Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

The Catholic Church IS diversity. It's an immense presence in Africa and Latin America. India has large numbers of Catholics. And of course, Catholics in the Middle East are being murdered and driven out by Muslim extremists.
    As far as an urban ministry : locally, the Cornerstone Schools [[ founded by Cardinal Maida), Focus Hope, Christo Rey, CYO sports programs, Mercy Health programs, St. John's Hospital, Marygrove College, UDMercy, Capuchin Soup Kitchen, St. Leo's soup kitchen, Dominican Literacy Center, refugee settlement programs- this is only a partial list of Catholic urban ministries, both institutional and personal.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The Catholic Church IS diversity. It's an immense presence in Africa and Latin America. India has large numbers of Catholics. And of course, Catholics in the Middle East are being murdered and driven out by Muslim extremists.
    As far as an urban ministry : locally, the Cornerstone Schools [[ founded by Cardinal Maida), Focus Hope, Christo Rey, CYO sports programs, Mercy Health programs, St. John's Hospital, Marygrove College, UDMercy, Capuchin Soup Kitchen, St. Leo's soup kitchen, Dominican Literacy Center, refugee settlement programs- this is only a partial list of Catholic urban ministries, both institutional and personal.
    My problems with our local Archdioscese is illustrated in part by 1 - the closing of Notre Dame High School in Harper Woods, 2 - the amount of my money that has directly or indirectly gone towards settlements due to pedophiles in the priesthood, 3 - the Most Blessed Sacrament - all that money to build a fortress. Close a Catholic School, while parishes like St. Joe's, Sacred Heart, Josephat, etc., etc., are slowly dying, but pump $13 million building a compound that maybe 1,000 people a week go to.

Being a Roman Catholic does not mean you have to support those who run the Roman Catholic Church.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    My problems with our local Archdioscese is illustrated in part by 1 - the closing of Notre Dame High School in Harper Woods.
    The Archdiocese had nothing to due with the closing of Notre Dame. The Marist Brothers opened Notre Dame Prep in Pontiac and poached much of the best staff for that facility. After a year or so they closed the Harper Woods location, supposedly because the bulk of the students were going to Pontiac. It was a more subtle way of moving to the outer suburbs than Catholic Central, but the end result was the same.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The Archdiocese had nothing to due with the closing of Notre Dame. The Marist Brothers opened Notre Dame Prep in Pontiac and poached much of the best staff for that facility. After a year or so they closed the Harper Woods location, supposedly because the bulk of the students were going to Pontiac. It was a more subtle way of moving to the outer suburbs than Catholic Central, but the end result was the same.
    The Archdiocese closed Notre Dame along with 15 other schools at the time. The enrollment was down, and while there may be some truth to the poaching, The Marist Brothers are part of the Archdiocese. Notre Dame actually sued the Archdiocese to stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    ... Close a Catholic School, while parishes like St. Joe's, Sacred Heart, Josephat, etc., etc., are slowly dying...

Being a Roman Catholic does not mean you have to support those who run the Roman Catholic Church.
    Sacred Heart? If you mean the parish on Mack north of Eastern Market, then I have to disagree in regard to its viability. That place is usually packed and the choir is a force of nature.

I do 100 percent agree with the second comment. And that applies whether you consider yourself "orthodox", "progressive", or somewhere in the muddled middle.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    Sacred Heart? If you mean the parish on Mack north of Eastern Market, then I have to disagree in regard to its viability. That place is usually packed and the choir is a force of nature.

I do 100 percent agree with the second comment. And that applies whether you consider yourself "orthodox", "progressive", or somewhere in the muddled middle.
    Sweetest Heart of Mary, sorry! But I thought the three parishes have sort of pooled resources in an effort to keep all three open.