Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ron Cameron & Bob Page

Does anyone know what Ron Cameron & Bob Page are doing these days? Are either one of them hosting a show on sports talk radio? Is Bob Page working in New York? Didn't Cameron open a sub shop in Detroit, is it still operating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-Jiip_iFw
    I think Page retired from his MSG gig in NY.

Cameron has a show on 1130 am on Sunday afternoon.

Page was a fill in on a national sports radio show about 5 years ago and referred to Cameron as the meanest man he's ever known. I don't know what happened between them, but he had absolute disgust in voice when he talked of Cameron.

Page is retired, and I think he spends time in Florida. Cameron is very much in the area, and, as rjk noted, has a sports radio show, as he has for much of the past 35 years. Both Page and Cameron are true Detroit characters, but for very different reasons.

Page is very smart and talented, but his cyncism toward the big-money world of sports contributed to his losing jobs at WJR radio and WXYZ-TV. Unlike Don Shane, for example, Page did not attend celebrity sports golf tournaments and act like the jocks were his heroes. Yet he was good enough for New York, and he worked there for quite a long time.

Cameron is much more of a street guy. He's the opposite of the smooth Page, but he's a hustler, and he always seems to have deals going to own parts of small-time restaurants and minor-league sports franchises. He worked as a minor-league umpire and has hanged around the Detroit sports scene since he was a kid. He once had a show on WXYZ radio, and he broke the story -- huge at the time -- that Bo Schembechler would become president of the Tigers. He's very knowledgeable, but highly bombastic.

I think that Cameron has a show on WCXI/1160 AM in Fenton. I don't know when it airs, but I am pretty sure I have heard him there recently, most likely a weekday afternoon. You should be able to hear it in most of the northern suburbs. The station website is useless for scheduling information.

The show is brokered, as is pretty much everything on the station. The host buys time from the station, then sells his/her own spots, and/or uses the time to promote their other business interests.

thanks for the update. I was always a big fan of Page and was upset when he went to NYC. It seems like he didn't play his politics very well in his Detroit jobs. Its a shame because not matter how talented you might be and Page seemed to be one of the best, if you don't play your politics folks will knock you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    The show is brokered, as is pretty much everything on the station. The host buys time from the station, then sells his/her own spots, and/or uses the time to promote their other business interests.
    He does the same thing on WDFN. I think he does everything and it kind of shows. His show doesn't have a very high production quality to it and it's not well organized.

On that show the two of them had back in the mid 80's Cameron always looked like he just rolled out of bed and threw on a wrinkled up shirt. I don't even think he ran a comb through his hair. Page was just the opposite with a clean polished look about him. You could always feel an uneasiness between the two of them with most of it coming from Page toward Cameron. I almost expected Page to reach across the desk and slap him.

One of the local papers in town recently did a story about a house Page still owns, I believe on Evergreen, in Detroit. The story talked about how Bob bought and lived in the house in the 80's and has rented it out since he moved out. The article was mainly about how he may just walk away from the home because the tenants pay sporadically and there is an abandoned home next door which is infested with rats.

Ran into Page at a Tiger game a year or so ago. Had a great time talking to him, particularly about his show on WJZZ [[I think) many, many moons ago. I don't listen to jazz [[generally) but I would always tune into his sports show.

Cameron is on 1160 on Friday morning from 9:00am until 11:00am. The number is 248-5571460 for call in questions. He has stated that he dropped out of school in the 9th grade. One of his early jobs was night manager at the downtown hotel where the Tigers opponents stayed.