Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 48 of 263 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 58 98 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Great memory, J. Sat in the bleachers a quite a few times myself back in the day. The tickets were $1.00 and later $2.00 and you're in the park. Throw in a beach ball on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and it don't get much funner than that.
    I remember being infuriated the year that the city started tacking on a 25 cent surcharge to ticket sales. Before that a five dollar bill was good for a seat and four beers. After that I had to scrounge an extra quarter!

More Briggs and Navin Field goodies
    Last edited by zitro; March-23-10 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    More Briggs and Navin Field goodies
    Z, you are the king of memorabilia. Lots of great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Tsom, I share your pain. I'm guessing that surcharge was the beginning of the end.

Ok all fellow St. Judians...Our most recent conversations have centered around the Tigers and Tiger Stadium. On that note........
    TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: What is your most memorable, most cherished, unforgetable moment/game at Tiger Stadium. I'm sure most of us can cite many but if possible report the number one event.

I guess I'll start

1968, Tigers. vs. Orioles..my dad and I sitting in left field decided to walk around and grab some refreshments. We stopped at the concorse right behind home plate to catch the action on the field. At that moment the Orioles had runners on 1st and 2nd...Denny McClain delivered a fast ball which was lined right back to his glove side [[It happened so fast it took him a second to realize the ball landed in his glove.). Runners were going.....McClain, made a quick throw to second, relay back to first....TRIPLE PLAY. An old timer was standing on the other side of my dad. After the triple play he looked right at me and said. "I've been coming to this ball park for over 50 years and never seen a triple play till now and you ain't ever gonna see one again" He had been at that park when it was Navin Field and seen all the greats including Ty Cobb, Heilmann and all the greats from other teams including Babe Ruth. I'll never forget the cigarette hanging from his mouth, his piercing eyes,and the sense of seriousness in reporting his story. I've passed that story on to my kids. Interestingly, my son saw a triple play at Tiger Stadium in the late 90s. It was at a game that I almost went to with him......It was fate...The old timer perhaps was right.....never did see another triple play.

OK, it's a repeat from above:
    I was a bleacher creature more than a few times, and I can testify that there was some of that there evil marijahoochie shit being indulged in up in that there upper deck. Some guy fired one up down the row from us, and one of Detroit's Finest came up and grabbed his baggie of 'stuff'. The cop held it up over his head and emptied it onto the cement and then danced on it to grind it into unusability, to the cheers and moans of the crowd. It was hilarious. He didn't arrest the guy, just took a bow after his dance was over and then walked away.

Tough call on this one. I aways dreamed of the moment when I could walk my first son up the ramp at Tiger Stadium for the first time and see the look in his eyes when the majesty of the place open up to us and is was indeed a choking moment for me.

However, my most memorable moment had to be on September 19th, 1968. In order to set this up, if we remember, the Tigers clinched the Pennant on Sept. 17th against the Yankees. It was the last series of the year between the 2 clubs and the following day would be the last game. My parents had box seats right next to the Yankees dugout for this game. Now, my mother could have cared less about going to the game but it a date night for them and I was seething with jealousy.

As fate would have it, the game was rained out and had to played the next day which was a travel day. It was scheduled as a day game. At this point my mother had no desire to go so my dad took me out of school to go.

Trading in our rain check tickets we couldn't get the same seats but managed some nice box seats in between the dugout and home on the 3rd base side. The ironic part about this game is the fact that in 1968 unlike today, most Detroiters were working and the attendance for the game was a mere 9,063 yet today I believe the attendance of everyone who has claimed to be there is now upwards of something like 100,000.

The starting pitchers for the game were Mel Stottlemyre for the Yanks and 30 game winner Denny Mclain for the Tigs.

My memories of the game included Norn Cash hitting 2 homeruns to leftfield which he almost never hit a ball to left. Also, this was the famous "Grooved Pitch" game in which Mickey Mantle who had already announced he would be retiring at the end of the season was about to come up for his last at bat in Tiger Stadium a place I'm sure he had fond memories of since he hit 3 homers out of the place.

The story behind the pitch is the Jim Price and Denny agreed to groove one to Mantle since the Tigs were up 6-1 anyway and the next home run would vault Mantle pass Jimmie Foxx [[The Beast) on the all time home run list.

Mantle claimed intially he thought he was being setup for a brush back pitch when Price told him what was coming so he took the first melon Mclain threw to him. We were all slamming those wooden seats hoping to see him hit one and the next pitch he slammed into the upper deck in right. Game ends with Denny winning his 31st victory of the year.

After the game we hung outside the visitors exit by the Yankees bus, hoping for Mantle to come out and sign autographs. The press had him tied up in the locker room and the rest of the team was already on the bus. I manage to get Elston Howards autograph, Frankie Crosetti's [[coach) and even Rocky Colovito's who also retired at the end of that season as a member of the Yanks. Mantle came running out of the stadium onto the bus and it whooshed off.

My dad took me took me to Lindell AC afterwards for a burger and we had heard Mclain was going there after the game. Were sitting there eating and these2 youngs guys were sitting next to us and this one leans over to me and say" Hey kid, you looking for autographs?" I said "Sure" He then point to this guy sitting at the bar and says "That's Eddie Matthews' I look over and I see this balding older guy with a cardigan sweater on slugging down a beer like any normal Joe and I ask my dad "Is that him?" He could'nt tell either so I go up and ask him sure enough it was Eddie Matthews. Later Norm Cash came in but I could really get close to him but a waitress got an autogrpah for me. Mclain never did show up.

To this day, as much stuff that I still have from my childhood for the life of me I don't know whatever happend to those autographs, although I did mange to get The Rocks, Matthews & Mantle's later at card shows. Here is a link to the box score of that game.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96809190.shtml

Sorry to being so long winded with this memory but it obviously is one that is indelibly etched in my mind.
    Last edited by zitro; June-06-09 at 03:48 PM.

Tough call on this one. I aways dreamed of the moment when I could walk my first son up the ramp at Tiger Stadium for the first time and see the look in his eyes when the majesty of the place open up to us and is was indeed a choking moment for me.

However, my most memorable moment had to be on September 19th, 1968. In order to set this up, if we remember, the Tigers clinched the Pennant on Sept. 17th against the Yankees. It was the last series of the year between the 2 clubs and the following day would be the last game. My parents had box seats right next to the Yankees dugout for this game. Now, my mother could have cared less about going to the game but it a date night for them and I was seething with jealousy.

As fate would have it, the game was rained out and had to played the next day which was a travel day. It was scheduled as a day game. At this point my mother had no desire to go so my dad took me out of school to go.

Trading in our rain check tickets we couldn't get the same seats but managed some nice box seats in between the dugout and home on the 3rd base side. The ironic part about this game is the fact that in 1968 unlike today, most Detroiters were working and the attendance for the game was a mere 9,063 yet today I believe the attendance of everyone who has claimed to be there is now upwards of something like 100,000.

The starting pitchers for the game were Mel Stottlemyre for the Yanks and 30 game winner Denny Mclain for the Tigs.

My memories of the game included Norn Cash hitting 2 homeruns to leftfield which he almost never hit a ball to left. Also, this was the famous "Grooved Pitch" game in which Mickey Mantle who had already announced he would be retiring at the end of the season was about to come up for his last at bat in Tiger Stadium a place I'm sure he had fond memories of since he holds the record for most Hr's hit out of the park[[4).

The story behind the pitch is the Jim Price and Denny agreed to groove one to Mantle since the Tigs were up 6-1 anyway and the next home run would vault Mantle pass Jimmie Foxx [[The Beast) on the all time home run list.

Mantle claimed intially he thought he was being setup for a brush back pitch when Price told him what was coming so he took the first melon Mclain threw to him. We were all slamming those wooden seats hoping to see him hit one and the next pitch he slammed into the upper deck in right. Game ends with Denny winning his 31st victory of the year.

After the game we hung outside the visitors exit by the Yankees bus, hoping for Mantle to come out and sign autographs. The press had him tied up in the locker room and the rest of the team was already on the bus. I manage to get Elston Howards autograph, Frankie Crosetti's [[coach) and even Rocky Colovito's who also retired at the end of that season as a member of the Yanks. Mantle came running out of the stadium onto the bus and it whooshed off.

My dad took me took me to Lindell AC afterwards for a burger and we had heard Mclain was going there after the game. Were sitting there eating and these2 youngs guys were sitting next to us and this one leans over to me and say" Hey kid, you looking for autographs?" I said "Sure" He then point to this guy sitting at the bar and says "That's Eddie Matthews' I look over and I see this balding older guy with a cardigan sweater on slugging down a beer like any normal Joe and I ask my dad "Is that him?" He could'nt tell either so I go up and ask him sure enough it was Eddie Matthews. Later Norm Cash came in but I could really get close to him but a waitress got an autogrpah for me. Mclain never did show up.

To this day, as much stuff that I still have from my childhood for the life of me I don't know whatever happend to those autographs, although I did mange to get The Rocks, Matthews & Mantle's later at card shows. Here is a link to the box score of that game.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96809190.shtml

Sorry to being so long winded with this memory but it obviously is one that is indelibly etched in my mind.
    Damn, that was a big day for a 12 year old, wasn't it, Z? Great story

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Damn, that was a big day for a 12 year old, wasn't it, Z? Great story

Thanks JC, yes not a bad day for a 12 year old, it's like it happened yesterday

It's funny how we can remember the stuff that happened 40 years ago, but last night I couldn't find my cell phone

It's funny how we can remember the stuff that happened 40 years ago, but last night I couldn't find my cell phone

That's funny!! Kind of sad and true but funny nonetheless

Well, at least we still know how to log on here, and talk about it.

Zitro: That is a great story. I do remember that grooved pitch game. I believe McClain gave a wink and a nod to Mantle. It was televised on WJBK. 1968 was a great year for memories wasn't it? It's a shame the Lindell AC had to close down..what a treasure of nostalgia [[and good burgers)

JC: There can be a whole novel written about the bleacher scene. Your cop story says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Zitro: 1968 was a great year for memories wasn't it?
    When the Tigers won, my dad and I headed down to Metro Airport to greet the team. They allowed everyone on the tarmac and we were rushing every plane that was taxiing in. Eventually my dad tired and went in the terminal and I was having a blast running all the planes down. After about 2 hours word had spread the Tigers were landing at Willow Run instead. I went into the terminal to find dad and couldn't. Panic set in, I had no idea what to do, eventually I thought to call my mother and just when I was talking to her my dad passed in front of me. He had heard of the Tigers switching airports but couldn't find me in time.

Disappointed as I was to miss them I think I was more glad to be found.
    Last edited by zitro; June-06-09 at 03:00 PM.

Drop it!!!

Drop it!!!
    Those pens are a dirty bunch, that's for sure. Cindy's one spoiled brat girl.

Welcome home, EB. How was the trip? Pics?
    Not home yet. Rode 660 miles, 12 hours from NC to PA. I'm leaving the BMW here & bringing the VStrom rig home for my trip to the sidecar raly at Lake Tahoe on 6/14.

Will post pix on FB when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Ok all fellow St. Judians...Our most recent conversations have centered around the Tigers and Tiger Stadium. On that note........
    TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: What is your most memorable, most cherished, unforgetable moment/game at Tiger Stadium. I'm sure most of us can cite many but if possible report the number one event.

I guess I'll start

1968, Tigers. vs. Orioles..my dad and I sitting in left field decided to walk around and grab some refreshments. We stopped at the concorse right behind home plate to catch the action on the field. At that moment the Orioles had runners on 1st and 2nd...Denny McClain delivered a fast ball which was lined right back to his glove side [[It happened so fast it took him a second to realize the ball landed in his glove.). Runners were going.....McClain, made a quick throw to second, relay back to first....TRIPLE PLAY. An old timer was standing on the other side of my dad. After the triple play he looked right at me and said. "I've been coming to this ball park for over 50 years and never seen a triple play till now and you ain't ever gonna see one again" He had been at that park when it was Navin Field and seen all the greats including Ty Cobb, Heilmann and all the greats from other teams including Babe Ruth. I'll never forget the cigarette hanging from his mouth, his piercing eyes,and the sense of seriousness in reporting his story. I've passed that story on to my kids. Interestingly, my son saw a triple play at Tiger Stadium in the late 90s. It was at a game that I almost went to with him......It was fate...The old timer perhaps was right.....never did see another triple play.
    See earlier post for my memorable moments at TS.

Nice story of the triple play, KR. I was at home listening to the WJR broadcast of that game on my transistor radio from Olsen Electronic's, when I heard the word's "triple play", and I could hardly believe it, and to top it off, my nine volt conked out right then, and it took about a minute for our tube radio to warm up so I could find out if I had heard it right.

Denny McClain used to be a hero to that 10 year old kid. Boy was he sadly mistaken and disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Not home yet. Rode 660 miles, 12 hours from NC to PA. I'm leaving the BMW here & bringing the VStrom rig home for my trip to the sidecar raly at Lake Tahoe on 6/14.

Will post pix on FB when I get home.
    Safe travels, my friend. Thanks for checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Those pens are a dirty bunch, that's for sure. Cindy's one spoiled brat girl.

Cindy couldn't even play the last 10 minutes and Michelle Malkin is a sissy too. Throw another cheap elbow you crud

Well, I can see that everybody is in somewhat better spirits after this game. I'll bet Cindy will have to be rocked to sleep tonight with his binky and dolly.

Well, I can see that everybody is in somewhat better spirits after this game. I'll bet Cindy will have to be rocked to sleep tonight with his binky and dolly.
    Socks out or not this evening, J?

I went with '02 stuff instead of '08, myself.

I was at a wedding, and left the socks home in the corner. They've been bad.

Another long time member of the parish has passed. Mr. Lazzeri and hs son John were long time members of the choir.

LAZZERI JOHN P
    Age 80, June 4, 2009. Beloved husband of Phyllis [[nee Martin). Loving father of Kathy [[John) Richardson, Judy [[Mike) Norton, John [[Ali), Patty [[finacé Jeff Voss) Sayed and Nancy [[Roger) Hagener. Dear grandfather of David, Kate, Nicole, Emily, Michael, Cari, Becky, Jeff, Abby, Ian, Jordan and great-grand-father of Olivia, Alexa, Julia, Molly, Hayden and Henry. Dear brother of Louie [[Theresa), Teresa Poma and the late Cyril. Visitation Sunday 4-8p.m. with a 7:30p.m. Rosary at Wujek-Calcaterra & Sons, Inc., 36900 Schoenherr Rd. at Metro Pkwy. [[16 Mile Rd.) Funeral Monday, in state 9:30a.m. at San Francesco, 22870 S. Nunneley Rd. [[E. of Gratiot, S. of Metro Pkwy.) until time of Mass at 10a.m. Interment Resurrection Cemetery. Donations preferred to the National Parkinson Foundation, 1501 N.W. 9th Ave., Bob Hope Road, Miami, Florida 33136-1494. Share memories with the family at their "On-Line Guest Book" at WjuekCalcaterra.com.

Another long time member of the parish has passed. Mr. Lazzeri and hs son John were long time members of the choir.

LAZZERI JOHN P
    Age 80, June 4, 2009. Beloved husband of Phyllis [[nee Martin). Loving father of Kathy [[John) Richardson, Judy [[Mike) Norton, John [[Ali), Patty [[finacé Jeff Voss) Sayed and Nancy [[Roger) Hagener. Dear grandfather of David, Kate, Nicole, Emily, Michael, Cari, Becky, Jeff, Abby, Ian, Jordan and great-grand-father of Olivia, Alexa, Julia, Molly, Hayden and Henry. Dear brother of Louie [[Theresa), Teresa Poma and the late Cyril. Visitation Sunday 4-8p.m. with a 7:30p.m. Rosary at Wujek-Calcaterra & Sons, Inc., 36900 Schoenherr Rd. at Metro Pkwy. [[16 Mile Rd.) Funeral Monday, in state 9:30a.m. at San Francesco, 22870 S. Nunneley Rd. [[E. of Gratiot, S. of Metro Pkwy.) until time of Mass at 10a.m. Interment Resurrection Cemetery. Donations preferred to the National Parkinson Foundation, 1501 N.W. 9th Ave., Bob Hope Road, Miami, Florida 33136-1494. Share memories with the family at their "On-Line Guest Book" at WjuekCalcaterra.com.
    May he sing with the heavenly angels now.

Anyone for a Grand Salame sandwich?

Page 48 of 263 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 58 98 148 ... LastLast