Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's all Detroit's fault. If Detroit were to suddenly fall into a giant sinkhole, metro Detroit would once again be a prosperous, desirable place to live.
    Finally, someone gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Finally, someone gets it!
    So if all Detroiters were to walk to the river and throw themselves in, that would be good for the region?

So if all Detroiters were to walk to the river and throw themselves in, that would be good for the region?
    Learn to recognize sarcasm - but if you want to go first and see what happens....

Learn to recognize sarcasm - but if you want to go first and see what happens....
    I'm not really sure you're being sarcastic.

I'm not really sure you're being sarcastic.
    Sounds like a comprehension problem. I can't help you with that.

Sounds like a comprehension problem. I can't help you with that.
    No, it's more based on your other posts. I really do think you wouldn't mind if the people of Detroit were to commit mass suicide. So, it's more of a credibility problem, for you.

And I'm afraid can't help you with that.

No, it's more based on your other posts. I really do think you wouldn't mind if the people of Detroit were to commit mass suicide. So, it's more of a credibility problem, for you.

And I'm afraid can't help you with that.

Nonsense ,but thanks for the armchair psychiatry. Having lost a loved one to suicide, that's hardly the course I would recommend [[see this is sarcasm)
    You didn't pick up on the sarcasm, I apologize if it was too vague for you.

As for credibility, you're hardly one to talk with as many empty threats I have read from you about having had enough and leaving the city, never mind the automatic accusation of "racist" that tend to apply to anyone who chooses to live outside the city.

But hey, I have no credibility with you, so why do you care what I think?

No, but a very, very persuasive Marcus Garvey would be a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hermod, I already made Detroit instantly a better place the second I departed. Black Detroit population is now -1, including my vote! But wait, an entire family of my cousins moved to Arizona, so that's -4. The first of our kin moved around 1915, and with the exception of one uncle, our family did not make 100 years in the city of Detroit.

Not sure what else you want us to do... we get it, we know, you want us gone! We are leaving... yes, I know, you wanted us gone like 40-50 years ago, but mobility = money + education in the postmodern era. It took us a while. Cut us a break.

While I don't think those of us who are native-born Black Detroiters will exactly walk into the river anytime soon, as the jobs dry up, people will be forced to migrate elsewhere to find employment. I held on as long as I could, and now have a Grand Scheme to spend 1/3 of the year, starting in 2014, working in the D. But most of those who leave will be gone, and their kids will know nothing of the city by the straits, save for perhaps a vague affection for Tigers baseball.

But I'm not sure that folks back home should care about metro population size. I'm in a bigger metro now, and as they say more people, "mo' money, mo' problems." The difference is that the problems here don't really get the national attention that problems in Detroit receive.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Hermod, I already made Detroit instantly a better place the second I departed. Black Detroit population is now -1, including my vote! But wait, an entire family of my cousins moved to Arizona, so that's -4. The first of our kin moved around 1915, and with the exception of one uncle, our family did not make 100 years in the city of Detroit.

Not sure what else you want us to do... we get it, we know, you want us gone! We are leaving... yes, I know, you wanted us gone like 40-50 years ago, but mobility = money + education in the postmodern era. It took us a while. Cut us a break.

While I don't think those of us who are native-born Black Detroiters will exactly walk into the river anytime soon, as the jobs dry up, people will be forced to migrate elsewhere to find employment. I held on as long as I could, and now have a Grand Scheme to spend 1/3 of the year, starting in 2014, working in the D. But most of those who leave will be gone, and their kids will know nothing of the city by the straits, save for perhaps a vague affection for Tigers baseball.

But I'm not sure that folks back home should care about metro population size. I'm in a bigger metro now, and as they say more people, "mo' money, mo' problems." The difference is that the problems here don't really get the national attention that problems in Detroit receive.
    And where is it that you are presently residing if you don't mind me asking English? I haven't seen you post on here recently, so there's my answer.

Begs the question: whose existence has been most detrimental to Detroit? Poor violent blacks or old racist whites?

A few more Nat Turners and John Browns would have produced a much more civil and polite USA.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    A few more Nat Turners and John Browns would have produced a much more civil and polite USA.
    Or a single William Wilberforce. Race relations in the UK and the former Commonwealth are magnitudes better than they are in the United States.

Whenever someone tells me how much more polite [[read: "better behaved") Blacks from Jamaica or Barbados or some other former British territory are, I point out that manumission over a generation or two vs. a bloody Civil War/Jim Crow/Civil Rights over a 100 year period covers it all. Blacks from the former French Caribbean colonies were freed a generation before English manumission. And those from Africa were never really chattel slaves at all, at least, not the ones with the education and wherewithal to immigrate.

In the UK, former slaveholders received financial compensation from the Crown and although not all was roses, peaches, and candy, it was a darn sight better than the mess of things the United States made, for all our talk of "freedom," "liberty," and "equality."

Oh well. Wishing for the United States to follow England's lead on the slavery question is sort of like wishing they'd just sent us back to Africa in 1865... crying over spilled milk. A visionary nation would have figured this out by now, but we haven't been that since the mid-20th century. Now, we're just reactive, and knee-jerk, and treading water. Is it any wonder that we're a nation in decline?
    Last edited by English; March-16-13 at 01:26 PM.

One more thing. The lead story on yesterday's evening news was about a roach-infested bus traveling from AC [[Atlantic City) to NYC:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...198495281.html

Do you seriously think that people in NYC/NJ/Philly are going to go out and buy cars because of that? Not going to happen.

Now imagine if the story were about a bus traveling from Detroit to Ann Arbor that was roach infested. Exactly. We'd never heard the end of it.