Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I can't really comment much about the DDOT situation, but regarding the snow, I was impressed that he even had a plan. He was talking about what they were going to do on Friday before the storm hit. I can't remember a Detroit mayor taking to the airwaves with their snow storm plan ahead of the storm in the past.
    That's how it use to be in Detroit when I was growing up in the 60's and early to mid 70's. The snow was always plowed, until the crooks slowly started emptying the cookie jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That's how it use to be in Detroit when I was growing up in the 60's and early to mid 70's. The snow was always plowed, until the crooks slowly started emptying the cookie jar.
    As a resident of Detroit since 1968, I don't remember the City plowing residential streets until the mid 1990's under the Archer administration. Archer acquiesced after a media firestorm ensued when then DPS super Eddie Green closed schools because students couldn't get there because roads and sidewalks were impassable. Green urged students to use their snow day to shovel and help out their neighbors. Prior to this, block clubs would hire private contractors for their snow removal as we did on Clements Street.

If I remember correctly, where I grew up [[ Littlefield between Vassar and St Martins ) The streets were not plowed after storms.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If I remember correctly, where I grew up [[ Littlefield between Vassar and St Martins ) The streets were not plowed after storms.
    I agree. I grew up in Detroit and was born in the mid-60's never saw a plow on local streets until a huge snow storm when Archer was in office. I do remember the block getting together and paying a guy with a jeep to sweep the walks with this cool attachment. Saw a lot of kids shagging to school though!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree. I grew up in Detroit and was born in the mid-60's never saw a plow on local streets until a huge snow storm when Archer was in office. I do remember the block getting together and paying a guy with a jeep to sweep the walks with this cool attachment. Saw a lot of kids shagging to school though!
    I know what you're talking about, I remember the jeep with the spinning broom on the front doing the sidewalks.

to be fair, the crooks started way before that. there was just so much money left we didn't notice until then :-)