Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Budget trip to Paris

Hi guys!

I am flying to Paris on vacation. The problem is that I am on the tight budget. I need any advice on stretching the buck [[more appropriately - euro) there. Any help would be appreciated. Places to visit, eateries to dine, transportation to use. Any tips and tricks to make it fun and cheap. Much obliged!

P.S. So far, the only certain thing, is a place I am staying at. Paris discount hotel Verlain that supposed to be dissent. Any info about this joint will be appreciated also.

Thanks!

GUSHI Guest

Good luck with that budget, all the feedback I got from friend and family members said its really pricey, esp w the weak dollar. Keep your wallet close to you alot of pick pockets.

Do you have your ticket squared away yet? When are you going? LOT Poland is offering $629 r/t from Chicago. Adding your own flights to Ohare from DTW made the total $850 all in in Nov/Dec.... [[or you could do the megabus and save even more)....Nothing under around $1000 showing up directly from Detroit,...

Your hotel seems cool with decent prices. We caught some specials from the Ibis chain which is a lot like a "souless American chain," but my kids loved it....It could be a in the 50 euro range if you are lucky [[and depending on what size your party is)...

Default Paris

Don't visit a chain! Go to DesMoines if you want cheap chain food. You can buy baguette, cheese and wine for incredibly cheap for your own lunches and delicious dinners in the smaller bistros around town. Invest in a corkscrew and borrow the glasses from your hotel. If they offer continental breakfast, eat it because they'll charge you anyway! Don't try and eat on the Left Bank but wander deeper through the neighborhoods till you find something food. The daily special is usually your best bet.

Make sure you visit Cimetière du Père-Lachaise - Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde, the french communards and some over-rated 60's singer are all buried there. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Do you have your ticket squared away yet? When are you going? LOT Poland is offering $629 r/t from Chicago. Adding your own flights to Ohare from DTW made the total $850 all in in Nov/Dec.... [[or you could do the megabus and save even more)....Nothing under around $1000 showing up directly from Detroit,...
    Hell, if you're flying LOT, that means you have to connect in Warsaw or Krakow and backtrack to Paris. You might as well just stay in Poland and have a much better time for far less money. :-)