credits

Found this discussion interesting. Mitch won hands down.

http://www.wjr.net/FlashPlayer/defau...613&ID=2188928

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Found this discussion interesting. Mitch won hands down.

http://www.wjr.net/FlashPlayer/defau...613&ID=2188928
    Agree. I like Frank Beckmann, but Mitch kept his cool and stayed on point - too many smart ass comments by Frank. Then he berated Mitch for interrupting him - when Frank was the one that kept doing all of the interrupting. Beckmann’s attitude and jabs were very unprofessional.

I'd like to say they both sounded like a pair of prima donnas in a slap spat over tutu colors, but It would give tutu wearing men a bad name.

32 minutes of "I'm right, you're wrong." really? 32 minutes of flaming silliness. Beckman proved he's an ass and Albom proved his rightness is gospel.

fuck them and their 50,000 blowtorch of anal leakage.

I agree gnome, 32 minutes with very little ground covered. It could have been a much more thoughtful discussion. In the end, I think Beckmann sounded like the bigger ass.

Not surprised that Beckman came across as a blowhard who shouts above and belittles any opposing points of view. With the exception of Albom's afternoon show, the rest of the station's programing is nothing more than right wing propaganda.

The only debates on this subject that matter will be the ones that take place in Lansing just prior to the House and Senate votes.

The only issue to be settled is how much of the State's new-found revenue from pensioners will be siphoned out of the General Fund each year and given to filmmakers.

I'd like to know how Beckmann got that job. The few times that I've listened to him he's been dreadfully boring.

We've got an open slot to fill, let's just move the sports guy over?

ah ! I can see it now... Coming to a 50,000 watt blowtorch near you ! Listen to the battle between the right wing-nut vs the author of stories that aren't true. Who do you have your money on ?

J.P. is rolling over. Never would have heard this crap on Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    i'd like to say they both sounded like a pair of prima donnas in a slap spat over tutu colors, but it would give tutu wearing men a bad name.

32 minutes of "i'm right, you're wrong." really? 32 minutes of flaming silliness. Beckman proved he's an ass and albom proved his rightness is gospel.

Fuck them and their 50,000 blowtorch of anal leakage.
    lol lol lol lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    The only issue to be settled is how much of the State's new-found revenue from pensioners will be siphoned out of the General Fund each year and given to filmmakers.
    I think you meant to say given to all the companies that will benefit from the new reduced business tax.

In the last few years Frank Beckmann has become more and more conservative in his views. Paul W is just as bad. And Rush, well that says it all. I stopped listening to this station years ago. JP would roll over in his grave to see what has become of this station.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    In the last few years Frank Beckmann has become more and more conservative in his views. Paul W is just as bad. And Rush, well that says it all. I stopped listening to this station years ago. JP would roll over in his grave to see what has become of this station.
    Right wing talk radio is very profitable and bottom line its not the content its the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I think you meant to say given to all the companies that will benefit from the new reduced business tax.
    Did I miss something? Where in the changes to the business tax laws did Snyder and the legislature slip in a direct credit that will be given to Michigan's non-film businesses on their in-state expenditures? Was it open-ended like the current film credit or capped like the proposed changes to the film credit?

Of course, we both know that has not happened. So enlighten us on how Michigan's non-film companies are benefiting from the General Fund revenues that have been boosted by the taxation of pension income as if it were ordinary wages?

Beckman couldn't stick to the point. He wanted to make it more about how Mitch was going to benefit from this and quite frankly Mitch was going to get paid regardless if his film was shot here in Michigan or wherever. So maybe Mitch doesn't have to fly to Hollywood or to some other incentive ladened state to shoot, but it wasn't like he was getting any major perks for this. Hell, for once I applaud Mitch [[Lordy!) for wanting to keep his product in this state and dole out some work to the people here.

wow, how suprising, a liberal with his iron in the fire supports taking taxpayer money to fill the pockets of his buddies in the film industry...

so he'd make the same regardless of the incetives or not... in his mind why not take all the government cheese.... to me this is the same as the guy that won the lottery still using his food card.....

17. Default

Mitch Albom a liberal?? Don't make me laugh and don't tell that to his striking newspaper brothers and sisters who he scabbed-out and got awarded, among other things, with a position as a faux liberal at WJR. This is right of center vs. far right, with both taking stances to fill their own pockets.

And, BTW, I do not support the film industry credits as structured and generally loathe all forms of corporate welfare. Unfortunately a degree of this is necessary as there is no national control over this race to the bottom to lure industries to the states. Even when swallowing that pill, the credits given to the film industry were way out of line.

That industry and its capital is highly mobile, does not set down roots and, just watch, will fly away as quickly as they flew in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Mitch Albom a liberal?? Don't make me laugh and don't tell that to his striking newspaper brothers and sisters who he scabbed-out and got awarded, among other things, with a position as a faux liberal at WJR. This is right of center vs. far right, with both taking stances to fill their own pockets.

And, BTW, I do not support the film industry credits as structured and generally loathe all forms of corporate welfare. Unfortunately a degree of this is necessary as there is no national control over this race to the bottom to lure industries to the states. Even when swallowing that pill, the credits given to the film industry were way out of line.

That industry and its capital is highly mobile, does not set down roots and, just watch, will fly away as quickly as they flew in.
    That might indicate where you stand politically more than where he does. I'm fairly moderate in my political views and am liberal on most social issues. There's ho way that Mitch is right of center or even in the middle. He might not be a Rachel Maddow liberal, but most of his views fit in the liberal ideology.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    That might indicate where you stand politically more than where he does. I'm fairly moderate in my political views and am liberal on most social issues. There's ho way that Mitch is right of center or even in the middle. He might not be a Rachel Maddow liberal, but most of his views fit in the liberal ideology.
    Don't be fooled. He has shown his stripes. He is "liberal" as long as it suits his need$. When it came to making a stand on his professed principles we saw where he stood -- on the right. If judging one by their actions ahead of their words reveals my politics then I am guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

the democrats will sell out their fellow liberal union members to their benefit as evidenced by the vote to restrict public union bargaining in Massatuchetts... [[sp).... didn't see the outcry similar to wisconsin... but they did vote against the unions... unions, teachers, african americans..... all pawns in the liberal democrat game....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Did I miss something? Where in the changes to the business tax laws did Snyder and the legislature slip in a direct credit that will be given to Michigan's non-film businesses on their in-state expenditures?

So enlighten us on how Michigan's non-film companies are benefiting from the General Fund revenues that have been boosted by the taxation of pension income as if it were ordinary wages?
    You know damn well that the proposed tax to pensions was to fund a shortfall in the budget because Snyder scrapped the business tax. Instead of the businesses paying higher taxes, the Republicans are shifting the burden to the tax payers. Besides, the pension tax has been scrapped.

As for the film credits, they were proposed by some Republican congressmen as a way to generate a new industry in Michigan and Granholm endorsed the idea. It really was thinking outside the box.

As a result, numerous industries like restaurants, hotels, car leasing, catering, security and scouting companies reaped the benefits. Not to mention all the behind the scenes editing, production, etc. jobs that go with films.

Then, vocal cons across the state started to complain about the credits because they believe everything Hollywood must be liberal, and therefore evil. They convinced enough sheep in Lansing to repeal said credits, and can take all the credit for all lost jobs and revenue to the above mentioned businesses that made money off the film industry.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; May-21-11 at 09:48 PM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    You know damn well that the proposed tax to pensions was to fund a shortfall in the budget because Snyder scrapped the business tax. Instead of the businesses paying higher taxes, the Republicans are shifting the burden to the tax payers. Besides, the pension tax has been scrapped.

As for the film credits, they were proposed by some Republican congressmen as a way to generate a new industry in Michigan and Granholm endorsed the idea. It really was thinking outside the box.

As a result, numerous industries like restaurants, hotels, car leasing, catering, security and scouting companies reaped the benefits. Not to mention all the behind the scenes editing, production, etc. jobs that go with films.

Then, vocal cons across the state started to complain about the credits because they believe everything Hollywood must be liberal, and therefore evil. They convinced enough sheep in Lansing to repeal said credits, and can take all the credit for all lost jobs and revenue to the above mentioned businesses that made money off the film industry.
    Dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards. And it's edited. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards. And it's edited. Congrats.
    Rather than just calling it dumb, why don't you enlighten us and tell us where the post went wrong. Substantiate your accusation if you can.

Quite honestly certain parts of the post were factual- the film incentive thing was a Republican idea that was endorsed by Granholm. And numerous industries beyond the film makers did prosper during the productions.

Now if you want to skewer the rest- produce the goods to oppose the view.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Rather than just calling it dumb, why don't you enlighten us and tell us where the post went wrong. Substantiate your accusation if you can.

Quite honestly certain parts of the post were factual- the film incentive thing was a Republican idea that was endorsed by Granholm. And numerous industries beyond the film makers did prosper during the productions.

Now if you want to skewer the rest- produce the goods to oppose the view.

Do a site search for film tax credits and there are six pages on it. You have participated in those discussions, and so has Detroitj72. And so have I, and so have many others. The goods are there, I readily admit to laziness when it comes to citing a bunch of stuff that's been cited before.

Yes Republicans introduced the bill, I'm not partisan about my dislike of it. I agree that some industries beyond the film makers prospered during the productions, at a net loss to the rest of us. The irony is that the $1.8 billion business tax break that does not discriminate towards a transient industry is universally slammed by those who favor the film industry breaks, as though THOSE CEOs are somehow better than THESE CEOs. Not to mention, the film industry is not precluded from enjoying the $1.8 billion break.

And I'm not saying I support the $1.8 billion. I do think it covers a much broader range of businesses and businesses that are much more likely to STAY. If it doesn't work, and work quick, and if the net result is a loss of tax base due to retirees leaving, I'll be happy to vote Snyder out and lobby to restore the pension exemption or whatever colorful term it was called.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    The goods are there, I readily admit to laziness when it comes to citing a bunch of stuff that's been cited before.
    I admit the goods are there but I just wanted you to realize that when all you did was flame a thread by calling it the "Dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards"- it just begs to be supported even if it's a call to look up the other resources. Just a blanket statement calling someone else's comments inane serves no one any good and just sounds like playground trash talk. A good healthy dialogue supported by facts and resources is that much better... so thanks for supporting your previous comment,