Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Southfield FWY. is closed until October

Well folks, this is it. Southfield FWY from Ford Rd. to the City of Southfield is closed due to construction and will re-open until October. How are you forumers get to your destination without using Southfield FWY, any thoughts?

I think this is an opportune time to think and reflect just how "necessary" freeways must be if we can just shut them down for five months at a time.

Your tax dollars at work, perpetuating the status quo for no additional return on investment.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I think this is an opportune time to think and reflect just how "necessary" freeways must be if we can just shut them down for five months at a time.

Your tax dollars at work, perpetuating the status quo for no additional return on investment.
    Freeways are very important - they get you from Point A to Point B quickly. They are also very necessary...theoretically you could also shutdown the airline industry for five months and still be able to get to your destination. Everyone would be angry though since it'd take a hell of a lot longer.

Anywho, REALLY sucks that Southfield will be shutdown, but this is completely necessary. We bitch and whine about our roads and Southfield clearly needed fixing. I'll deal with it...but want it done as soon as humanely possible. Evergreen will be my road of choice from Dearborn to Bloomfield tonight for a function.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Anywho, REALLY sucks that Southfield will be shutdown, but this is completely necessary. We bitch and whine about our roads and Southfield clearly needed fixing. I'll deal with it...but want it done as soon as humanely possible. Evergreen will be my road of choice from Dearborn to Bloomfield tonight for a function.
    As you imply, I'm pretty sure people will be able to cope just fine without the Southfield Freeway.

If everything weren't so damned spread out, you might not need to move as "quickly" to get to your destination. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    As you imply, I'm pretty sure people will be able to cope just fine without the Southfield Freeway.

If everything weren't so damned spread out, you might not need to move as "quickly" to get to your destination. Just food for thought.
    I completely agree that we are too spread out and I hate sprawl. Nonetheless, the reality of the Detroit area is we are sprawled beyond belief. Sometimes it is imperative to get from Point A to Point B in a very short amount of time and freeways are the only way to do it. I'd most certainly prefer we had a massive subway system to take care of this, but we don't.
    Last edited by stinkytofu; May-16-11 at 01:50 PM.

ferntruth Guest

Freeways are very important - they get you from Point A to Point B quickly. They are also very necessary...theoretically you could also shutdown the airline industry for five months and still be able to get to your destination. Everyone would be angry though since it'd take a hell of a lot longer.

Oh don't pay any attention to GP. If the sentence doesn't include anything about a magic choo-choo that will save Detroit, then GP is not interested in it.

I don't drive this freeway much, but I heard it was mainly drainage issues being repaired as well as ramps, not the actual freeway. And I've heard a lot of people complain about the deplorable condition the freeway is in, so why aren't they fixing that as well well it's shut down?

No, it is much more than just drainage, its everything from M-10 to McNichols.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...471---,00.html

M-DOT even put a video up on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag3YgALN0AE
    Last edited by DTWflyer; May-16-11 at 07:06 PM.

Back to the original post question-I'll be using Telegraph on an as needed basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Back to the original post question-I'll be using Telegraph on an as needed basis.
    I wound up taking Telegraph tonight and it was fine...then again it was at 8ish.

Evergreen will be my road of choice from Dearborn to Bloomfield tonight for a function.
    That might be OK for an occasional evening trip, but you won't like it for the daytime rush. And I feel really, really sorry for anyone living on it.

I see a huge increase in accidents on Greenfield, Evergreen, Burt Rd, Lahser and Telegraph as traffic backs up and people get impatient and start running the lights.

On the flip side, Redford and Dearborn Heights should get a nice bump in their budgets from all the additional traffic tickets.

IF YOU TRAVEL EVERGREEN:

Sorry about the caps, but I implore you to call the Wayne County Road Commission Traffic Department and ask for Phil McGuire and ask him to please, please, please, re-time the light at Fenkell. This light has been mis-timed since the installation of the left turn lane SIX YEARS AGO, and causes traffic to back up almost to Midland [[heading south) and at Stoepel Park [[heading north).

Put the number in your phone, because if you use Evergreen as a detour, you will soon be sitting at this light.

[[734) 955-2346 Wayne County Road Commission, traffic department, Phil McGuire.

This is the major north-south thru-way for the 6th precinct, as well as other emergency vehicles. As someone who frequently works near this corner, it is unimaginable why this light has been allowed to remain this poorly timed for as long as it has been, and as far as I'm concerned, a prime example of why this city is broken.

I have been to neighborhood city hall, talked to officers, and called the city and county regarding this light. I give up. Bombard the department with calls please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    since the installation of the left turn lane SIX YEARS AGO, and causes traffic to back up almost to Midland [[heading south) and at Stoepel Park [[heading north).
    OK, now that's just plain stupid. There is NO freakin' way either street was wide enough to do that. I used to live a couple of blocks from there. I had to go see the Street View image to see what you were talking about.

Side questions; NE Corner, I don't remember a business there, but the gas station doesn't look like it survived very long. What happened to the apartment building on the north side of Fenkell between Auburn & Plainview?

Meddle, the In & Out Party store was on the NE corner until about 5 years ago [[if you recall it was a 7-11 until the early 80s). It was torn down in lieu of a gas station, much to neighborhood opposition. That gas station went out of business after 1 1/2 yrs of operation, sat vacant and stripped for three more years, then re-opened last fall. We will see if they cut the grass.

The building on the corner of Auburn was not an apartment building but an old repair shop, [[they had an old VW logo) and was vacated 20 years ago. It was torn down more about ten years ago, and has had that familiar 45 degree path cut thru the middle of it, like most vacant corner lots in urban areas. BTW, that house next to the repair shop [[vacant lot) is a two family flat built in the early 20's, is decked out in mahogany trim, ornate plasterwork, and original farmhouse kitchen sinks [[in very good condition), the bathrooms are original as well.