Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Foreign Cars.

Hybrid View

Buy American Guest

What matters most is the bottom line....Chrysler's Headquarters is in Auburn Hills, they have assembly plants in Detroit. GM's headquarters is in the heart of Detroit. Ford's headquarters are in Dearborn. The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    What matters most is the bottom line.... Chrysler's Headquarters is in Auburn Hills, they have assembly plants in Detroit.
    Oh, you mean the company that was 80%+ owned by Daimler [[a German company), bailed out by the American government and is now controlled by Fiat [[an Italian company).

GM's headquarters is in the heart of Detroit.
    You must mean the company that has been bailed out by tax payers and is now owned by the government. You must also mean the same company that has threatened to leave the Ren Cen and "the heart of Detroit" for years to suburbs like Auburn Hills, Warren and Troy?

The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas.
    What profits? The Big three had losing quarters for YEARS. The profits, if any, would go to the shareholders and investors. My GF's parents had shares of GM, that aren't even worth the paper they're printed on. Hmm, what is left besides the profit? I know, the labor and material cost! If the assembly labor is provided by employees in foreign nations, and parts are shipped from foreign countries, what is left? Nothing! What part of that do YOU not understand? All of OUR American dollars are shipped overseas from supporting this "American" companies. I will go over it if needed, this time, take notes.

If I am wrong, please let me know.
    Sorry, you couldn't be any more wrong.

-Tahleel

I can understand people outside of Michigan buying foreign cars [[though I despise it), but I cannot understand buying a foreign car in Michigan, unless you work for one of the few foreign companies in the state.

The American auto industry built Michigan. You live in Michigan, you buy American. Period. Ford, GM, & Chrysler have built this state. They have sponsored every town's festival, little league teams, contributed millions to universities, contributed to the art's, etc. This, of course, on top of the millions of people they have employed, and pensioned forever.

I don't get it. Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering, and some Michiganders respond by buying a Toyota, or a Kia, etc. Unbelievable and unacceptable.

Want to find a way to fix the state's budget shortfall and improve the Big 3? Find a way to tax the fuck out of foreign cars in Michigan.

Grrr.. Pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    I can understand people outside of Michigan buying foreign cars [[though I despise it), but I cannot understand buying a foreign car in Michigan, unless you work for one of the few foreign companies in the state.
    Why should I prefer an American or Foreign car? The auto industry [[domestic or international) hasn't given me a dime. The reason I do not like American cars are most of them have uninspiring designs, horrible build quality and materials, and are generally unreliable.

The American auto industry built Michigan. You live in Michigan, you buy American. Period. Ford, GM, & Chrysler have built this state. They have sponsored every town's festival, little league teams, contributed millions to universities, contributed to the art's, etc. This, of course, on top of the millions of people they have employed, and pensioned forever.
    That was then, this is now. If these automotive companies are so gun-ho about Michigan, why did they expand their plants to other states [[down south, West coast) and internationally? I know it might be hard to believe, but there are other companies in Michigan too, that aren't auto-related.

I don't get it. Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering, and some Michiganders respond by buying a Toyota, or a Kia, etc. Unbelievable and unacceptable.
    Michigan's number one industry is suffering because it is uncompetitive. Michigan is suffering because we were too comfortable with the auto industry staying here, and didn't see what was obviously right in front of us. Why would one by an inferior product from a company that is uncompetitive with other companies? I'm sure the great Depression was started from buying foreign cars, although they weren't introduced to the American market until 40 years later.

Want to find a way to fix the state's budget shortfall and improve the Big 3? Find a way to tax the fuck out of foreign cars in Michigan.

Grrr.. Pisses me off.
    Improve the Big 3 even more? You mean even more than the hundreds of billions of our tax dollars spent by bailing them out? What did they do? They paid off their creditors, and filed for bankruptcy anyways. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars!

This is ridiculous, and pisses me off.

-Tahleel

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    Michigan's number one industry is suffering because it is uncompetitive. Michigan is suffering because we were too comfortable with the auto industry staying here, and didn't see what was obviously right in front of us. Why would one by an inferior product from a company that is uncompetitive with other companies? I'm sure the great Depression was started from buying foreign cars, although they weren't introduced to the American market until 40 years later.

Improve the Big 3 even more? You mean even more than the hundreds of billions of our tax dollars spent by bailing them out? What did they do? They paid off their creditors, and filed for bankruptcy anyways. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars!

This is ridiculous, and pisses me off.

-Tahleel
    What should piss you off is that the Japanese and Korean markets are effectively closed to US manufacturers. Even their Cash for Clunkers program excludes foreign manufacturers despite the US being damned sure our program didn't. You don't seem to recognize such behavior is the source of a lot of backlash against them [[aside from their labor practices and other trade advantages our government allows them to enjoy since little effort is made to level the playing field).

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    What should piss you off is that the Japanese and Korean markets are effectively closed to US manufacturers. Even their Cash for Clunkers program excludes foreign manufacturers despite the US being damned sure our program didn't. You don't seem to recognize such behavior is the source of a lot of backlash against them [[aside from their labor practices and other trade advantages our government allows them to enjoy since little effort is made to level the playing field).
    Why would someone buy one of these evil Japanese or Korean cars? Maybe because the material and build quality is better, the vehicle is more reliable and fuel efficient, and the styling is more attractive.

If you do not like these foreign products, maybe you shouldn't buy them. Who made the shirt on your back? The shoes on your feet? The computer you are using? I'm sure all of these are foreign made products. You complain about foreign cars, yet how many times in your life have you bought a NEW car? Compare that to how often you buy everyday goods that were made overseas.

-Tahleel

lilpup Guest

I didn't [[and don't) complain about the cars or other products [[except counterfeiting and other blatant intellectual property theft). I complain about the business and trade practices.

The American auto industry built Michigan... Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering...
    No, Michigan is in a depression because we long ago failed to diversify our economy. The handwriting has been on the wall for decades. Imported cars' sales have been rising since the '70s because the foreign companies gave Americans what they wanted: durability and fuel economy. The US companies have been, and still are, playing catch-up.

"The American auto industry built Michigan." PAST TENSE. Ancient history. It's time to move on and create a vibrant economy in Michigan that's not based primarily on one industry. The days of Detroit being the world's auto capital are OVER. The future is upon us... it's time to come up with new jobs in new fields for all of us.

The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas. If I am wrong, please let me know.
    Well... in the case of G.M. and Chrysler, yes the profits do stay here. Because our government owns a majority stake in each.

In the case of Ford, which is a publicly traded company, the profits goes to shareholders. Shareholders of American based companies are not required to live in America...

What matters most is the bottom line....Chrysler's Headquarters is in Auburn Hills, they have assembly plants in Detroit. GM's headquarters is in the heart of Detroit. Ford's headquarters are in Dearborn. The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas. If I am wrong, please let me know.

the bottom line matters most? you're right, i have been worrying lately that the big 3's top execs don't get paid enough. making sure the suits keep their jobs is obviously far more important than supporting manufacturing jobs in the US.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cch View Post
    the bottom line matters most? you're right, i have been worrying lately that the big 3's top execs don't get paid enough. making sure the suits keep their jobs is obviously far more important than supporting manufacturing jobs in the US.
    The bottom line I am speaking of is what happens to the workers in Michigan and the U.S., and the economy.

Why nitpick?

The bottom line I am speaking of is what happens to the workers in Michigan and the U.S., and the economy.

Why nitpick?
    because i think you're being short [[or past)-sighted.

We need to start by forcing our own so called "Domestic" auto makers to build their stuff here, Yesterday's Autobeat daily had back to back stories touting Ford's new plant in China that will build 150K Ford Focuses a year, and that Hyundai is opening a new plant in one of our Southern States to build an SUV. You know damn well most of those 150K Chineses Focuses are intended to be sold here.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; September-29-09 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    We need to start by forcing our own so called "Domestic" auto makers to build their stuff here, Yesterday's Autobeat daily had back to back stories touting Ford's new plant in China that will build 150K Ford Focuses a year, and that Hyundai is opening a new plant in one of our Southern States to build an SUV. You know damn well most of those 150K Chineses Focuses are intended to be sold here.
    Actually I know damn well that you're completely full of BS. The next generation focus for NA will be built in two plants right here in Michigan.

Buy American,
    Porque tan es silencioso?

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    Actually I know damn well that you're completely full of BS. The next generation focus for NA will be built in two plants right here in Michigan.
    Maybe so, then why does Ford need that kind of capacity in China then?

Amid weakness at home, Ford, Toyota turn to China
    By Dan Strumpf, AP Auto Writer
    NEW YORK — Ford Motor[[F) plans to build a third assembly plant in China while Toyota Motor [[TM) will start selling an entry-level family car there, as the world's automakers pour more resources into the fast-growing Chinese car market amid weakness in their home countries.
    Ford said Friday it plans to spend $490 million on the assembly plant in China. The factory will make the next-generation Focus compact car, which Ford plans to sell globally.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; September-30-09 at 07:26 AM.