Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Train depot help please DC & CHI

I have 6 hour and 8 hour layovers in DC and CHI ,anybody have any ideas on what to do via public transportation or quick taxi?

Prefer something of historic nature or museum related , any suggestions would be welcome . This would be from amtrac stations. Thanks Leaving sun morning with 17 hour eta.

The National Air and Space Museum in DC is pretty cool. It is less than a mile from Union Station. You could walk or catch a cab.

DC is easy! The Capitol, Supreme Court and the Library of Congress are walking distance also. You can pick up a trolley tour just north of the station, check out Old Town Trolley Tours. Museum of the North American Indian is right next to Air and Space, and they have a wonderful cafeteria with all native inspired foods.

The Blue Line will take you from O'Hare to downtown in 40 minutes or so. from there, the Field Museum is always a great stop

Are you coming to an airport in Chicago or the Train Amtrak at Union Station.

Coming into Union Depot in The Loop in Chicago you can take a cab to the Field Museum, Field Aquarium, Planentariun, Museum of science and Industry. All are 30 or less minutes from Union Depot.

The Chicago Architectural Foundation [[or something like that) gives Loop Tours on the L, or at least they used to. Tickets are free. Very educational and informative.

In DC, the obvious pick is to bum around Union Station for a bit. A Metro stop away at Judiciary Square is the National Building Museum, which is not only an interesting museum, but one of the most beautiful interior spaces I've ever seen.

In both cases, you can check your bags in a storage room at the station [[I don't think they allow you to use the lockers anymore).

Have a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    DC is easy! The Capitol, Supreme Court and the Library of Congress are walking distance also. You can pick up a trolley tour just north of the station, check out Old Town Trolley Tours. Museum of the North American Indian is right next to Air and Space, and they have a wonderful cafeteria with all native inspired foods.
    I ended up useing the Old town trolly [[$35) which worked out perfect as my meetings were close to air and space museum they run in 30 minute intervals so you stop and see what you like then hop back on to the next point of interest highly recommended .

North American Indian museum was very nicely done and very educationial ,also highly recommended ,I had lunch there also,It was not until after I was seated did I realise that different options were according to region ,but I had the southwestren choice and created a sampler platter [[$35) which equaled a high end restruant in quality and presentation.Well worth every penny and I will be stopping back to try another region on my return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The Chicago Architectural Foundation [[or something like that) gives Loop Tours on the L, or at least they used to. Tickets are free. Very educational and informative.

In DC, the obvious pick is to bum around Union Station for a bit. A Metro stop away at Judiciary Square is the National Building Museum, which is not only an interesting museum, but one of the most beautiful interior spaces I've ever seen.

In both cases, you can check your bags in a storage room at the station [[I don't think they allow you to use the lockers anymore).

Have a blast!
    The timeing was off on the way up but my return trip will allow to take advantage of your suggestions,bag check in Dc [[$20) for the day but in Chi the fingerscan acess was giving problems and a bit scary as to if I could even retrive my carry on I was not comfortable that it collected my fingerprint then refused locker acess. so I pretty much was stuck dragging it around ,checked out Sears tower and the just kinda hung out.

Trains were packed from Fla to Dc,Dc to Chi,Chi to Mlps 60 hours from start to finish and had a blast so far.
    Last edited by Richard; April-05-12 at 10:21 PM.

Sounds like a great trip! I love the itinerary and the sights you have seen so far. Taking the train to Florida sounds really interesting. Where did you start out?

Union Station in Chicago is not that convenient for walking, but you can get on Metra there and taxis are plentiful and not too expensive if you want to go to the Field or somewhere not convenient to Metra.

I'm glad you got to try the Mitsitam Cafe', my favorite place to have an early dinner in DC. It's challenging and fun to make a family feast from all the different regions. They keep changing the offerings so there is no way to run out of new things to try. The exhibits are eye-opening, too. My favorites are the ones dealing with Southwest water issues, and the Anishinaabe one dealing with spirituality.

I hope thats not on the same trip! You can avoid much of that by getting on the train in Toledo instead. You should be able to get to Toledo by bus. Going to Chicago to head East is not what I would call fun.

Does VIA still cross at Buffalo? If so, you should be able to hop a tain in Windsor and transfer either in Hamilton or Toronto.

I left from Tampa Fl to Dc and then to Mlps ,Dc was Detroit related Mlps was personal estate related ,17 hours from Orlando to Dc ,mostly snowbirds returning to New York,I did meet some really cool Detroit people that did transfer in Toledo for their return to Detroit.

Going up I had some quick meet and greet you have ten minutes to speak kinda things in DC and was glad to take advantage of your guys recommendations ,fortunately I was called back for more then 10 minutes on the return trip so unfortunately was left with not much time to explore more.

Then from Dc to Chicago was another 17 hour train ride with the 6 hour layover then it was on to Mlps for another 8 hour ride. 60 hours total and I enjoyed every second of it . You guys were great : )

I could have flown but I wanted to mix personal and business and this seemed to be the best way to go and it was,I met so many really cool people on the trip the miles in between did not really matter.

The trains were packed to capacity both ways with only about two hours in delays but considering the distance traveled it was no big deal.

Roomette going up from Orlando to Dc would have been an additional $465 and from Dc to Chicago only $84 what a difference.I guess booking in the middle of the month is way cheaper for the next trip.