Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Geodesic-dome-like houses on Vernor

Does anyone know the story of the pair of blue dome houses on Vernor at St. Anne, next to TamalerÃ[a Nuevo León? I've always wondered about them, and I noticed today that they're listed for sale. Asking price is $70,000.

Those two domes are a house and a garage from what I remember. My wife and I had look at the property a couple of years ago when it was for sale and I think they were asking over $200,000. My wife didn't like the idea of living so close to the "dead hooker" tunnel that goes under the railroad tracks however.

My wife didn't like the idea of living so close to the "dead hooker" tunnel that goes under the railroad tracks however.
    do tell more about this tunnel...

One of the "scariest" tunnels in the city, followed closely by any tunnel in the Milwaukee Junction area.

My mom loves geodesic homes because of their structure and rigidity during inclement weather [[hurricanes). That instituional light blue needs to go.

dexterferry Guest

jack white's hippie brother built that dome and lived there for awhile.

Riding your bike under that tunnel is always scary. At least they finally put a light under there a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    jack white's hippie brother built that dome and lived there for awhile.
    Do tell more info.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    do tell more about this tunnel...
    there isn't much more to tell, its where vernor passes under the railroad tracks behind the MCS, its dark and sketchy.

You can see them on Google Maps [[with the satellite view turned on)

The folks at O'Connor Real Estate in Corktown have them up for sale.

www.oconnordetroit.com

Having seen them for sale now I remember them, I'll trade them my house for theirs. Well maybe not the garage is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaFuzz View Post
    You can see them on Google Maps [[with the satellite view turned on)
    or... you can venture in there after getting incredibly high and arrogant and make a video before you head back to Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield and it'll show how unique, quirky, and original you are [[aren't you tired of those vids?)... anyhow I'm getting really tired of that area being what it is when some business owners are trying so hard....

I think I would get claustrophobia living in that house.

http://www.oconnordetroit.com/proper...667_vern/1.htm

croweblack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paragon_belial View Post
    i don't know much about those houses, but i do know that the original owners sold the one closest to vernor and that it was being rented out. my friend went to look at the place and was told that there had been a homicide while a party was happening at the house and that there was a big blood mark on the floor. other than that, i've got nothing.
    yep that is correct--the two guys busted in with shotguns and OOPS! there was an off duty and armed wayne county sheriff in there.

one was killed in the house, the other escaped but was later found down the street still alive but in pretty bad shape.

dexterferry Guest

and to any interested purchasers, word is that wasn't just a random B&E: the domes were being used as an afterhours party venue and that is why the bad guys showed up. from what I heard, Gillis was even raising kids there before he rented it out, I think.

you can walk to honeybee and fresh tamales are just a few steps away.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    there isn't much more to tell, its where vernor passes under the railroad tracks behind the MCS, its dark and sketchy.
    I never really considered this a tunnel, just a bridge underpass. It's scary but c'mon, its by the train station, you're only gonna see photographers and suburban highschoolers over there.

There was a thread on these places on the old forum. I've been trying to find it for awhile but the search function over there is off due to maintenance.

The place was for sale by owner at the time, and he came in and talked about how he built the place by hand. I think he was asking well over $100,000.

I love the idea of that place, but I have to have windows to see outside. Also, I find the surroundings a bit depressing. Right on the lots where the house is, there are the remnants of another house, buried foundation, remains of cement steps leading up from the sidewalk, some very old landscaping. Also, I couldn't stand to have the ruins of MCS towering over me like that.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-26-09 at 08:22 AM.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    and to any interested purchasers, word is that wasn't just a random B&E: the domes were being used as an afterhours party venue and that is why the bad guys showed up. from what I heard.
    jesus, how long ago was this?

I never really considered this a tunnel, just a bridge underpass. It's scary but c'mon, its by the train station, you're only gonna see photographers and suburban highschoolers over there.
    go have a walk through there a couple times then, especially when its raining, lots of curiously destitute and desparate looking photographers and suburban highschoolers, but it does provide a good storm shelter for the roosevelt park summer camp. be sure to wonder at the myriad of gang graffiti down there as well. great place to stroll
    Last edited by gravitymachine; April-26-09 at 09:15 AM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    There was a thread on these places on the old forum. I've been trying to find it for awhile but the search function over there is off due to maintenance.

The place was for sale by owner at the time, and he came in and talked about how he built the place by hand. I think he was asking well over $100,000.

I love the idea of that place, but I have to have windows to see outside. Also, I find the surroundings a bit depressing. Right on the lots where the house is, there are the remnants of another house, buried foundation, remains of cement steps leading up from the sidewalk, some very old landscaping. Also, I couldn't stand to have the ruins of MCS towering over me like that.
    Call me a nut-case, but I love the look of that building. I know it's a ruin, but there's just something about it.

for what it's worth, i lived on st. anne about four houses away from those domes for a year and i never experienced anything sketchy or weird in that neighborhood. and from what i remember, the owners of the geodesic domes were raising kids there.

i covet that property-- the domes look sweet and that's a pretty [[and sizable) lot.

Why would anyone want to live in such a proverty stricken area?

Exactly why you are ane ex-detroiter. To each his own.

Crime to high, taxes too high, return to low!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesuperior View Post

i covet that property-- the domes look sweet and that's a pretty [[and sizable) lot.
    Heck, listing for $70,000, they'd probably take a good deal less. It's right there by the bridge . . . I'm half tempted myself.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Crime to high, taxes too high, return to low!
    Is that a command?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast