Lakewood Avenue, between Kercheval and Jefferson [[far east side)...and that was my 16th birthday, when the riot began. the heat wave, the humidity, the rage. stories of snipers shooting into cars from the Ford Expressway overpasses. I was such a stupid teenager, all I could think of was that due to the friggin riot the state offices were shut down and I couldn't get my driver's license on my birthday, like I wanted to. neighbors listening to police radios, getting macho with their rifles, etc. smoke in the air, some fires on the east side not too far from our house, up near Mack as I recall. National Guard soldiers marching down our sidewalk, and when my dad lit a cigarette on our porch, they whipped around toward him with rifles ready. crazy time. scary. destructive. groups of people not allowed to assemble, so we could not practice cheerleading, LOL! then when we finally could, we would flirt with the good-looking military guys cruising around in their jeeps. oh, what a person can get used to, right?