Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Upscale Nightclub in Stott Building

http://www.freep.com/article/2011050...-over-30-crowd

The David Stott building was purchased 10 months ago by Florida company Luke Investments and is being turned into an upscale nightlife venue."I fell in love with the building," says operations manager Mike Carney, who expects the first of the building's occupants, Skybar, to open this month.
    Skybar and Lounge occupies the basement and first floor of the 38-story building. It has 20-foot ceilings on the main floor, a marble bar top and Moroccan light fixtures hanging over a bar lighted in orange. The two floors have about 4,500 square feet of space.
    "I don't want the club atmosphere," says Carney. "My target audience is the financial district -- business professionals."
    Construction of the bar was completed over the past 10 months, but Carney must wait to get approval of a liquor license before Skybar can open.
    From the wines to the martinis to the tapas, "everything is going to be upscale," says general manager Frank Mourtos. "We're concentrating on the upscale crowd with the discriminating palate."
    The lounge will have live music ranging from jazz to salsa. Drinks will be $5-$10 and tapas $7-$13.
    Other plans for the 82-year-old building call for private clubs on the top three floors.
    Thoughts? It could be the first step in making Capitol Park a 24-hour neighborhood...maybe that coffee shop with DJ tables would re-open... Still, it seems a little weird to have an empty skyscraper with a club in the basement and one on the top floor.

What exactly are these multiple penthouse "private clubs"? The private club era generally passed decades ago. Folks generally like nesting at home, or they want democratic public mixing.

Everything but the DAC is gone downtown. The suburban country clubs are apparently desperate for members.

I get mailed "invites" to country clubs/Bloomfield Hunt Club/Detroit Yacht Club despite my limited earnings and young age; probably because they're desperate for young folks and see I live in an affluent zip code.

There are private clubs all over the City. On Michigan Ave in SW Detroit there is an odd place with no windows, nicely kept. "Hazel's Place" is listed as a private club. I have seen an event or two happen there and it appeared to be thuggish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What exactly are these multiple penthouse "private clubs"? The private club era generally passed decades ago. Folks generally like nesting at home, or they want democratic public mixing.
    Thanks for making decisions for us.

If someone thinks he can make a buck with that space, I say knock yourself out.

This must explain why their are giant lit-up Martini glasses on the top of the Stott at night?

New business downtown and new life for a great building. If this is actually nice and not going to lead to shoot outs out front, I'm for it.

This is awesome news, I'm really excited for such a place. A great compliment to Capitol Park and neighbor to D'mongo's. A basement nightclub could make for an awesome venue to take out-of-towners. Everyone I've ever taken to D''Mongos loves that place. Totally unique. Totally Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

Obviously I have no problem with the developer making a go of it; I just don't think such a market exists.

We'll see.

I think it will be interesting. They are certainly making a splash by installing those signs before they even have a liquor license!

Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto

Obviously I have no problem with the developer making a go of it; I just don't think such a market exists.

We'll see.
    You know what would be great? If someone started a club for college and university grads.The goal would be simple -to create an environment in which excellence thrives and develop a place where the members, their guests and all future members could draw upon the sustaining values of a common educational experience. You could call it a "University Club". How cool would that be?

There is a private club here in Denver called "The Denver Club" that occupies the top two floors of a downtown skyscraper. It is exclusive and its membership consists of businessmen, doctors, lawyers, Broncos, Rockies, etc. The now-governor was also rumored to be a member during his time as mayor. The club made the news a few years ago for some coke and hooker parties they were having. As long as people crave exclusivity there will always be a market for private clubs.

Everything but the DAC is gone downtown. The suburban country clubs are apparently desperate for members.

I get mailed "invites" to country clubs/Bloomfield Hunt Club/Detroit Yacht Club despite my limited earnings and young age; probably because they're desperate for young folks and see I live in an affluent zip code.
    So accurate. I get solicitations from the same clubs. And those are the very clubs I worked at a few years ago. This seems like a rich boy's dream. A rich boy from another city and/or state who has no comprehension of what is actually happening in Detroit. I wish him well. I hope he has lots of money to subsidize his business and it doesn't become another shoot 'em up, bang, bang nightclub.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    There are private clubs all over the City. On Michigan Ave in SW Detroit there is an odd place with no windows, nicely kept. "Hazel's Place" is listed as a private club. I have seen an event or two happen there and it appeared to be thuggish.
    So you haven't been inside Hazel's Place? I've noticed it the last couple years while on Angel's Night patrol and made a mental note to stop in and check it. I've yet to do so. I'm curious. Any more feedback anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

I think Bham was just stating his opinion, which I agree with. But, I also agree with your opinion. If someone sees an opportunity to make a buck, fine. It probably won't hurt, and likely will be good for downtown. But, having been in the bar/restaurant/nightclub business in Detroit for over 40 years, I'll stick to my earlier statement. And I probably won't hesitate to stop in at least one time to check out the view. I haven't been in the tower for about ten years.

I remember being in the former Savoyard Club on top of the Buhl Building back in 1986 for a wedding of the former building owner's niece. The club closed soon thereafter, but what a beautiful place with huge windows and wonderful views of the neighboring skyscrapers [[best views of the top of the Guardian Building you can get)... plus nice riverfront views and Hart Plaza views.

That was an awesome place, which I believe is used for storage today. It's sad really that some of the best locations for entertainment sites are long closed... Top of the Ponch [[at the top of the former Ponchartrain Hotel) and Top of the Flame [[at the top of the former 1 Woodward Ave.Building)... and the private Savoyard Club [[which was mainly a lunchtime hangout).

You can take noon time yoga classes on the floor just under the old Savoyard Club.Really impressive room.

So there will be clubs on the top and bottom, what about the 30 floors in between!? That's what I'm interested in.

This does seem enticing though. A more casual atmosphere for business people without the blaring nightclub music full of ...... bags. Certainly something I'm interested in.

I am very excited about this. We need a place other than college bars or hip hop clubs. There's not many options for my Saturday nights. There is also another lounge and tapas bar opening up next to Rub Pub on Adams. Friends of mine ran into the owner the other night while walking their dogs, and were able to take a peek inside. They said it is huge, with a large dance floor, bar and dj booth, and a separate more intimate area for tapas. There is also a second floor. I'm not sure what that will be used for, but the owner said Saturdays will be house music. I hope this place works out as well!

No one else found it strange that a club in a basement is called "Skybar"? Seems like this would be a good name for a bar at the top of thew building, not underground. Unless they're just being ironic.

^^^ They have a vip lounge opening on the top floor, is what I gathered from their website

Quote Originally Posted by tarynd85 View Post
    I am very excited about this. We need a place other than college bars or hip hop clubs. There's not many options for my Saturday nights. There is also another lounge and tapas bar opening up next to Rub Pub on Adams. Friends of mine ran into the owner the other night while walking their dogs, and were able to take a peek inside. They said it is huge, with a large dance floor, bar and dj booth, and a separate more intimate area for tapas. There is also a second floor. I'm not sure what that will be used for, but the owner said Saturdays will be house music. I hope this place works out as well!
    Another electronic music venue? I'm psyched! I'm pretty sure Detroit holds the unofficial title of "techno city." No other city can top our list of venues. I'd like to make a list someday of all the electronic music clubs in Detroit. Unrivaled for sure.

I don't think the new LAX will be like Bleu or Vain. How they made it sound, is that it will be top 40/hip hop on Fridays and House on Saturdays. So I feel it will be more pop-type house/dance. I'm still excited to check it out though.

It's a great idea. Hope it succeeds.

Wow....check this out...made of Lego!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/475081980/

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Another electronic music venue? I'm psyched! I'm pretty sure Detroit holds the unofficial title of "techno city." No other city can top our list of venues. I'd like to make a list someday of all the electronic music clubs in Detroit. Unrivaled for sure.

I can't tell exactly from your post and maybe I am wrong but you do know that Detroit is the birthplace of Techno right? And that that history is oogled by many techno fans from oversees and why we have a techno festival each year? Now of course we can nit pick the exact genre of techno that these clubs play and then realize it may not be officially techno...but that's another thread.

And about the "private club" distinction. I think that is a way to have members and to have your own rules for an and side step some of the liquor control rules such as staying open past 2AM etc.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011050...-over-30-crowd

Thoughts? It could be the first step in making Capitol Park a 24-hour neighborhood...maybe that coffee shop with DJ tables would re-open... Still, it seems a little weird to have an empty skyscraper with a club in the basement and one on the top floor.
    I went for a run yesterday off my usual course and went through Capitol Park and for the first time really saw the great potential. The area could definitely be a very cool pub district...much like Louisville's 4th Street Live. Lot's of open space and lots of vacant buildings.