Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Millionaire Still Using Food Stamps

I bet he won't be using food stamps when officials see this interview!

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article...ng-Food-Stamps

Millionaire Still Getting Food Stamps

11:06 PM, May 17, 2011 | comments

Written

Devetta Blount

Auburn, MI-- Most of us dream of winning the lottery to escape a life of poverty and government assistance.
    However, CBS Affiliate WNEW in Michigan found a man who won $2 million on a game show and he is getting food stamps, which is paid for by taxpayers.
    In 2010, when he wasn't rich, Leroy Fick won his millions on a Michigan lottery show called "Make Me Rich!".
    A year later, Fick confirmed to TV5's Reporter, Bill Walsh, that he still uses food stamps.
    Fick's logic for still using the card, is because more than half his winning went to taxes. Fick and his attorney said the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card.
    Fick and his attorney claim they contacted all the necessary officials but Fick was not denied the card.
    When the reporter asked about why he think's it's okay to continuing getting food stamps, Fick told him, "If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."
    Click on WNEW to watch this story.
    Neighbor's told the station that they have seen Fick driving a new Audi convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    Written Devetta Blount
    Auburn, MI-- Most of us dream of winning the lottery to escape a life of poverty and government assistance.
    However, CBS Affiliate WNEW in Michigan found a man who won $2 million on a game show and he is getting food stamps, which is paid for by taxpayers.
    In 2010, when he wasn't rich, Leroy Fick won his millions on a Michigan lottery show called "Make Me Rich!".
    A year later, Fick confirmed to TV5's Reporter, Bill Walsh, that he still uses food stamps.
    Fick's logic for still using the card, is because more than half his winning went to taxes. Fick and his attorney said the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card.
    Fick and his attorney claim they contacted all the necessary officials but Fick was not denied the card.
    When the reporter asked about why he think's it's okay to continuing getting food stamps, Fick told him, "If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."
    Neighbor's told the station that they have seen Fick driving a new Audi convertible.
    My favorite bumper sticker reads,
    "Jesus Loves You...everyone else thinks you're an asshole."
    ....We don't care if he doesn't feel bad. We still think he's an asshole.
    I agree with the other poster who said, "Wait 'till the police read the article."

So whats new ! All kinds of shady scams going on. All the time.

At least the guy admits it. I guess if I won 2 million and the government took over 50% of it back in taxes I'd in a weird way be bitter too.

lilpup Guest

They should rack him up for fraud. Surely he's had to re-qualify at least once since winning in 2010.

Let him pay the money back, be on probation, and do [[substantial) community service. He's not the cause; he is a symptom. Far too many in this society want something for nothing. They believe they are owed something.

It's the states fault. He won a state lottery, paperwork I'm sure was filed and his card should have instantly been deactivated.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Let him pay the money back, be on probation, and do [[substantial) community service. He's not the cause; he is a symptom. Far too many in this society want something for nothing. They believe they are owed something.
    I disagree. Whomever in the state that didn't properly shut his card down that should have should be punished.

lilpup Guest

That's not how it works, jerry. People have the right to claim some lottery prizes anonymously. The fraud comes when he fails to file accurate asset/income figures when he re-certifies for benefits. It's willful deceit on his part.

I don't know what the penalties are for food stamp fraud, but I know the penalties for fraudulently collecting unemployment benefits are huge.

According to what I have read online about this incident the jackass has actually done nothing illegal. Unethical, repulsive, etc, but not illegal.

Lottery winnings are not considering as income when applying for State aid [[The qualifications are actually somehow determined by the Federal Government). Net worth is also not considered, but I doubt that's a common issue for those applying for the aid. The government dropped the ball on this one, and hopefully this injustice will lead to the loophole being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post

Written

Devetta Blount

What he is doing is allowed by law - not that i agree with it; but the most iniquitous aspect of the situation is that although he won $2 M [[of already taxed money) he received less than $1M because the IRS tax winnings. So you could argue that the government have confiscated more than $1M from him and are paying him a little back in food Stamps. The fact is he's a net contributor to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    That's not how it works, jerry. People have the right to claim some lottery prizes anonymously. The fraud comes when he fails to file accurate asset/income figures when he re-certifies for benefits. It's willful deceit on his part.

I don't know what the penalties are for food stamp fraud, but I know the penalties for fraudulently collecting unemployment benefits are huge.
    I guess my point is that it's typical Michigan failing. There are so many other people than this guy that have Bridge Cards that shouldn't. Recently I was at 7-11, saw a guy use a Bridge Card, paid cash for some liquor that wasn't the cheap kind [[there is a 7-11 by my house that has liquor) and he then walked outside and got into his 2010 Cadillac. The state lets people use these card out of state, and for things that shouldn't be covered by it. The card should only be able to be used in food stores and not ATM's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I guess my point is that it's typical Michigan failing. There are so many other people than this guy that have Bridge Cards that shouldn't. Recently I was at 7-11, saw a guy use a Bridge Card, paid cash for some liquor that wasn't the cheap kind [[there is a 7-11 by my house that has liquor) and he then walked outside and got into his 2010 Cadillac. The state lets people use these card out of state, and for things that shouldn't be covered by it. The card should only be able to be used in food stores and not ATM's as well.
    This is not a Michigan failing. It is federal law, Michigan has to follow this law to receive the federal dollars that pay for FAP benefits or face huge sanctions.

9mile&seneca Guest

The US [[Uncle Stupid) is about to give 100Billion Dollars to the International Monetary Fund. I'm grabbing whatever I can. I'm with him.

So when the rich getting richer off the Welfare Cheese, The poor still get poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So when the rich getting richer off the Welfare Cheese, The poor still get poorer.
    Why doesn't this piss off the liberals. We need a march on Washington to stop stupid subsidies for people who don't need the help.

I think it is based on if you are helping 100 people to survive and 25 are scamming it is worth the loss to help the majority.

You do not make money off the rich you make it off of the poor,notice most of the new projects going on are a direct result of fed dollars because of involving "poor" related issues.

But more on topic I would not feel right if I had won the lottery and still collected,guess I was raised a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But more on topic I would not feel right if I had won the lottery and still collected,guess I was raised a bit different.
    Me too, Richard. Not only would I refuse aid, I would designate some my winnings to food pantries, soup kitchens, etc.

I was kind of agenst this guy from the beginning after hearing about the story, but he brings up a good point that the Goverment took half his winnings for taxes.

If the guy paid over a million dollars in taxes, and he asked the state and they said he could still use his food stamp card, then I don't see an issue.

If I was in this guys shoes, I would take the food stamp card and go to the grocery story and spend every penny thats available on the card. Load the food in my truck, and take it over to the soup kitchen, or the local food bank.

Up until 4 years ago and the computers were not linked the PR's used to collect bennies in PR then move to NYC and set up there and collect separately then move to FL and collect again , IE collecting from three different cities at the same time. Talk about scamming billions and we wonder why.