Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think [[hope) we lucked out with the Iowa tackle. He dropped into our lap quite nicely. Hopefully he can learn to play left tackle but if not he will be a good player for us.
    For the 2nd round I would love to see the north ala CB drop to our pick, probably not but I would pick him. The center from Wis would be a good pick or any other O-lineman. I would love to see a OLB or a safety picked as well.
    We shall see, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I think [[hope) we lucked out with the Iowa tackle. He dropped into our lap quite nicely. Hopefully he can learn to play left tackle but if not he will be a good player for us.
    For the 2nd round I would love to see the north ala CB drop to our pick, probably not but I would pick him. The center from Wis would be a good pick or any other O-lineman. I would love to see a OLB or a safety picked as well.
    We shall see, so far so good.
    I'll say it for Lions Nation... WHAT THE HECK DID WE JUST DRAFT in the second round? A wide receiver??

Huh WHAT?

I've trusted Mayhew for the longest time and still have faith in him but damn, if this doesn't get me scratching my melon now. I was alright with the Riley Reiff ink the first round. It wasn't sexy at all but it showed commitment to keeping Stafford vertical. I get it.

But Ryan Broyles? Now I don't profess to have watch enough college ball to know this guy inside and out. I'm not a member of Sooner Nation, but just based upon the positional need of this team I was shocked to see our team go for a WR at this stage. And for a guy coming off of an ACL tear no less. The Lions medical team had better have cleared this guy but good.

I also get it that Jenkins was off the board but why not snatch up the next best CB in Casey Hayward or Whitney Mercilus who I thought worked out well for the Lions awhile back.

I'm at a loss for words right now. Let's wait and see who they snatch up in the 3rd round. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that why get some defensive help. The issues this team has aren't going to be solved easily in free agency IMO.

Okay the BP has flamed down to a mild simmer with the selection of CB Dwight Bentley. I'm hoping that this throw round pick pans out well because... Lawdy- we sure need to capture lightning in a bottle with this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Okay the BP has flamed down to a mild simmer with the selection of CB Dwight Bentley. I'm hoping that this throw round pick pans out well because... Lawdy- we sure need to capture lightning in a bottle with this position.
    Bleacherreport.com gave the Lions a very generous B for their first three picks.

I would strongly suggest possibly taking a breath and doing a little more research on Broyles though. If it wasn't for his injury [[and from all indications, he's fine) he would've been a first round pick. He very well could be a sleeper find for the slot position but more than likely I can see him being used as a PR/KR for starters. I do agree that using a second round pick for an immediate special teamer seems odd. I'm wondering if the Lions see him replacing a Burleson or Titus Young at some point. A friend of mine even questioned if he's supposed to dispel the Calvin Johnson/ Madden video game soon-to-be curse.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Bleacherreport.com gave the Lions a very generous B for their first three picks.

I would strongly suggest possibly taking a breath and doing a little more research on Broyles though. If it wasn't for his injury [[and from all indications, he's fine) he would've been a first round pick. He very well could be a sleeper find for the slot position but more than likely I can see him being used as a PR/KR for starters. I do agree that using a second round pick for an immediate special teamer seems odd. I'm wondering if the Lions see him replacing a Burleson or Titus Young at some point. A friend of mine even questioned if he's supposed to dispel the Calvin Johnson/ Madden video game soon-to-be curse.
    I get it. Broyles is what they would call a value pick. He's the best player on the board. Sure, I'll give it up to Mayhew for having a plan and sticking with it; he doesn't pull off any offbeat, crazy ass Draft Day surprises like Millen- but I'm still going to be gun shy any time the Lions draft a wide receiver early on in the Draft.

As a replacement for any of the current receivers? I hope not. I've always thought that a second round pick shouldn't be a luxury pick for depth. Second rounders should be able to step in immediately and start. With as many quality receivers as we have on this team already he's either going to be hard pressed to see time on the field or be the kick off & punt guy for awhile- and then he's still got to supplant Stefan Logan. And with the new kick off rules- most return guys have been stymied already so I'm not sure where Broyles is going to get the turf time to impress us.

And yeah, we've tasted a bit of the good life by having a much improved team now. We saw what it was like to be in a post season game. So now we want some immediacy. I'm still going to be scratching my head about this pick and my faith in Mayhew is going to be tested.

Damn. What's the world coming to when Drew Sharp and I are thinking the same thing?

http://www.freep.com/article/2012042...-available-WR-

It's surely one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

I was enraged on Friday, but now I like this draft. Broyles has the potential to be a star playing next to Calvin. And the trio of Megatron, Titus and Broyle could be the best in the league in two years.

Besides, no other CB that was on the board stood out as an instant starter. I personally wanted them to trade up 15 spots in the 2nd to get J. Jenkins, but they cost might have been too high [[2nd & 3rd minimum).

Of course no one will know anything until training camp, preseason and ultimately when the real games start.