Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fun, silly and unusual business signs in and around Detroit.

Does anyone have any whimsical business signs to share? I was looking for one of my favorite's and found myself trying to find, and enjoying, some other ones I remember. Here's two:

Al's Hardware and Hardware
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s....33%2C%2C2%2C0

Upper Cuts, although, I remember them having a cool 3D arm on the side of their building. Did they downsize or is it a small franchise?
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...13.48,,1,-3.22

I was trying to search the forum for a similar thread but I didn't find any. Apologies of I'm rehashing an old idea.

I don't know if this counts, but the giant neon blue martini glasses at the top David Stott Tower are now lit up on all four sides of the building. I don't know what they stand for or who designed them, but they definitely constitute unusual signage on the city skyline.

not "in" Detroit proper but just outside on Ford Rd. and I think Schaefer there is a sign for a gynecologist and the dude looks like someone out of the bee gees... the sign may as well say "I won't just look at your wife's vagina, I will take her out for dinner first"....

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I don't know if this counts, but the giant neon blue martini glasses at the top David Stott Tower are now lit up on all four sides of the building. I don't know what they stand for or who designed them, but they definitely constitute unusual signage on the city skyline.
    The Sky Bar Detroit lounge in the David Stott, as reported earlier this month:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011050...-over-30-crowd

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I think they look horrible.. Really cheese looking if you ask me. Took me a while to figure out what they were exactly.

The Coachman's Lounge on Auburn Road west of Utica always gets a chuckle. At the bottom of their sign it says "Home Of Warm Beer & Lousy Food."

I think planned parenthood right next to curl up and dye is "unique"

I saw a sign [[that is now gone) outside of a salon on Michigan Ave that read, "Message Theraptist Available". I don't know what a message theraptist might be, but found it disheartening. I don't think I'd go in for a massage if they can't spell it correctly [[who knows what the actual massage might turn into).

Sorry , couldn't resist..

Love this thread. Detroit has so many gorgeous and unusual signs/facades it's one of my favorite subjects to photograph.

Not my photo, sign found in Pontiac:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...TD_Contractors

12. Default

David Clements is the king of this genre: "Talking Shops: Detroit Commercial Folk Art".

My fav...

Somebody has to have a picture of the infamous "We Be Cuttin' Hair 'n' Stuff" Barber shop, formerly located at St. Mary's and Grand River.

What about "Chicks on Dix" the gentleman's club on Dix Rd in SW Detroit? Someone has to get a picture of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Somebody has to have a picture of the infamous "We Be Cuttin' Hair 'n' Stuff" Barber shop, formerly located at St. Mary's and Grand River.
    ROFL!

This one is in Windsor....not that great, but it makes me laugh. This my mechanic, works outta an ancient gas station. His slogan is "if we can't fix it, its not broke" lol

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...168.38,,1,2.24

That massive dog is Ben, the Aerostar is his doghouse.

Detroit Blog story about sign painters:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=1010

Down here in Florida we have a tackle shop called "Master Bait & Tackle." They always sell out their t-shirts. Another sign on the building says "unattended children will be sold as bait." Too funny.

By Bruce Griffin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Party store @ 12 mile in Warren....

"Gas is too expensive...so don't drive, drink !!

Thanks Django

Back in the 1970s there was a meat market on McNichols, near Evergreen that had one of the first trailer signs out front. Mike's meat market--his sign read "You can't beat my meat" someone complained and the cops wrote a ticket for the sign and ordered him to change it. He changed it to "You can ticket my sign, but still can't beat my meat".

Name:  IllCutYa.jpg
Views: 2641
Size:  47.2 KB

Borrowed from another site.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Back in the 1970s there was a meat market on McNichols, near Evergreen that had one of the first trailer signs out front. Mike's meat market--his sign read "You can't beat my meat" someone complained and the cops wrote a ticket for the sign and ordered him to change it. He changed it to "You can ticket my sign, but still can't beat my meat".
    That is sheer genius.

I'd love to see an ad for Metamucil where a Groucho Marx impersonator tapped his cigar and twitched his eyebrow while saying "I've never Metamucil I didn't like." «rimshot»