Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

1. The DIA is very aware that is belongs to the city and makes it a point to look like a good city asset, so it doesn't go around distancing itself from Detroit.

2. The more I think about the idea that art would be sold in receivership, the more I am convinced that the state would intervene to prevent this from happening. The state has given the museum many millions of dollars over the years and is as much a stakeholder in this as anyone. If Michigan's trove of great art [[yes, much of it claimed by Detroit) is lost, the state gets a black eye.

Coaccession Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    1. The DIA is very aware that it belongs to the city and makes it a point to look like a good city asset, so it doesn't go around distancing itself from Detroit.
    Michael O'Hare studies museum asset performance, 1953, and would likely beg to differ on what makes a city asset good:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1262403

The policy principles are clear despite the way hiding museum assets from the public muddies the discussion. Better policies and practices could provide the funds that make the DIA an even better asset

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    2. The more I think about the idea that art would be sold in receivership, the more I am convinced that the state would intervene to prevent this from happening. The state has given the museum many millions of dollars over the years and is as much a stakeholder in this as anyone. If Michigan's trove of great art [[yes, much of it claimed by Detroit) is lost, the state gets a black eye.
    Linda Sugin studies art museum ownership by non-museums, and might beg to differ on any state intervention:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1607133

The legal principles and Detroit's rights are quite clear despite the way hiding museum assets from the public muddies the discussion. Of course, if Detroit even nods in the direction of mobilizing its art assets there's no chance a receiver or emergency financial manager or bankruptcy judge would ever have any say over selling the City's art assets. Standing pat is the only way Detroit gives up control and risks a black eye for Detroiters and other Michiganders, so let's hope Detroit takes action.

"The store of value concept keeps a lot of gold vaults in business, Baselinepunk. Of course, art in a museum is even better than gold in a vault because art investing is socially-responsible It stimulates artistry rather than holes in the ground [[some where you dig the gold out, others where you lock the gold in)."

That's what I thought. Gold and art are two completely different "things". Further, you did not name one repository that uses this "concept" you're suggesting. You tried to name a type, and tried to extrapolate concepts and practices between apples and oranges.

Coaccession Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    That's what I thought. Gold and art are two completely different "things".
    Is too! Is not!! Is too!!! Is not!!!! OK, I give. Art is not a store of value. But then, I'm easy. Try to convince Sotheby's, Christie's and the art dealers, not to mention the collectors.

Further, you did not name one repository that uses this "concept" you're suggesting.
    It's a new idea. Call the cops.

You tried to name a type, and tried to extrapolate concepts and practices between apples and oranges.
    You know, there are two kinds of people in this world... the kind of people who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and the kind who don't. And the kind that think about museums without getting a museum education... well, those are the worst kind of all.

Hey! Where's your blog?

"Is too! Is not!! Is too!!! Is not!!!! OK, I give. Art is not a store of value. But then, I'm easy. Try to convince Sotheby's, Christie's and the art dealers, not to mention the collectors."

Why would I have to? Those places do not function like an ethical collections department such as the DIA.

"It's a new idea. Call the cops."

Seriously? Lame. It's not new. Capitalist Pig Dogs having been doing this for yearsssss.

"You know, there are two kinds of people in this world... the kind of people who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and the kind who don't. And the kind that think about museums without getting a museum education... well, those are the worst kind of all."

lol. False Dichotomy. Ooopps. My bad. You actually listed three types of people when you were trying to make a point about only two types of people.

Perhaps False Trihotomy? lol.

"Hey! Where's your blog?"

Why in Hell would I need a blog? Blogs are soooooo 20th Century. Are you looking for me to add you to my Live Journal, too?
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; January-04-12 at 08:57 PM.

Reminds me of the people pushing this....http://www.interstatetraveler.us/