Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lafayette Coney Blinks

A sad sad day. Lafayette Coney Island has surrendered to american coney by dropping Winters Hot Dogs and going with the dog american coney uses dearborn hot dogs[[YUCK). What's next skinless like dulys?

Mmmm. Duly's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Mmmm. Duly's.
    I think Duly's is the best Coney Island in the city, bar none.

On the other hand, I have a friend who says Duly's is the most overated Coney Island in the city.

Both of us like to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    A sad sad day. Lafayette Coney Island has surrendered to american coney by dropping Winters Hot Dogs and going with the dog american coney uses dearborn hot dogs[[YUCK). What's next skinless like dulys?
    Where did you get this information?

I saw it on WJBK morning news on Friday morning.

It will help me reduce my Coney consumption. Sigh.

Detroit News story:

Use of same vendor adds sauce to Lafayette, American coney competition

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ey-competition

I remember when I was a kid the rumor was hotdogs were made from lips and A holes..LOL

why did they make the switch though? cost or supply issues with Winters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLefs6TE80M

My taste buds must be shot because all the coney dogs I've had taste the same to me. I guess if I had them side by side I could taste a difference.
    Aside from a stale bun on rare occasions I've never had a coney that I didn't enjoy.

I've been to Duly's numerous times, no better or worse than anyplace else in my opinion.

The secret with a Lafayette coney is that they mince their onions while many others just cut them into pieces.

While I think American and Lafayette are both good, I prefer Lafayette. But they both have to be taking a hit right now with the Michigan Ave. construction- I went by there around 12:30 today to get lunch and couldn't find anywhere to park [[and no, I'm not paying to park in a structure for a 15 minute lunch.)

If I'm buying hot dogs for home, I buy Dearborn.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    While I think American and Lafayette are both good, I prefer Lafayette. But they both have to be taking a hit right now with the Michigan Ave. construction- I went by there around 12:30 today to get lunch and couldn't find anywhere to park [[and no, I'm not paying to park in a structure for a 15 minute lunch.)

If I'm buying hot dogs for home, I buy Dearborn.
    We went in this past Sunday just after noon and Lafayette was PACKED!! We scored a parking spot right in front of the Arcade but the surface lot just down the street was almost empty.

They haven't "surrendered" at all. They are simply going to use the same hot dog manufacturer as American, but keep their patented hot dog recipe. It will still be different. Lafayette is still the better of the two I believe, but out of all the coney dogs I've ever had in my life, they all pretty much taste exactly the same.

As long as there's no difference in taste...

My wife and are planning a trip to Europe this summer and were talking about flights. Do we fly through Detroit or through Amsterdam and get home an hour and a half earlier? Well, when you factor in that we can get coneys at DTW and not at AMS, easy choice!

I think Koegels hot dogs are very good, made in Flint....http://www.koegelmeats.com/