Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I too am a socially liberal Catholic, and am dismayed at the [[IMO) very selective and politicized causes.

For example, I am bombarded with pro-life materials and rhetoric at my suburban parish, but don't once recall mention of opposition to the death penalty or opposition to our nations constant warmongering. Never have I heard opposition to guns or our nation's stunning homicide rate.

If we as Catholics are against killing, for any reason, then obviously we need to fight against U.S. military action and U.S. death penalty. We need to also fight against the proliferation of guns in society and against the violence in our poorer communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I too am a socially liberal Catholic, and am dismayed at the [[IMO) very selective and politicized causes.

For example, I am bombarded with pro-life materials and rhetoric at my suburban parish, but don't once recall mention of opposition to the death penalty or opposition to our nations constant warmongering. Never have I heard opposition to guns or our nation's stunning homicide rate.

If we as Catholics are against killing, for any reason, then obviously we need to fight against U.S. military action and U.S. death penalty. We need to also fight against the proliferation of guns in society and against the violence in our poorer communities.
    I agree. Although, I think the Michigan Right to Life does address the death penalty issue. It's laughable to me all the "pro-life" politicians out there, especially the ones who were in office most of this century, who support war & the death penalty. I guess their definition of "pro-life" is anti-abortion only. Death penalty, war, euthanasia don't fit that definition & are therefore acceptable.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I agree. Although, I think the Michigan Right to Life does address the death penalty issue. It's laughable to me all the "pro-life" politicians out there, especially the ones who were in office most of this century, who support war & the death penalty. I guess their definition of "pro-life" is anti-abortion only. Death penalty, war, euthanasia don't fit that definition & are therefore acceptable.
    Pro-life is the religious race card. It is a safe play for a candidate running for office because people take such a hard line on it. It is a shame that the Church will endorse - and people will vote - soley based on what someone says is their stand on an issue that I consider close to irrelevant as to whether someone will get their job done. It is not a moral compass, because politicians lie.