Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Notre Dame High School dances

For anyone out there who remembers the Friday night dances in the late 1950s and 1960s at Notre Dame, Fr. John Bryson, who ran the dances, passed away in Framingham, Massachussets last night [[May 16th).

He has been in ill health for the past few years. According to his sister, Irene, he was suffering from a combination of dementia and depression.

I spoke with him in in the early 2000s about the records, posters, etc. that were used for the dances. When he went to Grand Rapids to be an assistant to the bishop, the school tossed out evertything from the dances. What a waste of memoribilia.

Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    For anyone out there who remembers the Friday night dances in the late 1950s and 1960s at Notre Dame, Fr. John Bryson, who ran the dances, passed away in Framingham, Massachussets last night [[May 16th).

He has been in ill health for the past few years. According to his sister, Irene, he was suffering from a combination of dementia and depression.

I spoke with him in in the early 2000s about the records, posters, etc. that were used for the dances. When he went to Grand Rapids to be an assistant to the bishop, the school tossed out everything from the dances. What a waste of memoribilia.
    Fr. Bryson organized and promoted many of the famous record hops, dances, and later concerts in the late 50s, 60s and 70s at NDHS. Most teens on the east side back then knew what was happening at ND on Friday night. The dances gained fame not only through the local press and noted DJs but by featuring stars such as Smokey Robinson, The Rolling Stones, and the MC5. Bob Seger, the Frost and the Amboy Dukes were also featured there on more than one occasion. Fr. Bryson was my freshman homeroom teacher at ND. He was gregarious and yet very humble. Several years after I graduated from ND I attended a soccer game where my son happened to be playing against ND. At half time I took a trip down memory lane and walked through the school. Lo and behold there was Fr. Bryson doing the same thing he was doing 30 years before...loading the vending machines. He had the same expression, smile, and humility that he had over 30 years previous.

Rev. John W. Bryson, S.M.
    December 8, 1923 ~ May 17, 2011

John William Bryson was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on December 8, 1923, son of John and Leola [[Landry) Bryson. He was professed in the Society of Mary at the novitiate in Staten Island, New York on September 8, 1946 and ordained in Boston on July 25, 1953. In fifty years of active ministry, John ministered forty-five years as teacher, primarily at Notre Dame High School in Harper Woods, Michigan and was legendary as the “disc jockey priest” for ND record hops. In 1983 he was honored by the city of Harper Woods for his contributions to the betterment of the city’s residents. John also served as the much valued personal assistant to Bishop Joseph Breitenbeck in his early years as bishop of the diocese of Grand Rapids, Michigan. He returned to Massachusetts to spend his senior years at The Marist House in Framingham and Elizabeth Seton

Rev. John W. Bryson, s.m.
    December 8, 1923-May 17, 2011

My band played there a number of times in early 1967. Going out the backdoors we discovered a priests lounge.....complete with beer tapper.

Yeah, we indulged a little, & considered it payment for our services.

Of course Rev. Bryson knew nothing of this.

Attend many, many dances at ND in the late 60's. "Cherish" was always the last song of the night.

Fr. Bryson carried a notebook during the dances to record his observations. A buddy of mine swears he saw him write "boy in white shirt dancing too close with girl in yellow sweater". He would separate couples whom he thought were enjoying too much physical contact. He was a good, humble man.

Wayne County Commissioner Tim Killeen [[a Detroit DeLaSalle grad) acknowledged Fr. Bryson's life and legacy today at the Wayne County Commission meeting.