Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    When I was in grade school we had air raid drills. Like hiding under your desk would save you from an atomic bomb.
    When I went to Anthony Wayne Elementary, Andrew Jackson Intermediate, and Denby High School, we went down into the steam tunnels under the school for our bomb drills. We were told we would come above ground to total devastation and maybe our parents might be alive to find us.

When we moved to Rochester, the schools had no deep basements and the dril was to get under your desk, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    When I went to Anthony Wayne Elementary, Andrew Jackson Intermediate, and Denby High School, we went down into the steam tunnels under the school for our bomb drills. We were told we would come above ground to total devastation and maybe our parents might be alive to find us.

When we moved to Rochester, the schools had no deep basements and the dril was to get under your desk, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.
    At my suburban middle school [[Built in the early 1960's) there was basically a bomb shelter. A full poured concrete basement under the main part of the building with large reinforced doors and built in large stair wells for student access. There was nothing else down there, few if any pipes, HVAC, nothing. It was obvious it was purpose built as a shelter, but in the early 1990's it was just an awesome indoor dodgeball room. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    , stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.
    That took me back 50 yrs. When I was in basic, our DI asked what to do in case of a nuke attack, I raised my hand to answer, and related your exact words. He wasn't amused....I was doing pushups forever. lol