Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Belle Isle

Gotta love all of the use of nasty code words here: "dregs," "thugs," "savages," and even "lower forms of life."

The fact is that Belle Isle is a very pleasant place to get away from the city for most of the week. And if you go there you will mostly see a lot of people enjoying themselves in various ways. Driving, walking, running, biking, swimming, fishing, using the athletic facilities, sitting out in the sun, cooking out, or just chilling and enjoying the scene. If you take a walk and talk to some folks you will find that almost everyone is friendly and cool [[if you're not afraid of the "savages," that is).

On weekend evenings the place does get crowded with young people, most of whom are just having fun, hanging out with their friends, and making new ones, in the way that young people do. It is probably not a scene for us oldsters. Although I've been out there on weekend nights, and while I was bothered a bit by the loud music [[fogey that I am) and by the slow moving traffic, I certainly didn't feel endangered. The police do close down the island after awhile on summer nights, which is probably a good thing, but can cause a hell of a traffic jam on Jefferson. Anyone who thinks the city is dead should come out here on one of those nights.

At all times the island is one of the safest places in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Can some explain why they don't charge a fee to get on the island.
    Ummm, maybe because it's a public park, already paid for by we taxpayers of the City of Detroit?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-05-10 at 12:43 PM.

I'm unsure of what the best solution is, but I'd have to think there is one out there.

The city doesn't do an excellent job of maintaining the island. The grass is not well maintained, the garbage is always overflowing and the facilities are in various states of disrepair. The city doesn't have enough money for even more important things...

I'm a proponent of a fee being charge because I think it will help the city do a better job of maintaining the park and control the crowds.

It was mentioned that it's a public park and all the citizens of Detroit already pay for it. I pay a TON of property taxes to the City and I still believe a small fee or a yearly pass for entrance is the best answer. I think it will make a better park for all residents of the region.

My wife and I regularly walk to the island and on the island from our home- to set the record straight, we have never felt in danger, nor have we ever been harassed. I think it's fairly safe. However, it is intimidating. That's why I think something needs to be done.

I think anyone who wants to visit the island should do so and form your own opinion.

If anyone wants to see some great old pictures of the island, check out the book on Belle Isle by Arcadia Publishing in the series 'Images of America.' It is available at Barnes and Noble, Borders, and the Detroit Public Library. Both the main branch and the Skillman branch have a copy.
    Last edited by detroitdoc; April-05-10 at 11:01 PM.

It sounds like the issue here is the perception of intimidation, not that there are actually roaming gangs of thugs using the island as their personal den of sin. My boyfriend and I went to Belle Isle at 11:30pm last Sat and enjoyed sitting on a blanket, listening to music, drinking our malt beverages and watching the city lights blink for hours. It was great, I wouldn't trade that for anything, and is the reason why I live here. Because people like me have access to places like this whenever I so choose. No one bothered us, lots of other couples strolling about hand in hand, and we got to see hundreds of gorgeous cars that I can't afford to buy for myself. What's wrong with all of this?

Sounds to me like another case of culture war: 2.5 kid families vs. young people who just want to have some fun.

BTW: If the city put more garbage cans where large groups tend to congregate, there would be less litter. And if you guys think that 2 bucks will stop cruisers from occupying the island, guess again. The ones with the nice pimp rides are the ones who can afford to pay the 2 bucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Django

Ummm, maybe because it's a public park, already paid for by we taxpayers of the City of Detroit?

Al, Metro Parks are also public parks correct? Just because it's public does not mean it's free to enter.

And to say Belle Isle is one of the safest places in Detroit at all times is a bit overstated.

Yeah, right?!

They made us put the deer herds behind a fence for their well-being!

I've been on the island at all hours over many, many years.

I've been inconvenienced, at best, due some crowds.

I may have gotten a few looks and random comments tossed my way from someone who needed to look larger than they are to their associates, but I've never felt threatened or harassed by anyone. Ever.

As an early morning island jogger, I've been distressed seeing the garbage on Monday mornings...but as others have said, it usually doesn't linger past the first day of the week.

If you'll notice, everywhere in the metro area there is trash after the winter transition into spring...so much gets scraped and piles under the snow for three or more months.

But, I am still holding forth that they put a booth and gate onto the entrance to the bridge [[which WILL save at least one man per shift during the summertime early shutdown hours), and scan every person's ID as they enter the island.

No fees, just a count and a tag of who has chosen to enjoy the island that day...so they can make sure everyone came OFF at closing time. Perhaps there can be a donation box, or some form of income to the city specific for the maintenance and upkeep of the facilities and patrolling of the island, but I would NOT make it mandatory.

As I said, looking at EVERY ID will discourage evil-doers from even attempting to gain access to the place...recording them for the night will discourage anyone from bozo-behavior, and will aide in tracking anyone down should anything untoward happen.

I think this is the most amenable solution.

Cheers

and scan every person's ID as they enter the island.
    Is someone else posting under your name? I can't believe our chief conspiracy theorist would advocate such a thing.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Is someone else posting under your name? I can't believe our chief conspiracy theorist would advocate such a thing.
    He's become a kinder, gentler conspiracy theorist.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Django

Al, Metro Parks are also public parks correct? Just because it's public does not mean it's free to enter.

And to say Belle Isle is one of the safest places in Detroit at all times is a bit overstated.
    I'd have to agree on both comments to the above statements.

detroitjim Guest

If they did decide to charge an entry fee.
    How many millions would they spend to build the new toll booth plaza?
    And
    How much of the collected tolls would finally end up in the city coffers?[[one for you one for me, one for you two for me)

The lower life forms may be a contributing factor for Detroit never returning to the city it enjoyed once upon a time. Some folks today show no signs of being raised by something other than another generation of lower life forms. It is a town I will choose not to visit unless I have plenty of protection and I doubt there is any reason to ever return to the Motor[[messed up) City. Belle Isle was a gem which many cities would have enjoyed, relished and taken good care to protect and preserve but that has not happened in Detroit.
    TOOSHAY! duh touche?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger4me View Post
    It is a town I will choose not to visit unless I have plenty of protection and I doubt there is any reason to ever return to the Motor[[messed up) City.
    You remind me of some of those folks who moved out past 25 Mile Rd., and boast that they "ain't been back in 30 years".... with the Silverdome sold... where are you going to go for your culture [[Monster Truck Rallies, Tractor Pulls and WWF Smackdowns)??

It appears that there will soon be some controlled brush "burns" on Belle Isle... similar to what was done on Walpole Island up in the Lake St. Clair seaway islands.

Preservation Wayne is asking for volunteers to help the Friends Of Belle Isle in getting rid of dry brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You remind me of some of those folks who moved out past 25 Mile Rd., and boast that they "ain't been back in 30 years".... with the Silverdome sold... where are you going to go for your culture [[Monster Truck Rallies, Tractor Pulls and WWF Smackdowns)??
    LOL- I literally laughed out loud.

Even conspiracy theorist pseudo-libertarians recognize the need for local governance, better if it is in our hands.

We'd establish tight reigns on the handling of this data, and it wouldn't be kept for long. I'm talking about using it for roll call, and if anything happened where we need to identify someone missing.

I know, start of another slippery slope.

But it was a trade against mandatory admission fees, which I am deadset against.

Cheers along the edge of the razor!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

No, if that were the case, he'd have said he only comes in for HoDown. Or is is HoeDown?! I always get 'em confused. One is a hooker distress call, the other an annual downtown disaster.

One is a hooker distress call, the other an annual downtown disaster.
    John, of all the funny things you have said, that makes it into the Hall of Fame.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    No, if that were the case, he'd have said he only comes in for HoDown. Or is is HoeDown?! I always get 'em confused. One is a hooker distress call, the other an annual downtown disaster.
    I do not like country music, but there are worse things than events that "drag" people of a certain culture [[even a "beer and steer" culture) to a place that many probably would not otherwise go.

I live in Grosse Pointe and was thinking about how much I like Belle Isle and would support a local mileage in my community, to help redevelop and maintain this regional treasure. My colleague, who also lives in Grosse Pointe, said she would support such a measure. Do you think that a mileage in one city, to support a gem in another, could gain traction? Is it even legal?

You pay a yearly fee to use those awesome parks in Grosse Pointe don't you? In college, my wife used to be a nanny a couple days a week there and would take the kids to the parks- VERY nice!

We do pay to have great parks, but we don't have an island park, with an historic aquarium and conservatory on it. Many Grosse Pointers already go to Belle Isle; why not support the island and make it better? We could pay a small tax and then get it free at those places. I'm just wondering how much support an idea like this would get in the "don't tax me ever" society we live in today.

I guess my point was that Grosse Pointe and MetroParks are a good example of what you get where there is a small fee involved to access parks. It's unfortunate Belle Isle isn't our 'Central Park.'

My understanding of making fee based access work is setting up a system where the fees to use the park stay with the park. I was told all Detroit parks funds go into a pool and it's divided around all parks/needs. I was told in order to make the system work, the system would have to be adjusted to allow the fees to only be use for Belle Isle and not go into a general pool.

I know there is some opposition to this on here, but I've heard a lot of people in support of charging a fee around town. There is a real good group of people currently meeting on this to make a proposal to the Mayor. I believe they are working with some of the groups that have an interest on the island too, although not sure which ones. I have a friend that is really involved in this.

If you're looking to ride horses in Detroit visit the Buffalo Soldiers in Rouge Park. They have taken over the old police stables and are doing a wonderful outreach with neighborhood kids.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdoc View Post
    I guess my point was that Grosse Pointe and MetroParks are a good example of what you get where there is a small fee involved to access parks. It's unfortunate Belle Isle isn't our 'Central Park.'

My understanding of making fee based access work is setting up a system where the fees to use the park stay with the park. I was told all Detroit parks funds go into a pool and it's divided around all parks/needs. I was told in order to make the system work, the system would have to be adjusted to allow the fees to only be use for Belle Isle and not go into a general pool.

I know there is some opposition to this on here, but I've heard a lot of people in support of charging a fee around town. There is a real good group of people currently meeting on this to make a proposal to the Mayor. I believe they are working with some of the groups that have an interest on the island too, although not sure which ones. I have a friend that is really involved in this.
    If Detroit was willing to give up one of its "crown jewels", a Belle Isle regional authority could be created with tri-county taxing authority [[of course Detroit would only have 20% or so of the board positions). The Belle Isle Authority [[BIA) would be an autonomous government entity that would employ the park rangers, ticket takers, and maintenance employees and contract for any rehab or construction. The tax money and the entrance fees would all go to the park and none of it would ever show up in a local gummint's budget [[the Detroit kleptocracy wouldn't be able to even smell the money).

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    If Detroit was willing to give up one of its "crown jewels", a Belle Isle regional authority could be created with tri-county taxing authority [[of course Detroit would only have 20% or so of the board positions). The Belle Isle Authority [[BIA) would be an autonomous government entity that would employ the park rangers, ticket takers, and maintenance employees and contract for any rehab or construction. The tax money and the entrance fees would all go to the park and none of it would ever show up in a local gummint's budget [[the Detroit kleptocracy wouldn't be able to even smell the money).

So you think that the tri-county area would support paying a tax for BI. I wish I lived in fantasy land where things like that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdoc View Post
    It's unfortunate Belle Isle isn't our 'Central Park.'
    I agree but Central Park was a dangerous dump until it was taken over by a conservancy. There currently isn't a conservancy or local leaders looking to take over central park.

Hell even our very own Diana Ross [[who has never done a damn thing for Detroit) donated $3MM to improve Central Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    So you think that the tri-county area would support paying a tax for BI. I wish I lived in fantasy land where things like that would happen.
    The county guys could sell it [[it wouldn't be much of a millage bite) if they could show that the Detroit thugs were frozen out of running it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast