Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
Mayor Young did say a lot of memorable things, good and bad and often very colorful, but he was a much more nuanced person and politician than the stereotypical, cartoonish image that people had [[and apparently still have) of him. He deeply understood the fears and troubles of African American Detroiters, and worked very hard to try to make Detroit a better and friendlier place for them. His relationship with various companies and other entities was largely borne of the reality of the various crises confronting Detroit during his 20-year reign. I had the honor of meeting him, and it was quite an honor.
I respect Coleman's goals -- even though they took a hard toll on white family members who worked for the City at that time.

And I like Coleman a lot. He did address racism in DPD. Kept GM manufacturing in the City. Built JLA and kept the Red Wings from moving to Pontiac. And like Trump, he was a jolt to the status quo.

But also like Trump, he built walls. Trump is distancing us from trading partners like Canada, China, and Mexico. Young distanced us from the suburbs, white people, and the small businesses that made Detroit work -- thinking that this would translate into a boost for black Detroiters. I get the idea. But he was wrong. Young should have built more bridges, and fewer walls. I think Trump would be wise to look at the legacy of destruction the followed young, and recalibrate his path.

Maybe I'm taking the analogy too far. But It had never before occurred to me how much they have in common [[of course each for different tribes). True leaders transcend their personal histories and biases.

Sliding elsewhere north, Trudeau today deserves credit for doing that on Trans Mountain pipeline. He has ruled for big oil Canada over the Environmental Tribe. Trudeau has been much too tribal for my taste, but I want to celebrate his leadership on this file. Solid, steady, principled. And non-tribal.