Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

woodwardboy, love the pic. Fordson Island looks a lot different than when I used to hang out there with my friends... It was all overgrown and we just called it "The Island"
    What I also love about this pic is that I think I see what my grandmother described as temporary military housing... I did always wonder where it could have been, there are only warehouses and industrial buildings there now

Quote Originally Posted by Downrivergal View Post
    woodwardboy, love the pic. Fordson Island looks a lot different than when I used to hang out there with my friends... It was all overgrown and we just called it "The Island"
    What I also love about this pic is that I think I see what my grandmother described as temporary military housing... I did always wonder where it could have been, there are only warehouses and industrial buildings there now
    It was overgrown but with a few ramshackle buildings. You could cross onto the island and there was a circular drive. There were quite a few pleasure craft, albeit not million dollar boats. The upscale yachts were usually moored elsewhere unless they decided to venture up the Rouge to explore. We often called it Treasure Island. My brother lived across the street quite a while before the neighborhood took it's last turn for the worse. He had a nice brick bungalow typical of Detroit and the burbs. I attempted to buy a building right on the river near the island to convert to lofts. It's environmental background was so bad it was recommended not to purchase it for that use.