Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

"If I were injured by a gun stolen from a private house then I'd be inclined to file suit against the original owner myself..."

Good luck with that.

I had a registered pistol stolen from my house. I reported it to the DPD and made out a police report. I imagine that it probably has been used in a crime [[pretty likely because stolen by a neighbor who landed back in prison subsequently).

I never heard another word. I have no more responsibility for a crime committed with a stolen gun than I have if someone used my stolen tv to bop someone or electrocute someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I never heard another word. I have no more responsibility for a crime committed with a stolen gun than I have if someone used my stolen tv to bop someone or electrocute someone.
    Not quite the same thing. We're pretty much arguing about what is a reasonable step to take to ensure that your gun doesn't end up in the hands of a criminal who will use the weapon to commit a crime. Gannon's opinion is that just locking the doors to your house is enough. That probably is the law in most states, however, some states do require you to secure your guns in a safe even while in your home.

My father has a CCW permit in Michigan and owns a lot of guns [[rifles and hand guns) which he keeps locked in a safe. The only gun that he doesn't keep in his safe is the one that he carries with him whenever he leaves his house. If his house gets burglarized while he's not home there is about a 0% chance that a gun he owns will get stolen and end up in a criminal's hands.