Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New search function, not like the old search function.

In the old Dyes format I could put my name into the search function and it would show me all posts that my name showed up in starting with the last. I like to see if Im being talked about. I cant figure out how to do this on the new format with the advanced search tool, where is the plain old search? .

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    In the old Dyes format I could put my name into the search function and it would show me all posts that my name showed up in starting with the last. I like to see if Im being talked about. I cant figure out how to do this on the new format with the advanced search tool, where is the plain old search? .
    I typed Django into the Keyword[[s) field and selected Search Entire Posts then clicked Search Now.

It did find pages where your name was mentioned but it also included pages containing posts initiated by you, pages where someone had quoted posts initiated by you, and even pages with Google ads containing the name "Django."

Is that good enough or did you want to exclude the last three types of results? I don't see any way to specify exclusions.

There was a time when search engines would have been laughed out of the competition for an omission like that but in the post-Google-monopoly world, standards have apparently been relaxed.

In the old format the last three types were not included [[I think) but ones that were listed were in order of date.

I was just hoping I was missing some box that needed to be checked.

No, I don't think you missed anything. This is exasperating.

There is a Sort Results by Date ... in Descending Order option under Additional Options under Advanced Search but the results are whole threads, not posts. Which dates it's sorting is unclear. I suspect SmokeNMirrors marketing.

In the computer world it used to be that you were always guaranteed to be able to find absolutely all of the information you wanted and absolutely none of the information you didn't want. You might have had to work meticulously to specify a search query detailed enough to get that certainty but at least it was possible. Apparently that world has been offshored to WhoGivesAFuckistan.

This isn't a criticism specifically of DetroitYES or even vBulletin. It's an industry-wide software-design quality relapse.

Also, why do we trust that search engine spiders can keep up with the flood of information? What if they can't? Would we even know?

Sorry for the rant but it needed to be said because the situation is deteriorating.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-15-11 at 10:12 PM.