Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The big Yellow Pages sign

For sale on eBay. Eight grand or best offer.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yellow-Pages-Ind...item4aaaead64a

Bummer. That's one of the landmarks, like the giant tire, the baseball gas tank and the giant stove. I guess things can't last forever if you want improvements, but it's still kind of a drag.

Yeah, but the sign really has no Detroit connection. I'll bet it could be found in other major cities.. If you buy the sign, I wonder if you are responsible for taking it down.

Well, that would put a kink in the sale, now. wouldn't it?

Does the person offering the sign for sale actually own the sign? How would anyone know who does own it? I smell a scam.

On the other hand, does anyone actually USE the yellow pages any more? Or a phone book, for that matter??

Last I heard, that building that it's on was going to be turned into some type of a shelter.

Whoa. That is one cool sign. Do they really need to take it down?

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Does the person offering the sign for sale actually own the sign? How would anyone know who does own it? I smell a scam.
    On eBay? No, couldn't be.

It's probably not a scam. The entire building is being renovated and remodeled. JC Beal sold the radiators from the Broderick on Craigslist,.

ferntruth Guest

I wonder how my neighbors would feel if I mounted the sign on my roof?

That seller has over 1000 good feedbacks.... I don't think it's a fake offer. He/she may not own the sign outright... but perhaps they have salvage rights to get rid of it.... If it was a newbie seller, I would be suspicious...

Seems to me it should go to a museum somewhere.

There are ebay seller stores where you drop off and somebody else sells for you for a fee hence the high stats.

Personally I really do not see anything wrong with leaving it where it is as a icon kinda thing ,not much maintenance involved.

Interesting how from the same building the kitchen equipment and cooling tower on the roof is also being sold,given the proposed use of what is going to happen there those would be needed items and costly to replace but then again when your are using local and gov funds no need to be frugal I guess.

Looks like they're taking it down without anyone buying to preserve/conserve it anyways... seems like somebody should be able to pick it up before it gets turned into scrap. I remember the sign used to have color codes for the day's weather.

Just noticed the number on the dial of the phone : 313 932 1212 , or WE-21212 as I knew it, the weather number for the Detroit area

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    On the other hand, does anyone actually USE the yellow pages any more? Or a phone book, for that matter??
    When we get phonebooks delivered to our door we put them directly into the recycling bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I find them useful for when I don't want to sit down, wait 5 minutes for my computer to load windows, wait a couple more minutes for Mozilla to start working smoothly & then go to 411.com - it's nice to be able to pick up a book and get the number quickly.

The Click on Detroit story says it's a 50 million dollar project to build 155 apts. for the homeless. Isn't 325 grand per apt. a little steep?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The Click on Detroit story says it's a 50 million dollar project to build 155 apts. for the homeless. Isn't 325 grand per apt. a little steep?

no... not when they also come with a fitness center, computer work rooms, and health care.... being homeless ain't what it used to be......

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    no... not when they also come with a fitness center, computer work rooms, and health care.... being homeless ain't what it used to be......

Why is providing a fitness center and computer work room a bad thing? I would think people of your ilk would be pleased to see the homeless actually trying to improve themselves [[and gee, maybe even stop being homeless!). I can't see the downside to people trying to make themselves fit, or learn computer skills...

...and the "health care" as you call it is actually a mental health clinic. A facility that would not be needed if Jabba the Engler hadn't closed Lafayette Clinic and other facilities that were providing this service at one point. Maybe if these facilities were still available, we wouldn't need to include such a facility in the construction plan?

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Why is providing a fitness center and computer work room a bad thing? I would think people of your ilk would be pleased to see the homeless actually trying to improve themselves [[and gee, maybe even stop being homeless!). I can't see the downside to people trying to make themselves fit, or learn computer skills...

...and the "health care" as you call it is actually a mental health clinic. A facility that would not be needed if Jabba the Engler hadn't closed Lafayette Clinic and other facilities that were providing this service at one point. Maybe if these facilities were still available, we wouldn't need to include such a facility in the construction plan?
    thats AWESOME.... help at any cost!!!! $325,000 an apartment, they sign the lease, and its theirs!!!!

I work my ass off and can't afford a $325,000 home.... but I sure am taxed heavily so that these homeless victims can be subsidized in their $325,000 apartments....

btw, typing this from a windows 98 laptop..... hopefully the homeless will have the luxury of mac airbooks to look for, well not jobs... why bother, they already will have great living arrangements....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    thats AWESOME.... help at any cost!!!! $325,000 an apartment, they sign the lease, and its theirs!!!!

I work my ass off and can't afford a $325,000 home.... but I sure am taxed heavily so that these homeless victims can be subsidized in their $325,000 apartments....

btw, typing this from a windows 98 laptop..... hopefully the homeless will have the luxury of mac airbooks to look for, well not jobs... why bother, they already will have great living arrangements....

In addition to the already mentioned parts the NSO is also moving their HQ into the building. So the apartments are not 325,000 a piece. It then begs the question what bugs you up the ass so much about these people help thing addiction etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast