Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Nightmare waiting to happen ! there is a reason we had a helmet law in the first place . I have a friend that is a Doctor and he says when summer increases the motorcycle injuries are horrific with helmets, Just think about without helmets?
    Nothing good can come of this , we shouldn't be forced to pay for the Life long health care that WILL come with this new law.
    These are the same a holes that want to stop a woman's right to choose, but they want the right to ride a motorcycle without a helmet?
    What's the first thing that's going to happen when you fall off a motorcycle without a helmet? you head hits the ground!
    This is a NO BRAINER [[pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    What's the first thing that's going to happen when you fall off a motorcycle without a helmet? you head hits the ground!
    Not true. The most likely scenario is that the rider will put his or her arms/hands out to break the fall and will incur a lot of road rash on those arms and hands unless he/she is wearing a protective jacket and gloves.

A common misconception is that the rider always leads with his or her head when being thrown off the bike in a crash. In reality, arms, hands, and legs are usually the first body parts to make road contact.

Helmets are not all that they're cracked up [[excuse the pun) to be. They are heavy [[they have been known to cause riders' necks to twist and snap in crashes), and they limit riders' awareness of dangers around them [[curtailed peripheral vision, muffled hearing due to ear coverings).

Moreover, methods of testing helmets' effectiveness on impact have been dubious for decades. Helmets touted as very safe have been shown to have failed. The merit of helmets has always been a bit exaggerated [[not that they haven't saved many lives... no arguing that... however, better IMO to be dead with a squished head than to be kept alive on life support due to being "saved" by a helmet). All that said, I will probably continue to wear one much of the time.

I've always believed that wearing protective gear [[long-sleeved jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves) is much more of a must while riding. [[What's with the crotch-rocket jockeys and their girlfriends in tank tops, shorts, and sandals? !!!!)

Experience [[started riding 30 years ago) helps too, because over time you learn defensive riding techniques. Motorcycle safety courses are highly recommended for new riders [[I've had three of them and may go back again).

Keeping headlights and running lights on in daylight for visibility does wonders for helping the oblivious, careless auto drivers see you. It goes almost without saying that not riding like an idiot [[see previous references to crotch-rocket maniacs) is also a plus.

The conscientious, careful cyclist is more aware and often ends up becoming a better car driver too.
    Last edited by Fury13; April-16-12 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Not true. The most likely scenario is that the rider will put his or her arms/hands out to break the fall and will incur a lot of road rash on those arms and hands unless he/she is wearing a protective jacket and gloves.

A common misconception is that the rider always leads with his or her head when being thrown off the bike in a crash. In reality, arms, hands, and legs are usually the first body parts to make road contact.

Helmets are not all that they're cracked up [[excuse the pun) to be. They are heavy [[they have been known to cause riders' necks to twist and snap in crashes), and they limit riders' awareness of dangers around them [[curtailed peripheral vision, muffled hearing due to ear coverings).

Moreover, methods of testing helmets' effectiveness on impact have been dubious for decades. Helmets touted as very safe have been shown to have failed. The merit of helmets has always been a bit exaggerated [[not that they haven't saved many lives... no arguing that... however, better IMO to be dead with a squished head than to be kept alive on life support due to being "saved" by a helmet). All that said, I will probably continue to wear one much of the time.

I've always believed that wearing protective gear [[long-sleeved jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves) is much more of a must while riding. [[What's with the crotch-rocket jockeys and their girlfriends in tank tops, shorts, and sandals? !!!!)

Experience [[started riding 30 years ago) helps too, because over time you learn defensive riding techniques. Motorcycle safety courses are highly recommended for new riders [[I've had three of them and may go back again).

Keeping headlights and running lights on in daylight for visibility does wonders for helping the oblivious, careless auto drivers see you. It goes almost without saying that not riding like an idiot [[see previous references to crotch-rocket maniacs) is also a plus.

The conscientious, careful cyclist is more aware and often ends up becoming a better car driver too.
    I've had two concussions [[explains a lot!) while wearing a helmet. I'd be lucky to be alive had I not been wearing the helmet. Most of the misinformation comes from the "experienced" riders themselves, as far as I can tell.

Though I'm a charter life member, I wish the AMA would take up a real issue instead of a non-issue like the "freedom" to look like an idiot.