Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Eastland was enclosed in 1975.
    I still can't place a Kroger store. Was it stand alone, or was it in the mall?
    By 'in the mall' I mean connected to the other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Eastland was enclosed in 1975.
    I still can't place a Kroger store. Was it stand alone, or was it in the mall?
    By 'in the mall' I mean connected to the other stores.
    JC: Let's take a trip down memory lane. The year is 1970. You're standing by the hippo. Eastland is still an outdoors shopping center. You are heading west [[toward Kelly road) and about to enter a building that contains several shops including the Kroger building. As you enter the building you'll find the Alexander and Horning butcher shop on your right, to your left is the AAA pet shop. Continue down the hall and you'll find a record shop and a travel store and many other small shops. You'll finally end up at the Kroger store on the very west end Eastland. If you go left [[toward the NDHS side of the parking lot) you'll notice Hot Sams at the very end. Across from Hot Sams is of course Kroger. There was a drive up delivery service available on the southside [[NDHS side) which at the time seemed so futuristic. Kroger would load your bags into a cart put them on a rollers and your bags would be ready when you drove up. Some one had mentioned before that the Kroger that was in the Calcaterra Funeral Home location was the one that moved into the Eastland location.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    JC: Let's take a trip down memory lane. The year is 1970. You're standing by the hippo. Eastland is still an outdoors shopping center. You are heading west [[toward Kelly road) and about to enter a building that contains several shops including the Kroger building. As you enter the building you'll find the Alexander and Horning butcher shop on your right, to your left is the AAA pet shop. Continue down the hall and you'll find a record shop and a travel store and many other small shops. You'll finally end up at the Kroger store on the very west end Eastland. If you go left [[toward the NDHS side of the parking lot) you'll notice Hot Sams at the very end. Across from Hot Sams is of course Kroger. There was a drive up delivery service available on the southside [[NDHS side) which at the time seemed so futuristic. Kroger would load your bags into a cart put them on a rollers and your bags would be ready when you drove up. Some one had mentioned before that the Kroger that was in the Calcaterra Funeral Home location was the one that moved into the Eastland location.
    I now have a pretty clear picture of the Kroger. I remember the AH meat shop, and the Hudson Pantry was right across the hall. Now that you mention the Hot Sam's, I can picture the Orange Julius Stand also, and then in my minds eye, I see the automatic doors with the metal rails leading up to them and the high window to the Kroger. I also remember the pet store and the travel store. I think I had to go there for a school project once, for info on a foreign country.
    Thank you for the walk through. I remember most of it now.