Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Shollin, I don't know that I necessarily disagree with you, but ...

... I am kind of enjoying watching you totally lose your shit over this.
    How am I losing any shit? All that has been presented is some social engineering and rhetoric about creative energy. Of course on a forum that thinks attention for a city going bankrupt is something positive, how can you reason with that insanity?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Lowell...if you read this...could you change the title of this thread to say "Campbell" instead of "Campwell"? I was distracted on the phone when I put this thread quickly together and somehow had a major brain fart.
    Fixed. I never noticed that but then I am a terrible proofreader. Please use the little report post icon that is on the lower left of every post to bring such things to our attention. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Fixed. I never noticed that but then I am a terrible proofreader. Please use the little report post icon that is on the lower left of every post to bring such things to our attention. Thanks.
    Great - thank you!

I don't see how Fouts supposedly getting his comeuppance matters any. At the the end of his day, all this has really done is bruise his ego. Even if he doesn't get reelected, it's politics, and having been mayor of a city of over 130,000 will look great on his resume.

The regular people in Warren are the ones who actually stand to suffer in more tangible ways. In the end, it's better for everyone to have a resurgent Detroit, but man is it going to be bitter unless the Big 3 pull off some economic miracle. It's just going to be one carcass picking off the other. It's kind of depressing....

The elecronic renderings for this project are really beautifully done. There is a lot of very inspiring stuff in there, it is not a flash in the pan kind of thing. This is a mammoth agency at 600 staff. It shows Detroit metro has alot of muscle and that if vital fores can regroup in downtown areas, this will contribute to pumping Detroit's old heart.

Détroit, depuis 1701; on y croit.

Good for them. There's nothing out on Van Dyke and 12 Mile Rd. anymore, but GM tech center, a blighted Tech Center Plaza and other restuarant leftovers pass Old 13 Mile Rd. Haveing Cambell-Ewald move to Downtown Detroit will help support its regional structure.

YAY GILBERT!

It's a shame the way the ugly courthouse blocks both the view of the warehouse and the view out their windows for employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I'm not made. I just don't understand first the hypocrisy. If a company moves from Detroit to the suburbs people here would have a fit and cry poaching. Second, downtowns revival is being built on just shifting area jobs downtown from the suburbs and you'll give me some line of crap on how this will help Warren and the rest of the area.
    Hypocrisy from who? I'm not afraid to say that sending jobs to downtown Detroit should be a greater priority than sending jobs to Warren.

just listened to the head of campbell ewald on craig fahle. interesting that there was no mention of tax credits, just talked about the energy and development happening in the city and trying to energize his employees. as a person working in a creative field i can attest to the power of your surroundings having an affect on your creativity. if you look at what they are doing with the space it is clear why they are leaving their bland office in warren.

the reality is a stronger downtown, stronger detroit is more important to the region and state than a strong warren. it may be rearranging deck chairs at this point, but changing the perception and appeal of downtown will attract more businesses to the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Now THAT'S interesting. They still do a lot of biz with FoMoCo.
    RE: PwC moving from the building next to Ford Field... They moved within the last few months to One Detroit Center. So they are still downtown. Rumors were they really didn't want to be across from the new jail.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    RE: PwC moving from the building next to Ford Field... They moved within the last few months to One Detroit Center. So they are still downtown. Rumors were they really didn't want to be across from the new jail.
    I forgot about that. Maybe DY could start a string on cool looks for a new jailhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's a shame the way the ugly courthouse blocks both the view of the warehouse and the view out their windows for employees.
    I was thinking the same, why not moved into Gilberts "Old Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago" Downtown? More appealing, better location..etc. Now that would of been GREAT for the Campus Martius Area..Gilbert is trying to lure a "single" big company there.

I think the Campus Martius area is looking pretty good already. If we want that area to make the next step, I think we need to see other areas improve first. Right now, if you just cross over one block to Washington Boulevard, it's like entering the twilight zone.

This is Mayor Fouts' response on the whole matter...

http://www.freep.com/article/2013030...SS06/303070149

I laughed through most it. Poor ol' chap didn't see it coming and now he's holding onto to C-E's ankles in desperation by attacking Detroit. Can't say I blame him though. And then really has the ego to say GM was going to move to Warren after their collapse. Well they didn't buddy sorry, now C-E is gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I was thinking the same, why not moved into Gilberts "Old Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago" Downtown? More appealing, better location..etc. Now that would of been GREAT for the Campus Martius Area..Gilbert is trying to lure a "single" big company there.
    Yeah, when I was thinking about good buildings downtown for them to locate too that was one of the ones I was thinking of. It's a great location, architecturally distinguished, reliable management/ownership, the parking garage behind it is also owned by gilbert and it's near the people mover and any future light rail, is prominent, and they would be the sole tenant. However, it's only 176,000 square feet, and they needed 240,000.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I think the Campus Martius area is looking pretty good already. If we want that area to make the next step, I think we need to see other areas improve first. Right now, if you just cross over one block to Washington Boulevard, it's like entering the twilight zone.
    Campus Martius Area still needs works, nowhere near to its potential. You still at least have 4 to 5 "almost" vacant buildings around the area, Monroe and Woodward Block still undeveloped..we still have ways to go. I rather have density than to be spread out throughout Downtown. The Ford field location is still isolated, your surrounded by garages, a courthouse and surface parking..ugh.

we cant forget that the place they chose has a very open floorplan as it was part of the warehouse and allows them to make it theirs. a traditional office wouldnt allow them to do a lot of the things you see in the renderings. its not just about being downtown, its about finding a place that allows them to create the workplace they want. i doubt there are many other locations in the cbd where they could pull off what they are without buying an entire building.

I think that as far as office space goes... it's more important to fill what we already have, than to build anew... and with restaurants in the Broderick Tower coming online, it's a win-win for them.

I didn't realize that it was as recent as 1978 that Campbell Ewald left Detroit. I would like to see the 1973 exited AAA of Michigan return downtown as well. They decimated the Bagley area with their exit [[leaving 2 buildings empty... the AAA and United Artists), and would make a nice addition if they relocated again downtown.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    This is Mayor Fouts' response on the whole matter...

http://www.freep.com/article/2013030...SS06/303070149

I laughed through most it. Poor ol' chap didn't see it coming and now he's holding onto to C-E's ankles in desperation by attacking Detroit. Can't say I blame him though. And then really has the ego to say GM was going to move to Warren after their collapse. Well they didn't buddy sorry, now C-E is gone too.
    What he said was true. He probably shouldn't have said it, but only on this delusional forum would anyone believe Detroit is safer and cleaner than Warren. I just like the irony. When the suburbs lure jobs from Detroit they're sabators. When Detroit lures jobs from the suburbs it's a win for Detroit and a feather in their cap.

Shollin, you are arguing past people.

"Safer" and "Cleaner" are only some of the factors that go into a business siting decision. They are not the end-all, be-all. Were that the case, no doubt C-E would have chosen Warren [[or Troy, or Novi, or wherever) rather than Detroit.

But were those things all that businesses consider then NYC and Chicago would never attract businesses, and they would instead always choose White Plains or Schaumburg or wherever.

In this case, particularly seeing as it's an advertising business, it makes sense to be somewhere "cool" and urban and all those sorts of things, even if it is a little "dirty". Fact of the matter is, there is only one place in the Metro area that can offer the cool/urban/history/etc. package that Detroit does.

So it's different strokes for different businesses. C-E is one of the businesses that values urbanity and dynamism over safety and cleanliness. Lots of other businesses feel the opposite, so they remain in, or move to, the burbs.

I think it's important that we look at our Metro as a menu of options where people and businesses can choose where to live and work, or locate companies, without having to drag down others' choices. This applies equally to the folks ripping on Warren, too, IMO, because it offers it's own menu item that is different from Detroit that is different from downriver, that is different from Birmingham or Troy, that is different than Ann Arbor, and so on.

What he said was true. He probably shouldn't have said it, but only on this delusional forum would anyone believe Detroit is safer and cleaner than Warren.
    Somehow I doubt that the crime rate in Warren is much better than that of downtown Detroit.

What he said was true. He probably shouldn't have said it, but only on this delusional forum would anyone believe Detroit is safer and cleaner than Warren. I just like the irony. When the suburbs lure jobs from Detroit they're sabators. When Detroit lures jobs from the suburbs it's a win for Detroit and a feather in their cap.
    If safer and cleaner is the driving factor why isn't every business from Warren moving North?

If we are playing areas against each other and 'safe and clean' are so important why would any company choose Warren over a myriad of other suburban options.

More of the 'at least we're safer and cleaner than Detroit" rhetoric

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    If safer and cleaner is the driving factor why isn't every business from Warren moving North?

If we are playing areas against each other and 'safe and clean' are so important why would any company choose Warren over a myriad of other suburban options.

More of the 'at least we're safer and cleaner than Detroit" rhetoric
    Yeah, if Campbell Ewald were looking for safer and cleaner then they would've probably opted to go to Troy instead of staying in Warren.

Really, if that's Warren's economic development strength then the only thing that city has to feed on is Detroit for expansion. Relatively speaking, it's one of the less safe and clean suburban economic centers in Metro Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013030...nter-in-Warren

I certainly hope Shollin is up in arms if these jobs are moving from another city in metro Detroit. Looks like 300 jobs are moving [[likely from somewhere in Metro Detroit) to Warren. Ohhhhh, the horror.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Somehow I doubt that the crime rate in Warren is much better than that of downtown Detroit.
    Disagree. North Warren where Campbell Ewald was is very safe. The bad parts of Warren, no surprise, are along the Detroit border. Point being was I simply said what Fouts said was true. Along with the fact Warren has a functioning government and lower taxes. I personally wouldn't have said since there is no need for political leaders who share a border to get into some sort of spat.

The point I keep trying to circle back to is the people who claim this is going to help the region. It only helps Detroit when you simply move jobs. New jobs would help the region.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast