Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Foreign Cars.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    I can understand people outside of Michigan buying foreign cars [[though I despise it), but I cannot understand buying a foreign car in Michigan, unless you work for one of the few foreign companies in the state.
    Why should I prefer an American or Foreign car? The auto industry [[domestic or international) hasn't given me a dime. The reason I do not like American cars are most of them have uninspiring designs, horrible build quality and materials, and are generally unreliable.

The American auto industry built Michigan. You live in Michigan, you buy American. Period. Ford, GM, & Chrysler have built this state. They have sponsored every town's festival, little league teams, contributed millions to universities, contributed to the art's, etc. This, of course, on top of the millions of people they have employed, and pensioned forever.
    That was then, this is now. If these automotive companies are so gun-ho about Michigan, why did they expand their plants to other states [[down south, West coast) and internationally? I know it might be hard to believe, but there are other companies in Michigan too, that aren't auto-related.

I don't get it. Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering, and some Michiganders respond by buying a Toyota, or a Kia, etc. Unbelievable and unacceptable.
    Michigan's number one industry is suffering because it is uncompetitive. Michigan is suffering because we were too comfortable with the auto industry staying here, and didn't see what was obviously right in front of us. Why would one by an inferior product from a company that is uncompetitive with other companies? I'm sure the great Depression was started from buying foreign cars, although they weren't introduced to the American market until 40 years later.

Want to find a way to fix the state's budget shortfall and improve the Big 3? Find a way to tax the fuck out of foreign cars in Michigan.

Grrr.. Pisses me off.
    Improve the Big 3 even more? You mean even more than the hundreds of billions of our tax dollars spent by bailing them out? What did they do? They paid off their creditors, and filed for bankruptcy anyways. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars!

This is ridiculous, and pisses me off.

-Tahleel

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    Michigan's number one industry is suffering because it is uncompetitive. Michigan is suffering because we were too comfortable with the auto industry staying here, and didn't see what was obviously right in front of us. Why would one by an inferior product from a company that is uncompetitive with other companies? I'm sure the great Depression was started from buying foreign cars, although they weren't introduced to the American market until 40 years later.

Improve the Big 3 even more? You mean even more than the hundreds of billions of our tax dollars spent by bailing them out? What did they do? They paid off their creditors, and filed for bankruptcy anyways. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars!

This is ridiculous, and pisses me off.

-Tahleel
    What should piss you off is that the Japanese and Korean markets are effectively closed to US manufacturers. Even their Cash for Clunkers program excludes foreign manufacturers despite the US being damned sure our program didn't. You don't seem to recognize such behavior is the source of a lot of backlash against them [[aside from their labor practices and other trade advantages our government allows them to enjoy since little effort is made to level the playing field).

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    What should piss you off is that the Japanese and Korean markets are effectively closed to US manufacturers. Even their Cash for Clunkers program excludes foreign manufacturers despite the US being damned sure our program didn't. You don't seem to recognize such behavior is the source of a lot of backlash against them [[aside from their labor practices and other trade advantages our government allows them to enjoy since little effort is made to level the playing field).
    Why would someone buy one of these evil Japanese or Korean cars? Maybe because the material and build quality is better, the vehicle is more reliable and fuel efficient, and the styling is more attractive.

If you do not like these foreign products, maybe you shouldn't buy them. Who made the shirt on your back? The shoes on your feet? The computer you are using? I'm sure all of these are foreign made products. You complain about foreign cars, yet how many times in your life have you bought a NEW car? Compare that to how often you buy everyday goods that were made overseas.

-Tahleel

lilpup Guest

I didn't [[and don't) complain about the cars or other products [[except counterfeiting and other blatant intellectual property theft). I complain about the business and trade practices.