Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

MoparDan,

Get this, I bought it from a guy that lived in the apartment complex I was living at in Dearborn at the time. Maintenance crews told me the thing had sat outside for at least the last 2-3 years, never moved once. Car turned out to be from Arizona, solid as can be. Bought it for $7,000 back in 2001. $7,000 shouldn't even get you a running plain jane 1970 Challenger, so I'd say I did good. Before you ask, yes, I verified it's a real R/T. Stamped on the radiator support and the cowl, both of which match the vin. Have the trim tag too.

Against what's the norm it seems for Mopar peoples, the car will be built along the lines of a pro-touring car, though retain most of it's stock appearance inside and out. I bought a custom set of springs from Eaton Spring in Corktown, so the rear is already lowered significantly. Koni shocks all around too. Still need torsion bars for the front and a front end rebuild kit, then the suspension will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    MoparDan,

Get this, I bought it from a guy that lived in the apartment complex I was living at in Dearborn at the time. Maintenance crews told me the thing had sat outside for at least the last 2-3 years, never moved once. Car turned out to be from Arizona, solid as can be. Bought it for $7,000 back in 2001. $7,000 shouldn't even get you a running plain jane 1970 Challenger, so I'd say I did good. Before you ask, yes, I verified it's a real R/T. Stamped on the radiator support and the cowl, both of which match the vin. Have the trim tag too.

Against what's the norm it seems for Mopar peoples, the car will be built along the lines of a pro-touring car, though retain most of it's stock appearance inside and out. I bought a custom set of springs from Eaton Spring in Corktown, so the rear is already lowered significantly. Koni shocks all around too. Still need torsion bars for the front and a front end rebuild kit, then the suspension will be done.
    I passed up many a good deal on Chargers/Satellites/Challengers. Why? Because they were painted that God awful pine green color Mopar seemed so proud of. It wasn't just the exterior, but every interior had them. This was back in the 80s, so restoration sources for converting the interior to another color weren't available like they are now. Or the asking prices on the ones I liked were well beyond my budget.
    While active duty, I worked part-time for a Gatti's delivering pizzas. Part of my route was in a rural area & I often passed a house with a '70 Charger parked in the weeds. I stopped one day to look at it; not too bad condition overall[[I believe the body was light gold poly with black vinyl roof & the interior was black). No one was home but another time I stopped & he was there. He wasn't interested in selling; planned to restore it "some day". It was a 383-4bbl, AT with A/C, which I thought was perfect. I passed by there regularly for almost another yr before quitting & the car never moved. It wouldn't surprise me if it's still there.

You're right about Mopar people being ultra-purists; Ford & Chevy fans seem to have no problem going at it. My take is that Chrysler didn't have the production numbers, so they're not as plentiful or readily available.
    If I had an original musclecar, it'd be tough for me to customize it. At the same time, I'd like some modern tech in there; the best compromise would be to customize, but keep the original parts in case you sold it to someone wanting to restore it to factory specs. Just an observation.
    We have a beautiful day in the making already here. I've had my morning caffeine & about to start scraping the floorpans some more. It ain't all fame & glory!