Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Council eyes deep cuts to Cultural Institutions

I don't know maybe its me, but this seems to be more of the same ole Detroit thinking.....cutting things that should be saved for our next generation.
    And then there is the disparity between different venues as to how much is cut.....
    Not sure what is going on here, but something isn't right.....
    What are your thoughts?
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...l-institutions

This is pitiful! I even heard that Detroit Zoo will NOT get any more city grant money! I was wondering why The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History recieves over 2.5 million dollars more the any other city institutions? Now since they are getting $975,000 in grants, the institution still leads with more grants.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

I SMELL RACE CARDS going on as more DOOM and GLOOM in Detroit continues.

I say that politicians wanted the low-income, po'folks and mostly black leaders in Detroit to FAIL and move on so that recievers can take over and add their 'Richie Rich' dressing to Detroit's image.

I miss you so, Neda.
    Last edited by Danny; May-18-11 at 07:30 AM.

I am curious as to what determines how much is given to each institution.

Detroit black city leaders has 2 options:

1. Cut the arts

2. Cut police, fire EMS services

If you were city council what choice do you all make to save money?

I will choose number 3 CUT THEIR PAY!

To be fair, this isn't necessary spending. Police and services are necessary.

If the DIA wants more money, then raise ticket prices or hit up the rich donors. Seems like nonsense to ask poverty-stricken Detroit for support. They send me free tickets sometimes, because they want me to sign up for membership. Maybe end that scam.

The zoo has record attendance and new regional funding, so they don't need a penny from Detroit.

I love Eastern Market, but it's seriously taxpayer subsidized? That should probably end.

As for the Wright museum's funding, that's ethnic politics, but Detroiters are hardly the first to play that game.

SO rather than regionalize these institutions, the Council is just going to let them rot away slowly?

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    To be fair, this isn't necessary spending. Police and services are necessary.

If the DIA wants more money, then raise ticket prices or hit up the rich donors. Seems like nonsense to ask poverty-stricken Detroit for support. They send me free tickets sometimes, because they want me to sign up for membership. Maybe end that scam.

The zoo has record attendance and new regional funding, so they don't need a penny from Detroit.

I love Eastern Market, but it's seriously taxpayer subsidized? That should probably end.

As for the Wright museum's funding, that's ethnic politics, but Detroiters are hardly the first to play that game.
    Its a common misunderstanding that ticket sales and ticketing fund museums and cultural institutions. They make up a small fraction of funding for these institutions. These places are so expensive to run that they rely mostly on big donations and membership. Sending out free tickets isn't really costly for these institutions, its about fundraising. After all, it doesn't cost them anything to have additional people in the building.

Now, these places don't really ask Detroit for support. They've just been getting this money since time immemorial.

This sounds like really, really bad news but even as someone who has direct experience and employment in a non-profit institution, these are not the core function of a city. Back in the glory days, the city could throw money at things like airports and museums, but they can't anymore.

Here is where I think the good news comes in: The economy has rebounded, especially in Michigan. It isn't great, but its a lot better than 2 years ago. Major donors and corporations [[many of these places were heavily dependent on the Big 3, which cut all their funding during their crisis) so they should be able to make up that money. That is the way they're designed to make that money in the first place, anyway.

What really gets me is the Charles H. Wright. 2 million dollars, really? For an organization that has a one star charity navigator rating, which means they aren't managing their money well:
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=6980
    I know, I get it. A "black" city sending millions they can't afford to an African cultural institution, while throwing far less at other venerable institutions. Real cute. I like the Charles H. Wright, but I don't like my taxes going for monetary racial favoritism like that. This should give them a good swift kick in the ass to do some cleaning and get that above a one-star rating.

Here is the part that is going to be unpopular: If worse comes to worse, the region should pay a millage to support these institutions. For all the suburbanites screaming about regionalism and how Detroit won't cooperate with the suburbs, the time to step up to the plate may come very soon. However, I have serious doubts this will happen. These institutions have long been enjoyed by suburbanites while being supported directly from Detroiters' tax dollars.

The Zoo did it, but location, location...I think if these places propose a millage their will be fury and outrage from suburbanites because they're in Detroit.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; May-18-11 at 11:39 AM.

Eastern Market's subsidy is only 60-some odd thousand. It wouldn't be bad for them not to need subsidies, but it's a rather small amount - as are most of the ones listed in the article. We're talking 6 figures, for the most part.
    Last edited by fryar; May-18-11 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Here is the part that is going to be unpopular: If worse comes to worse, the region should pay a millage to support these institutions. For all the suburbanites screaming about regionalism and how Detroit won't cooperate with the suburbs, the time to step up to the plate may come very soon.
    I'd be all for a regional millage to support cultural institutions, as long as it was distributed equitably throughout the *region* It would go into a pool to support the Zoo, the DIA, the science center, the Henry Ford, Cranbrook, the Detroit History Museum, Fairlane, etc... If it would encourage a "Citypass" style ticket that would give access to all the area attractions, so much the better.

I wouldn't give any portion of a regional tax to Cranbrook.

Great insitution, but massive endowment.

They don't need help, and museums are a small part of their mission.

Same old leaders will lead to less change in government. New leadership will lead to better society. Please don't vote your same old leaders. Get new leaders with new principles. WE WANT CHANGE, and it starts with new leaders.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

The Soviet Union collapse due to same old dictator-like leadership causing the Marxist ideology to turn upside down. Detroit is easily compared with the Soviet Union.

Neda, I miss you so.

12. Default

We are members of the Henry Ford, Zoo and of the DIA and hence already pay much more than a millage. I'm a huge fan of these institutions and gladly support them. A regional millage wouldn't help me justify the hundreds of dollars that I already give to them, but I'm also unlikely to stop my personal support of these institutions. I'm lucky to be able to give to institutions that I believe in, and believe me, we take good advantage of them all with our frequent visits. The DIA especially is an amazing, world-class museum.

Detroit City Clowncil might also have a problem "giving away" their Detroit-located "jewels" with a regional millage, and hence the decision to do nothing/let them rot.

So instead of concentrating on where the real fraud is lets sidetrack everybody,other cities are finding ways to keep culture and the arts because they realize the important role they do play in residents lives.One step forward three steps back.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    other cities are finding ways to keep culture and the arts because they realize the important role they do play in residents lives.
    What cultural and art institutions are in the suburbs, besides the Henry Ford, Cranbrook, and maybe Fairlane? And what cities are funding them?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    What cultural and art institutions are in the suburbs, besides the Henry Ford, Cranbrook, and maybe Fairlane? And what cities are funding them?
    I was referring to the core city as in Detroit,the suburbs were really never designed to support the arts etc, more so as an alternative to urban living and you drove into the city to enjoy those aspects.

Other cities as in in other states.

cul·ture [kúlchər]
    noun [[plural cul·tures)
    1. arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities, considered collectively
    Culture is necessary for a healthy society.
    popular culture

2. knowledge and sophistication: enlightenment and sophistication acquired through education and exposure to the arts
    They are people of culture.

3. shared beliefs and values of group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people
    Southeast Asian culture

4. people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong
    5. shared attitudes: a particular set of attitudes that characterizes a group of people
    The company tries hard to avoid a blame culture.

6. improvement: the development of a skill or expertise through training or education
    physical culture

So given the current "culture" of Detroit why would anybody choose the remove the very tools set in place to educate those that need it the most?

Its kinda like saying we are going to rebuild this house but lets start by pulling the foundation out from underneath it first.

There are plenty of cultural venues in the suburbs, but obviously the biggest venues are mostly downtown.

Within about 2 miles from my house, there's Village Players Theatre, Birmingham Historical Museum, Community House, Detroit Ballet, St. Dunstan's Playhouse, and all the Cranbrook institutions.

Vox Guest

Once upon a time, cities could afford the massive expenditures related to arts and culture. Nowdays, not so much. Detroit probably should take a hard look at what it is doing regarding all the cultural institutions in the city. I would think that an across the board cut in all would be the best thing for the city to do, not at the expense of a few to spare the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Within about 2 miles from my house, there's Village Players Theatre, Birmingham Historical Museum, Community House, Detroit Ballet, St. Dunstan's Playhouse, and all the Cranbrook institutions.
    To most that would be considered a desirable place to live and add value in a real estate listing,it boils down to quality of life issues ,an investment by the city for the future benefits.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Here is the part that is going to be unpopular: If worse comes to worse, the region should pay a millage to support these institutions. For all the suburbanites screaming about regionalism and how Detroit won't cooperate with the suburbs, the time to step up to the plate may come very soon. However, I have serious doubts this will happen. These institutions have long been enjoyed by suburbanites while being supported directly from Detroiters' tax dollars.

The Zoo did it, but location, location...I think if these places propose a millage their will be fury and outrage from suburbanites because they're in Detroit.

So you make a blanket statement that the suburbanites need to step up to the plate, and then in the very next statement you contradict yourself by indicating that the very same evil suburbs voted in a regional tax to support the zoo?

Incidentally, I belong to the DIA and support it with a substantial amount of money each year...even though its not located in the suburbs. I think you have it backward - its the city residents who would scream, piss and moan about the "precious jewels" of the city.

You can't have it both ways - If they are Detroit's "precious jewels" then Detroit should support them. If Detroit is willing to open up the management of these institutions to regional control, then we can talk about a regional tax. Until then, it's just more Detroiters with their hands out, asking for "cultural institution welfare".

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    I think you have it backward - its the city residents who would scream, piss and moan about the "precious jewels" of the city.
    That's why when there was a ballot proposal a few years ago to create a regional tax to support the area's cultural gems, it was voted down by the suburbs. At the same time, the city residents passed it by a 2 to 1 margin, with no screaming, pissing or moaning heard or felt.

Does it bother anyone that the Detroit Ballet is in Birmingham? I know, I know...people need to feel safe, ect...But still, it rubs me the wrong way. It should be in the city.

The historical museum got cut by 75%.

The DIA got cut by 75% as well.

The AA Museum got cut by 50%. It will be receiving over 4 times as much money as the other two COMBINED.

I say cut the AA Museum to bring its money closer to the levels that the others are getting, and spare the rest. If the AA Museum was brought down to 500,000, the same as the DIA, the city would save 1,500,000 instead of the 1,237,000 it would be saving in the current plan, and the institutions would be better off as a whole.

Aren't we out of feet to shoot ourselves in yet?

BUT IT'S OK!!!

They want to cut funding to DDOT, which means no one will go to these institutions, which means it's ok to cut funding to them to because no one will be there. I KNEW IT!!

I'm going to go punch myself in the face now...

Arts institutions cannot be sustained on ticket prices alone. As with all important culturally-enriching institutions, they require public support - and we need to support them. If we truly would like to cultivate an educated populace [[both in the city and in the region) we need to make a commitment to education, cultural institutions, and the libraries. The DIA is the most important cultural amenity in the State. If it isn't sponsored by some local governmental entity, then we can kiss it goodbye.

As for Eastern Market, how else would you fund it? I don't think that the fees that farmers pay could ever sustain the area, especially with all the improvements that the EMC has been making over the past couple of years.

I am for making the museums regional owned or operated. They would stay open and probably could afford more exhibits. I had always believed the Charles H Wright Museum, as beutiful as it is, had bitten off more than it could chew. The museum should had been smaller and more practical. That is what Charles H Wright original plan was for the museum. The museum had finally came into the black late last year. That was according to one of the employees who work there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast