Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ....This has to rank as one of the worst amalgam of old versus new anywhere in downtown Detroit... not to mention the awkward color palette. But since they did it with an effort to preserving what was there before... I won't complain.... much.... .....
    How can its current appearance - excuse me, "awkward color palette" - be any worse than the way it [[and the rest of that block) looked back in 1968?

"But please... continue to make a meal out of a morsel..." - Gistok

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    How can its current appearance - excuse me, "awkward color palette" - be any worse than the way it [[and the rest of that block) looked back in 1968?

"But please... continue to make a meal out of a morsel..." - Gistok
    Well thanks for finding that nearly half-century old picture of the retail block, it shows what was next door that was torn down... and also shows how it looked before the nearby storefront sign "BALTIMORE LUNCH" was uncovered.

The 1960s were the Nadir of historic preservation, there really just wasn't a lot of it back then [[as can be seen by things such as the wanton destruction of Old City Hall, and the gutting of the impossibly wonderful Mayanesque Fisher Theatre).

So since historic preservation wasn't even an issue back then... any colors buildings were painted were hardly an afterthought to returning a buildings look back to its' origins, nor is it relevant to these historic preservation times we live in today.

But your addition to this thread of my "meal/morsel" comment to one of your Non-Detroit Issues political comments... was a very weak analogy indeed... But thanks for going to all that trouble to find an image of this block as it looked back then when so many downtown buildings had facadectomies [[United Artists, Michigan Mutual, Lafayette, Whitney, etc) "so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore". Although not as drastic as putting corrugated metal over shorter building facades, painting them in drab colors was a cheaper way to tone down the "frilly" architectural features of the past.

Well thanks for finding that nearly half-century old picture of the retail block, it shows what was next door that was torn down... and also shows how it looked before the nearby storefront sign "BALTIMORE LUNCH" was uncovered.

The 1960s were the Nadir of historic preservation, there really just wasn't a lot of it back then [[as can be seen by things such as the wanton destruction of Old City Hall, and the gutting of the impossibly wonderful Mayanesque Fisher Theatre).

So since historic preservation wasn't even an issue back then... any colors buildings were painted were hardly an afterthought to returning a buildings look back to its' origins, nor is it relevant to these historic preservation times we live in today.

But your addition to this thread of my "meal/morsel" comment to one of your Non-Detroit Issues political comments... was a very weak analogy indeed... But thanks for going to all that trouble to find an image of this block as it looked back then when so many downtown buildings had facadectomies [[United Artists, Michigan Mutual, Lafayette, Whitney, etc) "so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore". Although not as drastic as putting corrugated metal over shorter building facades, painting them in drab colors was a cheaper way to tone down the "frilly" architectural features of the past.
    maybe I'm being charitable in the reading and there is some backstory I'm not aware of in the offending post, but I think the only thing being communicated was "it could be worse".

Garish or not... it's better than a "pocket park".

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Garish or not... it's better than a "pocket park".
    No one questions that it's better than NO BUILDING AT ALL....

Just compare this franchise's Grand Rapids ground floor renovations that is sympathetic to historic preservation....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Jv8QHDI4T2...00/buffalo.jpg

To what they did on the ground floor in Detroit that has no historic sympathies at all....

http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=422

The way the building looked in 1968 is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-20-12 at 05:18 PM.

No one questions that it's better than NO BUILDING AT ALL....

Just compare this franchise's Grand Rapids ground floor renovations that is sympathetic to historic preservation....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Jv8QHDI4T2...00/buffalo.jpg

To what they did on the ground floor in Detroit that has no historic sympathies at all....

http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=422

The way the building looked in 1968 is irrelevant.

I agree completely. Even the one in Dearborn is more aesthetically pleasing than this one.