Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

George Blaha has been the voice of the Pistons forever. He can certainly be a homer, but not in a vicious or obnoxious way, and he does know the game. His unmistakable voice and cadence really conveys the rhythm and flow of the game of basketball, and, of course, he has all of his little phrases that any Pistons fan can imitate.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    George Blaha has been the voice of the Pistons forever. He can certainly be a homer, but not in a vicious or obnoxious way, and he does know the game. His unmistakable voice and cadence really conveys the rhythm and flow of the game of basketball, and, of course, he has all of his little phrases that any Pistons fan can imitate.
    It's funny you mentioned how many fans can imitate George Blaha.

You know you've got to be on top of your broadcast game when fans are imitating the call. One of my childhood favorites was imitating George Kell's "Al, he hit it like a BOO-lit". That kind southern drawl was always the epitome of watching Tigers on television- whether it was with Larry Osterman or later Al Kaline, George Kell was one of the best.

The other one that comes to mind is the pitch of Bruce Martyn's voice when it came to "He shoots, he scoooores!". I think everyone of us that's played drop-in hockey or otherwise has imitated that particular call. I love the Ken Kal calls on the radio but no one had the timber that Bruce Martyn had. And pair him up with the old school candor and charm that Sid Abel had, they were Detroit hockey broadcasting.

One that's not mentioned very often is Van Patrick - WJBK/Channel 2 sportscaster and voice of the Detroit Lions when there was winning professional football in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I love the Ken Kal calls on the radio but no one had the timber that Bruce Martyn had. And pair him up with the old school candor and charm that Sid Abel had, they were Detroit hockey broadcasting.
    It was a real treat to listen to Ken Kal do play-by-play on tonight's Tiger's broadcast. I assume he was filling in due to the day-night double-header tomorrow. There are no quotes I could put here that would do justice, there were SO many. Let's just say that he called the ball game just like it was a Detroit Red Wings hockey game. Priceless! [[no pun intended :-)
    Last edited by ggores; August-15-13 at 09:30 PM. Reason: sloppy typing

I think Bud Lynch was so charismatic with his play by play. Example
    and SAWCHUK stopped THAT.. also describing GORDIE HOWE s GORD HOWE