Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jazz Convient Store Opens

There is a new convenient store being opened at Woodward Ave. between E. Grand River and John Rd. It's called 'Jazz Party Store' This could be a mom and pop store we looking for in Downtown Detroit. The businesses corridor should start with mom and pop before the exotic stores come in.

Yes, if business picks up and they don't get robbed too often, then CVS can come in and take over.

It seems like another beer/wine [[maybe future liquor) store.

Detroit can do without more of them, on Woodward especially.

What is the difference between a Party store and a convenience store?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What is the difference between a Party store and a convenience store?

sometimes I like to drink but I'm not going to or having a party.......

I went by this place on Sunday but it was closed. I was predisposed not to like it because as 313WX said, we don't need another liquor store, especially on Woodward. However, just from what I could see from the outside, the place looks nice and definitely fits in with the more upscale character of Woodward. They have a nice facade, and the interior looks more like a 7/11 than a cheap liquor store. Now, I haven't been to a 7/11 in decades since they pulled all their stores out of the city, but you get my drift. I plan to go back again this week when they're open and check it out.

That place has been in the works for some time now. I thought that it was closed and sitting vacant, not sitting vacant and getting ready to open. Good for me! Much rather walk there than to the Leland Commissary or Stop N Go on Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    Yes, if business picks up and they don't get robbed too often, then CVS can come in and take over.
    There's already a CVS across the street...

I know there are a lot of liquor stores in Detroit, however, not all of them are desirable places to shop. I hate having to walk up and down the aisle looking at the brands that are up on shelves behind plexiglas almost as much as I hate driving out to the suburbs where I can shop in aisles and look at all the different brands and make a good selection without feeling like I'm being hassled. Sometimes all you need for a recipe is a pint or 1/2 pint of something, and Meijer's only sells fifths or larger and the local liquor stores may have the smaller sizes but only in the brands in demand. I wish there could be a
    store like the Wine Merchant where you could get a cart and shop and select.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    There's already a CVS across the street...

That won't stop CVS...or Walgreen's....or.....

Needed a loaf of bread, so I stopped by again today. Met the owner. He's quite friendly and very eager to please... "tell me what you want and I'll get it." It's definitely nicer than many liquor stores downtown. However, make no mistake, this is a liquor store not a convenience store. Long and narrow, the entire left side is occupied by a bank of coolers. The counter runs the length of the right side and the wall behind it is lined with soon-to-be-filled shelves for the liquor. Down the center are small islands of shelves filled with your basic basics: peanut butter, pasta, soup, pet food, yada yada.

Again, as I did at Eve's on Washington Blvd. I made the argument that we need more food and less liquor downtown. The owner said he had a liquor license in escrow and decided that the residents of the lofts on Woodward and nearby would want a place to buy alcohol and food. He also said the economics of a store like his would not be able to support the rent on food alone. Today is the "official" first day and he will be open 7 days a week until 7pm and until midnight when the liquor arrives.

Even though I want to see small businesses prosper--especially in the city--I don't see where he is filling a need for downtown residents. On the other other hand, CVS has a well-run store down the street with a friendly staff of folks likely living in or near the city; it has a wide variety of merchandise at decent prices; and is well-managed. As I have said before on other threads, CVS often has basic items on sale at really good prices [[Skippy peanut butter 3/$5), and because these are the same items on sale throughout the metropolitan area, I'm not paying a premium to shop downtown.

I wish this new store well, but unless they are going to offer something different or better or less expensive than what I can get at CVS or the liquor store a block closer to my home, it's not likely I'll go out of my way. Incidentally, it's owned by the same people that opened the new [[relocated) liquor store in Greektown.

As for the loaf of bread I was seeking... they don't have any baked goods yet. Maybe I'll see if CVS has it on sale this week.
    Last edited by downtownguy; May-16-11 at 01:48 PM.

I think that the store has potential. It is nothing like a 7-11 store. Not by a long shot. It could be more of a moms and pops grocery store instead of a liquor store but could sell liquor[[ the expensive kind) and stay away from the malt liquor and beer