Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Team needs help on defense. Good QB's tear then up. Draft a damm cornerback who'll make an impact.

I do not understand the tight end pick, at all.

Even worse, he isn't a blocking tight end. He's only useful for catching the ball, and that's the least of the Lions' worries.

As Homer Simpson says, "Doh."

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Even worse, he isn't a blocking tight end. He's only useful for catching the ball, and that's the least of the Lions' worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

My guess is that he's going to be a slot receiver of sorts.

I will admit I felt a little better in the 2nd & 3rd round picks. Now those seem as though they're based upon need. Yes, we need a linebacker. Yes, we'll need a center to replace Dom some day. So I'm feeling a little better but there's still Martin Mayhew's not-so-spectacular record in the middle rounds drafting either- so just when I want to let the balloon get some air, I'm reminded that this team's recent history drafting isn't exactly great.

I don't think the Lions are in a win now mode. They have to transition out of the huge penalty rookie salaries for high draft picks imposed before the last CBA. And the huge impact, or lack thereof, of Suh's situation has to be considered. IMO, Suh wants to bid his services to the team he feels will be a winners. So a wise GM needs to not overpay, just to keep him thus possibly having to take a huge hit for this season. If he walks, then there is a huge hole at DT, but a lot of cap money to fill it via FA.

Although Mayhew has been mediocre at drafting, I feel he has done OK in the poker game of contract negotiation and FA.

If he gets fired after another mediocre season, at least there will be something for a next GM to build on moving forward. The OL is young, if this center drafted can become a regular, and relatively cheap.

Not impressed. Will hold off on a total grade until I have had a chance to digest things.

however, I certainly pray that Mayhew pull his head out of his ass soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Not impressed. Will hold off on a total grade until I have had a chance to digest things.
    I'm not exactly one to judge the draft at this early stage. All of these fresh faced kids joining the league have been playing football at the collegiate level. We've all seen some college guys wilt once they get under the glare of the bigger NFL spotlight. And some other drafted rookies ascend once they get to the bigger stage.

My fervent hope for the Lions is that Eric Ebron and Keith Van Noy are starters in the first game. Travis Swanson should get some playing time at center or guard but shouldn't nudge Raiola out just yet. I wouldn't mind seeing some of CB Nevin Lawson playing the nickel in certain scenarios as well.

Nate Freese? Is he the next Jason Hanson or Eddie Murray that lingers for a generation or two?

Simply stated, I want our team's draft to be a re-stocking of the shelves. I don't need the glamor players that do wonderful times at the combines and then suck in the Pros. These guys need to contribute and immediately too. I don't want to see a repeat of Kalimba Edwards when it comes to athleticism and I surely do not want to see lack-of-character guys like Charles Rogers or Titus Young saunter in and be a cancer in the locker room.

Any pick can be a disaster, sometimes for no reason anyone could foresee. future stars can come out of anywhere. I am, overall, OK with this draft.

just an interesting thing from ESPN a few years ago:

First-Round Bust Percentages
    QB -- 53 percent
    RB -- 49 percent
    WR --45 percent
    DT -- 33 percent
    OL -- 31 percent
    DE -- 31 percent
    CB -- 29 percent
    LB -- 16 percent
    S -- 11 percent
    Last edited by rb336; May-12-14 at 06:15 AM.

I'm just glad its over. All the lead up hype and mock drafts were a a bit much for me. As for the actual draft, I like the way the NHL does it better. Have all the players there, let the team honchos come up to the podium and make the pick. Then the player comes up and puts on the jersey and cap. At least Barry Sanders got to make our pick.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Isn't it just as important to have 2 good cornerbacks as it is wide receivers? I've been casually following the Lions since the 70s. Have they ever had 2 good DBs during that time?
    The closest they came that I can remember is when they drafted Terry Fair and Bryant Westbrook, I think in consecutive years and both with high round picks. It didn't pan out, as it usually doesn't for the Lions, but I remember being excited about the possibilities at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm just glad its over. All the lead up hype and mock drafts were a a bit much for me. As for the actual draft, I like the way the NHL does it better. Have all the players there, let the team honchos come up to the podium and make the pick. Then the player comes up and puts on the jersey and cap. At least Barry Sanders got to make our pick.
    I'd almost prefer less show and bravado. There was as much hub bub about how Johnny Manziel dropped in the draft as opposed to celebrating the guys that went before him. And what about the poor schlub that shows up, sits in the stands and NEVER gets called up?

I'd almost prefer that none of the players are there. They can celebrate quietly and discretely at home or wherever with their loved ones when they get chosen for all I care. And to all of those haters of seeing Michael Sam kiss his man- what's it matter? He's celebrating a huge moment of his life with his loved ones- no difference to me.

Congrats to all of the people that were chosen in the Draft. And better luck to those guys trying to walk on to a team and continuing their dream to make it on an NFL team.

For the last few months this thread has gone silent. I'd like to think that there are still some loyal Lions fans around these parts that are still willing to intelligently discuss this team.

-What are people's takes on the rookie class?
    -Impressions on the new coaching staff?
    -Thoughts on Suh & his contract?
    -Stafford finally getting proper coaching?

And before long, we're going to get everyone's mighty pre-season predictions too.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    For the last few months this thread has gone silent. I'd like to think that there are still some loyal Lions fans around these parts that are still willing to intelligently discuss this team.

And before long, we're going to get everyone's mighty pre-season predictions too.
    Rookie class is promising
    new staff - don't know
    Suh is gone after the season to somewhere he can be a media star
    more important that he gets more guys without bricks for hands

Preseason prediction? 1-3, and fans will make WAY too much of it. I know what you meant, too bad

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post

Good to know our Lions discussion hasn't circled the drain yet. Thanks for reviving this thread, smoggy. We're still loyal.

Rookie class? Ebron & Van Noy will step in and pay dividends pretty quickly. With any luck maybe we've also got this year's version of Waddle or Warford- a late round pick that emerges as a stud.

New coaching staff? We'll see. I'm never one to judge a staff until an actual game day. Running drills, spouting inspiring speeches, talking well, wearing a headset, and carrying a clipboard most coaches can do. Caldwell seems like a nice guy but let's see how he manages actual game time.

Suh? Damn. While I'd love to keep the guy he's not making it easy to keep him. He says all the right things but his actions prove that he wants to explore the market. I can't blame the guy. He just might want to see how Caldwell and the rest of this team looks before he decides. It's a business to him and I can't fault the guy now. What he did over the summer without an agent stringing us along stunk to high heaven though.

Stafford? Now being coached by a guy named Jim Bob Coooter? How did we get a guy who has a name that sounds as though he fell off the Dukes of Hazzard set to come work his magic here? If he can do for Stafford what he did for Manning & Brees, I'm all for it. I never thought Stafford did much or grow under Linehan and Schwartz. Optimistic here.

But then hell, it's pre-season. We're ALL optimistic. We're all tanked up on the Kool-Aid itching for when the real season matters.

And besides this year I'm gonna bust out the tea leaves for my prognostication device. No more bunions, magic 8 balls or any of that other voodoo. I'll brew up a few urns and see what comes up so I can adequately make the Mother of All Predictions for the real season. Pre-season predictions? Nah. Not gonna waste some good tea leaves on that and like what rb336 said, it's about as useful as a set of encyclopedias in the Kardashian Mansion.

Besides I wanna see if gnome is still going to be around. He's had that Miss Cleo turban in storage for way too long.

I'm not holding out much hope for the Lions. The NFL is a passing league now and they did NOTHING to address their awful secondary. In fact, with them having to release Houston with his injury, their secondary is probably worse than it was last year. The offense is going to have to score 40 points a game just to keep up with the sieve their defense is going to be.

Not impressed at all.

Las Vegas books have them at 38-1 to win the Super Bowl. Long shot at best. I'll give them 8-8 if they get some breaks.

11-5
    AND they win a playoff game

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    I'm not holding out much hope for the Lions. The NFL is a passing league now and they did NOTHING to address their awful secondary. In fact, with them having to release Houston with his injury, their secondary is probably worse than it was last year. The offense is going to have to score 40 points a game just to keep up with the sieve their defense is going to be.

Not impressed at all.
    I hear ya. The NFL has become a passing league and the Lions are falling into that mold hook, line & sinker. Look at the weapons they've surrounded Stafford with now- so yeah, I agree on that point.

It's going to be shoot out, shoot out, shoot out, and more shoot outs if we're going to stand a snowball's chance in winning any of the games. Okay, just maybe we can bank on the fact that Suh & Fairley are going to become absolute beasts because they're playing for contracts- but that's not going to compensate for Slay's inexperience and Mathis's aging legs on the corners.

IMO, Suh is taking a wait and see attitude with respect to the new coaching team. I feel that he does not want spend his entire career on a team that will never get past the first round, even if they even get in the play-offs.

So it is all about him.

However, unlike a Hainesworth, Suh lives up to his end of a bargain.

The say that "it is a business" and Suh sees it that way.

The big problem is that the Lions will still take a 9 million cap hit, if he leaves, in exchange for a third round compensatory pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    IMO, Suh is taking a wait and see attitude with respect to the new coaching team. I feel that he does not want spend his entire career on a team that will never get past the first round, even if they even get in the play-offs.

So it is all about him.

However, unlike a Hainesworth, Suh lives up to his end of a bargain.

The say that "it is a business" and Suh sees it that way.

The big problem is that the Lions will still take a 9 million cap hit, if he leaves, in exchange for a third round compensatory pick.
    I can see both sides to this coin. I completely agree that Suh's wait and see approach to Caldwell & Co. is what's going on. Who can blame him on that? If he thinks that the management is going to blow, who can blame him for leaving? He's going to make his money- whether it's here or somewhere else. And I don't begrudge the big fella for making as much as he can. After he's long in the tooth and away from the NFL, I don't see Goodell going over to his house to help pay the bills.

As a fan I don't like the fact that he does have so much sway over the team though. Because he did hold out over the summer with negotiations, the Lions were a little ham strung with signing other free agents. I don't see that as his fault though. The timing just sucked ass for the Lions that this was the last year of Suh's contract.

And again- as a fan I want the guy to stick around. He's amazingly talented and what fan wouldn't want that? He seems to have cleaned up his game on the field [[anyone want to look up the penalty numbers on him last year?) and is still a force out there. IMO if he stays I think we stand a better chance to getting to the promised land. If he bolts it just might a barometer to other things going on in that clubhouse that we fans just don't know about.

What are people's takes on the rookie class?

Wow, summer is flying by. Training camp started and caught me completely unawares. I got caught up in the World Cup and Tour de France and have gotten way behind in my Lion's studies, so an F for me in class participation. So let me do some online research, check my charts, and pick up a bottle of bourbon and I'll catch up. Then I will be able to intelligently answer these questions. I can feel the excitement building. Go Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Wow, summer is flying by. Training camp started and caught me completely unawares. I got caught up in the World Cup and Tour de France and have gotten way behind in my Lion's studies, so an F for me in class participation. So let me do some online research, check my charts, and pick up a bottle of bourbon and I'll catch up. Then I will be able to intelligently answer these questions. I can feel the excitement building. Go Lions!
    "Bottle of bourbon"? Now why didn't I think of that to help in making my predictions? DAMN!

I'm impressed. I thought I'd try to breathe a little life back into this thread a few days ago and people are already starting to chime in with smart observations, pre-season predictions, regular season predictions, ways of predicting, and all sorts of discussion so far. Way to go loyal Lions fans! Thanks again and keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I hear ya. The NFL has become a passing league and the Lions are falling into that mold hook, line & sinker. Look at the weapons they've surrounded Stafford with now- so yeah, I agree on that point.

It's going to be shoot out, shoot out, shoot out, and more shoot outs if we're going to stand a snowball's chance in winning any of the games. Okay, just maybe we can bank on the fact that Suh & Fairley are going to become absolute beasts because they're playing for contracts- but that's not going to compensate for Slay's inexperience and Mathis's aging legs on the corners.
    Slay is in his second year, which could make a big difference. they have decent safeties. Will they be ranked as one of the best secondaries? not a chance. Can they get better? yes, they can. It's a wait and see thing. I would love to see them get another corner, but I wasn't particularly sold on what was available in either free agency [[because of Suh, they probably couldn't have gotten a decent corner anyway) or the draft

The biggest problem with the Lions under Schwartz was lack of discipline. Their biggest offensive problem last year wasn't Stafford - it was too many players with hands like bricks. If they didn't lead the league in dropped passes, they were damn close.

What kills me is the glowing comments I've heard lately about Cutler, who got his best QB rating last year while throwing for half of Stafford's yards and a higher interception to TD ratio -- and it still wasn't above 90. People are acting as if he's Aaron Rogers. The Bears are far and away the most over-rated team in the league. And yes, I think the Lions are under-rated

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast