Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I moved downtown 30 years ago this coming Sept. 19 and haven't looked back save for an 18 month stint while I stayed in my Mom's old house while I got it ready to sell. I was about your age when I moved downtown and yes, there is a certain "cool" factor with the ladies [[if I remember correctly). You're right that the metropolitan area is still very polarized, but most of the racism I've observed comes from whites more than blacks. There still seems to exist a code that one or more whites involved in conversation with another white can lower their voice, look over their shoulder, and talk about blacks in a non-politically correct manner. On the other hand, quite often a black male will make eye-contact with me or say hello when I pass him on the street. Rarely does a white male do the same. And while Detroit is full of many haters, the ones that love this old city love it with a passion you won't find in other places. Come on down!!!
    Last edited by downtownguy; July-25-11 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    There still seems to exist a code that one or more whites involved in conversation with another white can lower their voice, look over their shoulder, and talk about blacks in a non-politically correct manner.
    Well, to be fair, black Detroiters do this too.

Priv, this area has a very bitter history of racial segregation, separatism, and conflict. This area is rarer than most around the country because of Detroit's history of black nationalism. Friends of all races have told me that they haven't seen another place in the country where the races hate each other as much as in SE Michigan, not even excepting the South. One is moving back to California this week specifically because of the racial climate in a particular town outside of Detroit. Things are changing, but you will find some people from all ethnicities with attitudes that those from other places find shocking, mainly people of the more mature generations [[although certainly not all of them).

The upside of this is that here in Detroit, you will find some of the most sincere, kind, and honest people from all walks of life. I find that racial attitudes in other parts of the country are there but hidden and not talked about. Here in metro Detroit we let it all hang out, but after a while, you will have true and sincere friends from all age groups, as well as different racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds. And they are REAL friendships because you've aired out all the stuff. There are some folks here and around the metro whom I've gotten into it with, but at the end of the day, if they need me, I am there for them. We are loyal folks and if you are in a bind, you will get help -- emotional, material, spiritual, whatever -- from DYes people or just people around the community.

The people are the reason why I've made my adult life there. There just isn't another American city like it. It's like living in a country town where everyone is connected to you [[maybe 1-2 degrees of separation at most), but with plenty of big city amenities [[museums, theatres, nightlife, world class airport, etc.).

Glad you're thinking about joining us. Welcome in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Well, to be fair, black Detroiters do this too.
    Really? They've never done it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Really? They've never done it to me.
    LOL! Well, you are obviously one of us, then. We have adopted you!

Here's one gross generalization that I mean as a compliment: White Detroiters tend to be cool as hell, in general... nice and laid-back... and are as trendsetting as we are, if not even more so. There is a reason why many music forms and artistic trends originate in this city. I am thoroughly enjoying the summer here.

"the ones that love this old city love it with a passion you won't find many other places"

I mean't to add something like this but downtownguy is right. People who move to the city [[the ones that stay at least) tend to become very hardcore. The city becomes not just a place you live but a passion. Sure many of our suburbs are safe and clean but generally pretty boring and if you really get bit by the detroit bug the suburbs rarely cut it for you after that.

Like brush said its very easy to make friends downtown if you go out a lot, downtown in a way is kind of small town where you often know each other. The big crowds downtown are usually overwhelmingly from the burbs. Anyway, come on down and check it out. Ultimately only you can decide where is best for you but we're here to help anyway we can.