Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Did you ever attend the, was it, Ramona Theatre? Was it still open?
    We walked to the Ramona one night to see "The Alamo" with John Wayne. It really was an epic. In the re--runs they eliminated the camera pans over the thousands of dead Mexicans in the field. My theaters were the Ramona, the Civic, the Vogue, the Alger, the Harper, and the Woods. Of all of them, the Ramona was the classiest and the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    We walked to the Ramona one night to see "The Alamo" with John Wayne. It really was an epic. In the re--runs they eliminated the camera pans over the thousands of dead Mexicans in the field. My theaters were the Ramona, the Civic, the Vogue, the Alger, the Harper, and the Woods. Of all of them, the Ramona was the classiest and the best.
    Wow, I remember going to all of those east side theaters, and more [[the Esquire, the Cinderella, the Admiral, the Punch & Judy, and, of course, the Eastown). We went to the Ramona a few times for Saturday matinees back when I had cousins who lived on Young near Chalmers. I remember the rotunda in the front and the rather luxurious appointments. My mother said it reminded her of a slightly less grand version of the Riviera on Grand River that she used to go to as a teenager.

Oddly, they were tearing down the theater at the same time we were redoing our porch. The color of the theater matched the color of our front steps, so we bought a load of their bricks cheap. Thus there are a few little pieces of the Ramona living on in a porch in Indian Village.