Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

more of the old places on Morang, from Whitehill to Kelly, Ross Drugs, Gooch's, Tick Tock Market, [[remember Ruth the cashier?), Sommers Funeral Home, Dr. Heinz G. Simon, some apartments, the car wash, [[Duchess Drive In and Dr. Curtis, the dentist) were replaced by Detroit Bank & Trust, Krupa's - then it was Roaring 20's market, then a stereo place, Saphire Gift Shop, a dive shop, a pizza place, another drug store and a butcher market, next to another shoe place or barber. Across Morang, was the Terrace restaurant, Ervinck's, the MG place, Wooden Shoe bakery, Fran's beauty shop and of course the Chop Suey place.

Wasn't the name of the MG dealer Lang"s. I always thought it a strange coincidence that the name was one letter off from the street it bordered.

While were on the subject of places on Morang, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the A&W drive in that was there for a while. Was that the same site as the Duchess Drive-in?

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    more of the old places on Morang, from Whitehill to Kelly, Ross Drugs, Gooch's, Tick Tock Market, [[remember Ruth the cashier?), Sommers Funeral Home, Dr. Heinz G. Simon, some apartments, the car wash, [[Duchess Drive In and Dr. Curtis, the dentist) were replaced by Detroit Bank & Trust, Krupa's - then it was Roaring 20's market, then a stereo place, Saphire Gift Shop, a dive shop, a pizza place, another drug store and a butcher market, next to another shoe place or barber. Across Morang, was the Terrace restaurant, Ervinck's, the MG place, Wooden Shoe bakery, Fran's beauty shop and of course the Chop Suey place.
    I had completely forgotten "the MG place" but vaguely remember it now that it's been mentioned. The Chop Suey place of course was Pagoda near Morang and Riad and I posted a picture on this or another thread of the intersection of Kelly/Morang with Pagoda's BARELY visible in the distant background. I had also forgotten about the Wooden Shoe bakery but remember it now. Also in that area and I think it may have been next to Pagoda's was Indian Village Cleaners. I don't remember Ross, Gooch, or Tick-tock but I do remember Sapphire Gift Shop - my grandmother used to like to shop there. I can even visualize the blue neon cursive-writing store name sign in the window. Wasn't Saphhire replaced by an "EYE EXAM" place? And I do mean "EYE EXAM" in big caps because the sign in the window was a big, bold "EYE EXAMS"!

Of course we can't forget Chathams, and the church south of it on Kelly - forgot the name of it? Peace Lutheran? Or possibly Angels-something? [[no, I know it wasn't Guardian Angels which was on the corner of Rochelle and Kelly). How could I forget - that was where I went to vote in my first election, 1980 [[and was SOOO glad to see that incompetent couldn't-decide-anything Jimmy Carter crying those tears in his concession speech when he got rightfully TROUNCED).
    Last edited by EMG; August-06-09 at 02:47 PM.