Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Target finally coming to Midtown? Next to whole foods? Mack &Woodward new development

"The entire development would fit on a 9-acre site that has a long-shuttered muffler shop and American Red Cross buildings."

"newly constructed 25,000-square-foot anchor store at the corner, plus an additional 25,000-square-feet of retail space and restaurants. That extra retail and restaurant space would mostly line Woodward, but would involve a small 5,000-square-foot retail building on Mack where there is now a parking lot, according to the project's preliminary site plans."

"Details of the still-unnamed project were revealed Thursday during an International Conference of Shopping Centers event in Novi at the Suburban Collection Showplace. Multiple development sources at the conference identified national retailer Target as the project's possible anchor tenant."

"said the project could get underway as early as next year and open in 2018. He would not comment on whether Target is looking to open a store there."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ment/87079238/

the rendering isn't available in the article but is on freep.com home page under the headline

Last edited by SpartanDawg; July-14-16 at 01:21 PM.

That rendering is disgusting. Let's hope that's not the final design intent

Quote Originally Posted by BMoo View Post
    That rendering is disgusting

didn't take long for the first complaint about the architecture lol. how dare albert kahn himself not design this retail space!

although it's not the greatest, i think it'll turn out nicer than it looks currently. reminds me of buildings in birmingham, which is a good thing as they usually use high quality materials for.

Good to hear, but not particularly shocking. It's been rumored that Target has been eyeballing Detroit for a while. In an ideal world, a Target wouldn't even be necessary because all the stuff sold at Target could be found in mom and pop shops up and down a bustling Woodward.

I agre mind field, but bigger stores like this [[using an urban form with streetfront and smaller footprints) are opening across the country in bigger cities. chicago, seattle, indianapolis, etc etc ... all seem to be getting stores like this. Really i think NYC is one of the only places immune to it but that is because of how thoroughly developed that city is.

having said this i am very very glad target would end up in midtown vs downtown like the hudson site. downtown retail should be more boutique and upscale, and midtown, and specifically this location at woodward and mack [[hello M-1 rail stop RIGHT in front of the entrance) is absolutely dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    although it's not the greatest, i think it'll turn out nicer than it looks currently. reminds me of buildings in birmingham, which is a good thing as they usually use high quality materials for.
    Well first off, hoping that it looks like a Birmingham building would be equally as bad. That would be the opposite of good urbanism. Second, this developer has no buildings in Birmingham. You're pulling that comparison out of thin air. In fact, if you go to thier website, the projects on the main page use overwhelming low quality materials. There's really no support so far to show that this will turn out any better than the prefabricated suburban garbage that they are showing now.
    Last edited by BMoo; July-14-16 at 02:29 PM.

One commenter on the article noted the size of this proposed Target. A google search shows that average Target stores are 135,000 sq ft. CityTarget stores are 80,000 to 100,000 sq ft. This store is a proposed 25,000 sq ft. Yay for more retail in the city, but I'm underwhelmed. Baby steps I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    One commenter on the article noted the size of this proposed Target. A google search shows that average Target stores are 135,000 sq ft. CityTarget stores are 80,000 to 100,000 sq ft. This store is a proposed 25,000 sq ft. Yay for more retail in the city, but I'm underwhelmed. Baby steps I guess.
    Target has third format Target Express which this is a typical size.

from this crain's article today:

"city target stores were about 20,000 square feet in dense urban areas"

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...n-target-plans

A development and leasing agent for the project, Matthew Haran of Howard Schwartz Commercial Real Estate, said the project could get underway as early as next year and open in 2018. He would not comment on whether Target is looking to open a store there.

That is my least favorite word when it comes to Detroit development news. I really hope this happens, and I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but until the financing is done and the shovels are in the ground, this is a non-story. I've gotten my hopes up too many times and have been disappointed....much like being a Lions fan.
    Last edited by dmike76; July-14-16 at 06:13 PM.

BTW, I just read the Crains article. I liked the suggestion of a Target at Warren/Woodward.

Either would be a big + for Midtown.

That said, having a Target at Mack/Woodward near Whole Foods adds to the livability of the midtown area.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-14-16 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW, I just read the Crains article. I liked the suggestion of a Target at Warren/Woodward.

Either would be a big + for Midtown.

That said, having a Target at Mack/Woodward near Whole Foods adds to the livability of the midtown area.
    Without jinxing progress so far, looks like midtown has really come a long way over the past few years. Terrific stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Good to hear, but not particularly shocking. It's been rumored that Target has been eyeballing Detroit for a while. In an ideal world, a Target wouldn't even be necessary because all the stuff sold at Target could be found in mom and pop shops up and down a bustling Woodward.
    This is nothing new. There's a Target already in Detroit, so this is just another one in midtown. A bit smaller I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    This is nothing new. There's a Target already in Detroit, so this is just another one in midtown. A bit smaller I'm sure.
    No there isn't. Eastland is in Harper Woods and the one on Ford Rd. is Dearborn.

I mentioned this in another Target-related thread awhile ago, but they just put one of these mini-Targets near me in an urban part of Arlington [[Rosslyn) and it does excellent business. It's not really anything like a CVS though the size is comparable to a larger drugstore. Lots more groceries with some fresh produce [[bananas, apples, vegetables, and so on), a decent little selection of home furnishings, clothing, etc. Has a Starbucks counter inside for people who need that. Very convenient and not at all redundant with the CVS right across the street.

So, I think it'd be a great fit for midtown.

My two takeaways from this article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...rget/87101214/

1). The Target story is pretty speculative,

2). Target, if it is Target, likely to be first of a number of retailers to come at approximately the same time as described here:

Gibbs also said stores like Target “don’t like to be first” but rather come with a group. “There’s a phrase called ‘dirty dozen’ – meaning stores come together, like a Target, TJ Maxx and others.”

The big story, from 30,000 feet, is that with all of the development in progress or planned along Brush Park and the arena district that the outlook continues to brighten month by month. There is real momentum between the Fisher and Mack.

I trust that retailers will want to catch that wave...

BTW, I'm still surprised we haven't heard from say CVS and say some fast food stores. Things like McDonalds, Burger King and even a Dunkin Donuts. I could see people stopping and getting coffee and donuts [[a dozen for the office) at a Dunkin Donuts. I think the location would produce a lot of business because of the automobile traffic on Woodward.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-15-16 at 04:54 AM.

Target will not be coming the Boycott is working they will probably be filing for bankruptcy at the end of the year

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Target will not be coming the Boycott is working they will probably be filing for bankruptcy at the end of the year
    Uh huh...I guess you win Biggest Troll Post of the Week?

Target drug departments are now CVS in Livonia. Not sure if they all changed.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Uh huh...I guess you win Biggest Troll Post of the Week?
    no I m not look what just happened in Iowa due to this new policy and beside targets lost thousands of dollars already and all the Targets by me are half empty [[Macomb, county Oakland)
    Last edited by scooter; July-15-16 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typo

Wheels.......

As I understand it, all Targets with pharmacies are going to CVS as their supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    no I m not look what just happened in Iowa due to this new policy and beside targets lost thousands of dollars already and all the Targets by me are half empty [[Macomb, county Oakland)
    I don't believe that for a second. "Losing thousands of dollars" isn't much to a company worth billions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I don't believe that for a second. "Losing thousands of dollars" isn't much to a company worth billions of dollars.
    read the news buddy- target is going away, the stock is gone down way to much stock holders are getting pissed, workers are getting their hours cut hopefully they fire the co before its to late

If you are going to keep saying "read the news" you could in the very least provide an article supporting what you are saying. I for one would be interested in hearing how the company is going to file for bankruptcy over the bathroom issue.

TARGET BOYCOTT IS WORKING: Target’s stock has fallen 20 percent — from $84 per share to $67 per share — since it imposed the pro-transgender policy on its customer base of families. That loss has chopped roughly $10 billion from the overall shareholder value of the company, according to a chart produced by Yahoo.com http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/target-sales-drop-amid-stoc

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast